Recalled/Assigned: Canadiens Cut 26 players

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Hudon was cut.

Also, weird tweet from John Shannon

John Shannon
‏@JSportsnet
Canadiens announce Nikita Scherbak is being returned to the WHL...this season,Everett. Quietly they were disappointed with the Rd 1st Pick.

Bwahahahaha Who is this John Shannon and why should I care what he says?

Habs quietly disappointed with Sherbak? is like saying GM MB was crushed when they reached the semi-finals - what a ..............

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
if any one but beaulieu is the number 6 at the beginning of the season i will be surprised well unless its frankie boo

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nygren in Hamilton...that's an interesting developing story. Will he ask for a trade? I know there's way too many d-men....but I would have made room in the organization for Yuen. Not sure if he was interested in joining Wheeling. Rest, I couldn't care much. Oh and time to move from the Patrick Holland experiment. Let's get another prospect out of this guy. I'd try the Scott Glennie experiment.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Nygren could be a star on a team willing to give him a fair shot, but I guess the Habs are just too stacked on D to give one of the top defensemen in the SEL a chance to show what he can do...

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Nygren could be a star on a team willing to give him a fair shot, but I guess the Habs are just too stacked on D to give one of the top defensemen in the SEL a chance to show what he can do...

How is he a star in the SHL? Is it because he was named best Swedish Defenceman in the league a couple years ago. Lets take a look at other stars who have won this award. Winners of the Borje Salming Trophy as best Swedish Defenceman in the SHL (formerly SEL).

2007–08 Mikko Luoma HV71
2008–09 Marcus Ragnarsson Djurgårdens IF
2009–10 Magnus Johansson Linköpings HC
2010–11 David Rundblad Skellefteå AIK
2011–12 Mattias Ekholm Brynäs IF
2012–13 Magnus Nygren Färjestad BK
2013–14 Patrik Hersley Leksands IF

Hmmm.... maybe being a star in the SHL (SEL) is no guarantee of future NHL success.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Nygren in Hamilton...that's an interesting developing story. Will he ask for a trade? I know there's way too many d-men....but I would have made room in the organization for Yuen. Not sure if he was interested in joining Wheeling. Rest, I couldn't care much. Oh and time to move from the Patrick Holland experiment. Let's get another prospect out of this guy. I'd try the Scott Glennie experiment.

I think Therrien stating that Nygren would not go back to Europe before the pre-season games started was a hint that management & Nygren's camp had already agreed that he would play in Hamilton. Hence the early cut :nod:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think Therrien stating that Nygren would not go back to Europe before the pre-season games started was a hint that management & Nygren's camp had already agreed that he would play in Hamilton. Hence the early cut :nod:

It's more likely they agreed to trade him if he didn't make the team. No point in forcing someone to be unhappy to show how big your dick is. It will just bring down team morale in Hamilton.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I really don't care what Nygren did in Hamilton. That team was a circus with a coach who should have been sacked at least a year ago.

The thing is, he just might not be that good.

Though I'd rather see him get a chance than Francis ****ing Bouillon.

Seems like a lot of guys here have let their emotions get in the way of making an objective evaluation. If he is good enough he should stay and if not then he deserves time in Hamilton, as you stated.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
He did pretty well for a 1st year guy, not gonna make the team but no harm in keeping him around.

"Pretty well" (which I disagree with personally by the way) shouldn't cut it for a top end organisation. He didn't put himself in the conversation to make the team so he was cut. And i'm okay with it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Truly don't care. He quit on his teammates last year. Hope he goes back to Europe.

C'mon, how do you know that's what really happened. He should be quitting on Habs fans who have nothing better to do than assassinate players' reputations behind the anonymity of a laptop. He will be an NHL player, regardless of how the Habs handle him. This Hamilton stuff is just gratuitous garbage.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
"Pretty well" (which I disagree with personally by the way) shouldn't cut it for a top end organisation. He didn't put himself in the conversation to make the team so he was cut. And i'm okay with it.

Context and expectation are everything here.

DLR is a 19 years old coming directly from Europe, so yeah he did pretty well for his first pro camp, not nhl ready yet but the potential is there.

But obviously if you were expecting him to crack the lineup then yeah he was average.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
It's more likely they agreed to trade him if he didn't make the team. No point in forcing someone to be unhappy to show how big your dick is. It will just bring down team morale in Hamilton.

So you think they will trade him? We'll see.

I don't think it's entirely fair to assume Nygren is unhappy about it. People can change their minds.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Context and expectation are everything here.

DLR is a 19 years old coming directly from Europe, so yeah he did pretty well for his first pro camp, not nhl ready yet but the potential is there.

But obviously if you were expecting him to crack the lineup then yeah he was average.

Precisely.

Given its rich history and achievements of past, I have always held the Montreal Canadiens organisation to the highest of all standards and I don't feel like I should ever do anything less.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Nygren's problem is twofold.
The spot that is actually open in his case would be 7th D he needs to be a 5-6 minimum.
On the right side he would have needed to beat Gilbert. Weaver plays a specific role Nygren can't fill and he isn't displacing PK. The position is likely to go to Tinner. He had a tough game tonight but it seemed Therrien was very much behind him and PK likes when he plays that way. Tinner has the advantage of having played both RD and LD for this club has a physical presence and can drop them...

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

We'll see, but I really don't see a team trading for this guy and penciling him on the NHL roster. He'll have to earn his spot on whatever team trades for him and he could very well be sent down from that team. From Nygren's camp, is it really worth the trouble to force a trade only to end up on a different AHL team? Doesn't seem smart to me - especially if the Habs actually have a plan for him. With only Gilbert and Weaver as NHL caliber RD's behind Subban, I think the Habs would like to keep him around at least for another year.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I didn't expect Nygren to start in Montreal but should have been keep longer, or longer than Bouillon away...

Scherbak was he injured against Colorado?

Galchenyuk at center isn't very conclusive to me...

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
I would like to keep 8 d-men to start the season.

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gilbert
Beaulieu- Waever
Bouillon or Drewiske - Pateryn

There is a high probability of an injury but if everyone is healthy send someone back to Hamilton in November.

Bouillon - Drewiske souldnt play and are there just in case Beaulieu - Pateryn are really struggling.

As for Tinordi, he improved but I dont think his skating is good enough yet

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes