Rumor: Canadiens informed Pacioretty they will not negotiate a contract extension with him

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
This is right. 7 mil is a reasonable number for Max - the main issue is the term. Players like Max (in style) tend to fall off a cliff around 33 or so. He's not a 200 foot demon or a center who could still be valuable in other ways, say as a top-end shutdown center, once his skills and speed decline a little. If Max isn't scoring 28-36 goals a year, he's not worth much. So, I could see teams paying him handsomely but only for 5 years max... no way 7.

I think JVR's 7x5 is a very good measuring stick for Max. To be honest, if he's willing to do that, I think the Habs could actually get a semi-decent return for him. But the Tiffoli + Vilardi talk is foolish. The Kings wouldn't trade either of them for Max, let alone both. MAYBE a Toffoli 1-for-1.

I totally disagree. Shot doesn't regress with age and it's Max best tool. Style wise, he's mostly a perimeter player with a long reach/good frame and good skating. Best comparable style wise and even career production is probably Marleau. Marleau is still a 25 g scorer at 38yo (turning 39 in sept).

I would easily sign him for 6 years at 7-7.5M if I was a team contending in the next few years. Even for the habs if that doesn't come with a no movement close.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
This is right. 7 mil is a reasonable number for Max - the main issue is the term. Players like Max (in style) tend to fall off a cliff around 33 or so. He's not a 200 foot demon or a center who could still be valuable in other ways, say as a top-end shutdown center, once his skills and speed decline a little. If Max isn't scoring 28-36 goals a year, he's not worth much. So, I could see teams paying him handsomely but only for 5 years max... no way 7.

I think JVR's 7x5 is a very good measuring stick for Max. To be honest, if he's willing to do that, I think the Habs could actually get a semi-decent return for him. But the Tiffoli + Vilardi talk is foolish. The Kings wouldn't trade either of them for Max, let alone both. MAYBE a Toffoli 1-for-1.
While true... patches finished 6th in selke voting and is one of the best defensive forwards in the game and is a great penalty killer, so he does bring other intangibles to the game other than scoring.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Nah. Someone just came up with a no chance of happening trade that included him. I was bored so I cherry picked some stats to show Backes was the better player so why should Boston be adding pieces.

I apologize for riling up the kids.

Truthfully though, Backes might be better. By the stats. That I picked.
i can respect riling up hab fans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad