GDT: Canadians vs. Devils 7:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Good morning all. I had a dream the Devils blew a 3-0 lead against the Canadiens and Ilya Kovalchuk scored the GWG in a shootout

Also in my dream Will Butcher transformed into one of the dancing Charmin bears

hqdefault.jpg

Ultra Slow Ultra Soft

Last edited:

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Was just watching the highlights. Was Butcher as
Terrible as he seemed?
Yes. Him and mueller were on for 20+plus attempts against while we only had 7 chances in our favor. They were both horrendous and the worst defensemen on the team. White was above 50% corsi wise. Much better skater too.

Reactions: Devilcake

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
But while we are on the subject of bonehead personnel moves, what about Will Butcher’s overtime shifts. Don’t know what Nas was thinking having him out there repeatedly in a situation where speed and strength are both key. People just skate rings around him.

The problem is that the options at that point were -

Butcher
Mueller
White
Carrick

We iced a truly terrible roster.

Camille the Eel

They don't have better options. The other choices are Greene, Mueller, White, and Carrick. Butcher is slow but he can find the open man.

They should consider 3 F-0 D in that position.
Any of those others would have been superior. Even the rookie. Butcher almost lost us the game on every shift.

Use 3 forwards if you have to. It’s been done. In fact Julien used to do it in Boston.

Earlier, Butcher single handedly got the Habs comeback into full gear by getting beat cleanly, on the Habs 2d goal. A 35 year old forward literally skates a ring around him from the blue line in and gets in alone on Domingue.

Yeah Butcher has vision. He’s a non stop disaster.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Any of those others would have been superior. Even the rookie. Butcher almost lost us the game on every shift.

Use 3 forwards if you have to. It’s been done. In fact Julien used to do it in Boston.

Earlier, Butcher single handedly got the Habs comeback into full gear by getting beat cleanly, on the Habs 2d goal. A 35 year old forward literally skates a ring around him from the blue line in and gets in alone on Domingue.

Yeah Butcher has vision. He’s a non stop disaster.
Why couldn’t Domingue try and poke check there? If Domingue was a competent goalie (he’s not even close to being competent) he would have at least attempted to poke check and maybe everyone here forgets about what Butcher did.

And if Domingue tried but failed, at least he tried and put in effort. But he didn’t. He just stayed there and did nothing.

When you have goalies like Schneider and Domingue playing for this team, who have a combined save percentage of .871% in 20 combined games played and 18 combined starts, it skews everything and throws player perception out of whack. It makes it impossible to evaluate players when goalies have stopped only 87% of the shots in 36% of the games so far.

Domingue is a f***in bum, Schneider is about as well done as a piece of bread that was left in the toaster so long that it caught fire and destroyed your kitchen.

It’s hard to really tell who actually is and isn’t bad when these two have appeared in 38% of your team’s games on the season.

Meanwhile, back in the land of the actual worst defense in the NHL, Robin Lehner has a .922% behind a team that’s ancient and has their 36 year old defenseman playing a trillion minutes a night and they’re 4 games above NHL .500. And he was a UFA last year and makes a million less than Schneider a season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Good morning all. I had a dream the Devils blew a 3-0 lead against the Canadiens and Ilya Kovalchuk scored the GWG in a shootout

Also in my dream Will Butcher transformed into one of the dancing Charmin bears

hqdefault.jpg

Ultra Slow Ultra Soft
Ya, it's one thing when a guy like Radulov is blowing past you, but Nate Thompson?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Gotta say Kovy did look pretty good last night. Not HOF dynamic goal scorer, but certainly not the washed up has been I hoped we would see.

Don't know if he learned a lesson and is now playing inspired hockey, but man it certainly looks like LA played that super poorly. From start to finish.

Reactions: mdj12784

Camille the Eel

Why couldn’t Domingue try and poke check there? If Domingue was a competent goalie (he’s not even close to being competent) he would have at least attempted to poke check and maybe everyone here forgets about what Butcher did.

And if Domingue tried but failed, at least he tried and put in effort. But he didn’t. He just stayed there and did nothing.

When you have goalies like Schneider and Domingue playing for this team, who have a combined save percentage of .871% in 20 combined games played and 18 combined starts, it skews everything and throws player perception out of whack. It makes it impossible to evaluate players when goalies have stopped only 87% of the shots in 36% of the games so far.

Domingue is a ****in bum, Schneider is about as well done as a piece of bread that was left in the toaster so long that it caught fire and destroyed your kitchen.

It’s hard to really tell who actually is and isn’t bad when these two have appeared in 38% of your team’s games on the season.

Meanwhile, back in the land of the actual worst defense in the NHL, Robin Lehner has a .922% behind a team that’s ancient and has their 36 year old defenseman playing a trillion minutes a night and they’re 4 games above NHL .500. And he was a UFA last year and makes a million less than Schneider a season.
Yeah and my apologies to all for being on a rant. Everyone (or at least a fair number of us) seem to develop a pet peeve or particular scapegoat watching this team. Seems to be part of the experience. I didn’t realize I had fastened on Butcher until I reread myself.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah and my apologies to all for being on a rant. Everyone (or at least a fair number of us) seem to develop a pet peeve or particular scapegoat watching this team. Seems to be part of the experience. I didn’t realize I had fastened on Butcher until I reread myself.
It's no problem, what would this place be without a little ranting? BORING!:laugh:

But I don't disagree that Butcher definitely deserves criticism, but I still see him as being no worse than the 4th best defenseman on this team.

One interesting thing about Butcher this year is that he has 18 even strength points and 19 overall. He only has one power play point this year, so he's producing very well at even strength, but his on-ice shooting percentage is 11%.

He did have his fourth highest ice time of the season last night, in no small part due to Vatanen and Subban being out. It was only his third game of being over 20 minutes in the 2020 calendar year. Most of his higher minute games seem to have come when Hynes was still the coach.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I think the biggest problem with our smallish and offensive D-men is they are paired with each other instead of a huge physical D-man. Take a look at Rafalski his rookie season, he was paired with Stevens, which helped take the pressure of him and he thrived and while I defended Shero for the most part I was his biggest critic when it came to our blueline and I believe it cost him his job in the end, no matter how small or fast the NHL gets, to win you always going to need D-men who are big, tough and will force the opposing forwards to look up to see who is on the ice for us when they step on the ice. Ask yourselves who is our toughest and most rugged D-man on our roster and you will shudder in horror.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I think the biggest problem with our smallish and offensive D-men is they are paired with each other instead of a huge physical D-man. Take a look at Rafalski his rookie season, he was paired with Stevens, which helped take the pressure of him and he thrived and while I defended Shero for the most part I was his biggest critic when it came to our blueline and I believe it cost him his job in the end, no matter how small or fast the NHL gets, to win you always going to need D-men who are big, tough and will force the opposing forwards to look up to see who is on the ice for us when they step on the ice. Ask yourselves who is our toughest and most rugged D-man on our roster and you will shudder in horror.

Subban and Severson are our leaders among the defensemen for hits with 67 and 64. Coleman has more than them combined and Simmonds isn't too far away from that either.

In other words, our dmen are soft as baby shit

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

It's very obviously Subban, but it is not 2000. Scott Stevens would've be suspended now for most of his big hits. What the Devils need are good defensemen - a big, physical D who sucks isn't going to do anything for this team.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Subban and Severson are our leaders among the defensemen for hits with 67 and 64. Coleman has more than them combined and Simmonds isn't too far away from that either.

In other words, our dmen are soft as baby ****

Forwards usually have more hits than defensemen for obvious reasons - of the top 30 players in hits last season, 8 were defensemen and 22 were forwards.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

That's been a gripe I've had with all our goalies including Blackwood. I'm wondering if Rollie doesn't like that, or at least never works on that with them.

Reactions: mdj12784

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Yet, if/when we get shut-down defensemen like that, half the board complains that he sucks because he never scores. The fact is, we need defenders that can defend, not necessarily score.

Of course it would be nice to have someone who can do both, but that's the 1LHD we've been looking for. It's not easy to get. Subban at this point in his career can still defend despite what many here want to believe. He just can't score anymore. Is he worth his 9M? Of course not, but he's worth keeping around for 2 more years purely for his defense since we are so full of small offensive D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad