Canadians in Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Rich Nairn ‏@RichNairn9
#Coyotes President & CEO @anthonydleblanc joins @darenmillard @RealKyper @morrisonSNET @DougMaclean on @SNHockeyCentral at 12:15 pm EST.

Source: https://twitter.com/RichNairn9

Can this appearance, by Anthony, be part of his Canadian snowbird strategy?

Because, that is all he seems to talk about anymore...that, and coffee and donuts.

th

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I dont even know what to say about any of this, these "comments & suggestions". I mean, seriously. A Tim Hortons in Westgate, the building itself is going to be a lure to in most cases monied & sophisticated Snowbirds from Canada with condo's in Scottsdale who wouldnt be caught DEAD with a Timmy's Go-Cup & a box of Timbitz in their hands? Like their going to all flock to thejob to watch a game between the Coyotes & lets say the Panthers, dropping $200+ just so they can sit there & enjoy a $2 cuppa Joe from Timmys? In the evening, just hours before their bed times... at a sporting event in the southwest with a wide range of local craft beers, heck, even a Molson Canadian if they want, nacho's & all kinds of wonderful treats but no; they'll be ordering up coffee & donuts?

You frickin kiddin me? :biglaugh:

Nope, not at all. Canadians can be a weird lot about some things, their food and shopping habits, for example.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Nope, not at all. Canadians can be a weird lot about some things, their food and shopping habits, for example.

I suppose some can, but on the whole?... when in Rome... perhaps the grilled Flamingo washed down with a strong bottle of the raisin wine Passum for example. Very popular..... so if Im in Arizona at thejob, Im wanting an ice cold sleeve of Sleepy Dog Pumpkin Pooch Hefeweizen & a plate of nacho's at like 7pm or in between the first & second periods.

... or mebbe the Sleepy Dog Leg Humper IPA. I hear thats refreshing. :P

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Can this appearance, by Anthony, be part of his Canadian snowbird strategy?... Because, that is all he seems to talk about anymore...that, and coffee and donuts.

Well.... I guess.... sorta..... likes whats the dealeo here with this guy? The catering services and food kiosks in the building have their own set menu's & specialties, most of which are either franchisee's or independents with whatever food or confectionery product thats local & popular in the Valley. They signed a multi-year deal with Levy Foods, one of the leaders in venue/area/event specific caterers & Im sure they'll put together drinks & dishes local to the Southwest & Arizona/Phoenix specifically as they have in Chicago at the United Center (Black Hawks Steak Sandwich - you want the best steak on the planet, go to Chicago). Dodger Stadiums Big Blue Burger. The Grammy Awards; Millionaire Margaritas etc etc etc. If they want to set-up some sort of "Canadian Cuisine" food court or whatever, well, good luck with that. I cant imagine Canadian franchise companies with uniquely Canadian snacks etc would be finding Canadian nor American entrepreneurs wanting to set up shop at jobing.com arena nor at Westgate. Im sure Le Blanc is just being tongue in cheek, having fun. I mean, seriously. :laugh:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I dunno, Killy. You're not sounding very Canadian at all wrt to Timmy's. Most of the Canucks I've met over the years just love the place. Business trip to Ottawa a couple years ago, company had a Kiwi working there too and she was going on and on about the love of all things Timmy, especially the coffee. Same thing in London, Ont, once upon a time.

Maybe it's just you. :)

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Well.... I guess.... sorta..... likes whats the dealeo here with this guy? The catering services and food kiosks in the building have their own set menu's & specialties, most of which are either franchisee's or independents with whatever food or confectionery product thats local & popular in the Valley. They signed a multi-year deal with Levy Foods, one of the leaders in venue/area/event specific caterers & Im sure they'll put together drinks & dishes local to the Southwest & Arizona/Phoenix specifically as they have in Chicago at the United Center (Black Hawks Steak Sandwich - you want the best steak on the planet, go to Chicago). Dodger Stadiums Big Blue Burger. The Grammy Awards; Millionaire Margaritas etc etc etc. If they want to set-up some sort of "Canadian Cuisine" food court or whatever, well, good luck with that. I cant imagine Canadian franchise companies with uniquely Canadian snacks etc would be finding Canadian nor American entrepreneurs wanting to set up shop at jobing.com arena nor at Westgate. Im sure Le Blanc is just being tongue in cheek, having fun. I mean, seriously. :laugh:

You mean sticking his tongue through the center of the donut? :laugh:

Seriously, the current ARAMARK list (see source link) isn't very good...

Let's hope Anthony's master plan of the best 'tastes' from Canada and the Southwest, under Levy's, is better.

[Will the current Green Mtn Coffee and Dumkin Doughnuts be replaced with Timmy's?]

Source: http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=32777

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I dunno, Killy. You're not sounding very Canadian at all wrt to Timmy's. Maybe it's just you. :)

Quite likely, though I do know many people who like me simply dont like the taste of their coffee..... Over 3000 locations across Canada & wildly popular. As Im sure your aware they are the "Official Coffee" of the Detroit Red Wings & Joe Louis Arena, sponsors of the Red Wings Players Foundation & who for the past several years have made available on certain dates in March I believe the "I Love Red Wings Donuts" throughout Michigan. Heart shaped with red & white sprinkles, all proceeds going to the charity. You ever buy a 6, 12 or 24 flat pack of those Foogs? Tasty?... but no Tim Hortons in Arizona though, so why this is even being discussed, and just guessing, is Tony Le Blanc there is just musing aloud. Doesnt even seem aware of the various real life hands on activities Tim Hortons is engaged in on both sides of the border already. Heavily involved in minor hockey etc.

You mean sticking his tongue through the center of the donut? :laugh:

Let's hope Anthony's master plan of the best 'tastes' from Canada and the Southwest, under Levy's, is better.

Thats about it. He's carrying on like a Stoner wired on caffeine & sugar at a Tim Hortons at 3am. Like he's livin large in Waynes World ordering up a Cruller and a Double-Double at the non-existent Stan Mikitas' Donut Shop in Aurora Illinois. Just makin **** up as he goes along. Just leave it up to the pro's at Levy to do their J.O.B.'s already. :rant:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Thats about it. He's carrying on like a Stoner wired on caffeine & sugar at a Tim Hortons at 3am. Like he's livin large in Waynes World ordering up a Cruller and a Double-Double at the non-existent Stan Mikitas' Donut Shop in Aurora Illinois. Just makin **** up as he goes along. Just leave it up to the pro's at Levy to do their J.O.B.'s already. :rant:

Remember, he's a sales-man, not a hockey-man.

Anthony thinks Canadians are his power base.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Wait, what?

I'm out of it for awhile and I come back and we're talking about timmies donuts? This place always has surprises :laugh:

Ah, I see, IA is talking about putting a timmies in the arena-for the Canadian fans and/or for Yotes fans as well? Might be a tough sell in US with Dunkin Donuts being the champ franchise.

I understand the Canadian fans in, but effectively cartering to them with Timmies? IMO that's catering TOO much to the Canadian fans-I mean this is Phoenix here, and your main emphasis is your US fanbase to expand. I'd rather see them bring in a dunkin donuts, be more accessable to the US fans. I don't like the optics of bringing in a "Canadian" franchise in (admittedly it looks like) you're catering to the Canadian "vacation fans" first.

(And yes i know there are Tim's in some states, though sales wise from what I understand it's been a letdown once you start going past northern states.)

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Wait, what?

I'm out of it for awhile and I come back and we're talking about timmies donuts? This place always has surprises :laugh:

Ah, I see, IA is talking about putting a timmies in the arena-for the Canadian fans and/or for Yotes fans as well? Might be a tough sell in US with Dunkin Donuts being the champ franchise.

I understand the Canadian fans in, but effectively cartering to them with Timmies? IMO that's catering TOO much to the Canadian fans-I mean this is Phoenix here, and your main emphasis is your US fanbase to expand. I'd rather see them bring in a dunkin donuts, be more accessable to the US fans. I don't like the optics of bringing in a "Canadian" franchise in (admittedly it looks like) you're catering to the Canadian "vacation fans" first.

(And yes i know there are Tim's in some states, though sales wise from what I understand it's been a letdown once you start going past northern states.)

Here's a web site with a list of states
(11 - Connecticut, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and West Virginia)
with map links:

Source: http://www.allstays.com/c/tim-hortons-locations.htm

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Is this tim hortons thing for real or a gag to get someone to run a print story much like IEH was going to buy Man U?

This doesn't attract people to NHL hockey games. I have attended 65 plus games in the past 3 seasons in an NHL building in Canada and have drank a grand total of zero cups of Timmy's Coffee. I have attended with my Dad and Mom both 70+ and they have drank zero cups of Timmy's. My wife may have had a cup at one game. Yes Timmy's has a line up during the game but Leblanc should be focusing on native Arizonians to build this base.

These silver hairs Leblanc covets have about a 10 year expectency in Arizona before they need to take advantage of year round health care in Canada.;)

Canadians can just buy this and avoid the drive to Westgate::)

Enjoy fresh Tim Hortons coffee every morning with the Tim Hortons Coffee Maker by Bunn®.

With a design so unique it's patented, our signature coffee maker features:
· Maximum Flavour – A custom spray-head ensures all the flavour is extracted from Tim Hortons coffee by thoroughly soaking all the grounds.
· Fast Brewing – Brews 10 cups of perfect coffee in under 3 minutes.
· Perfect Accuracy - Stainless steel water tank with internal thermostat brings water to the exact ideal temperature for true Tim Hortons flavour."

http://shop.timhortons.com/Catalogue/Details.aspx?categoryId=0&productId=15

DannoManno*

Wait, what?

Dunkin Donuts is a total east coast thing. I'm in Boston and they are everywhere... But in Phoenix, there are not that many Dunkin Donuts, and they're not very busy.

Tim Hortons is not only a Canadian thing... It's a restaurant founded by a hockey player. (Makes sense to open one outside of a hockey arena, no? )

This thread is about catering to the Candian fans, and how the new ownership will get more Canadians out to the games.

However, in no way is this thread claiming that the Canadian fans are more important or something's lie that. I don't see why Americans won't love Tim Hortons coffee, food, and ice caps (when it's over 100 degrees)

We're all North Americans, and all important fans. :)

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
This thread is about catering to the Candian fans, and how the new ownership will get more Canadians out to the games.

However, in no way is this thread claiming that the Canadian fans are more important or something's lie that. I don't see why Americans won't love Tim Hortons coffee, food, and ice caps (when it's over 100 degrees)

Anthony is... :)

To quote:

"LeBlanc — a Canadian businessman along with team chairman George Gosbee — said there are as many 500,000 part-time Arizona residents who are from Alberta and British Columbia.

He wants them to go to more Coyotes games and not just when their hometown teams are playing. LeBlanc also want to promote more sports tourism to the Valley from Canada and northern U.S. markets. He said the cost of Coyotes tickets is much less than for games in Canadian cities and the Valley also offers those fans mild winters.

The team is exploring ways to make games friendly for Canadian fans. LeBlanc said that could include Tim Horton’s coffee and donuts at Jobing.com Arena. Horton’s is a popular Canadian brand."

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ortons-at-phoenix-coyotes-games.html?page=all

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Anthony Leblanc was on Prime Time Sports this evening. 5 pm slot about the 30:00 mark

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/

Fully acknowledges that transplants and snowbirds help and attendence is expected to increase as they're coming down for the winter.

Overall, he says attendence is up 20% from this time last year and suite sales are up 100% so they're inching along.

No mention of any Tim's coming to the Job :)

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

kootenayfan

Sep 3, 2005
Southeastern BC
Interesting discussion. I am not a snowbird as i am not retired yet, but my wife is from Phoenix. We try and get down there every year, usually around March as us Canadians are sick of winter by then and it gives her a chance to see her family.

But one thing we do everytime we are in Phoenix is go see a game. The Job is one of the nicest NHL Arenas i have been in (the others being Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton) the people are always so friendly in the rink, both Canadians and Americans and you truly feel welcome.

It does amaze me though that there are not more snowbirds at these games, i think as mentioned they are an older crowd and just not interested in attending. I believe the Coyotes would do much better marketing the 30-45 age group with alot of disposable income..weather it be locals or Canadians. That age group and income earner does not seem to bat an eyelash at hoping a flight from Canada down to Phoenix for the weekend, which would include a hockey game.

As far as a Tim Horton's goes, it would probably work quite well, not really my thing..but my wife would be the first in line. :nod:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Why doesn't Phoenix do a pubcrawl that starts with a hockey game? Tour buses with open bar to get an early start on a buzz before a game, thereby making the Yotes a part of the night life. Maybe have a Yotes nightclub nearby that allows you to party with the team after the game.

This is the crowd to market IMO.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
To start this off, I'm pretty optimistic about the Coyotes future, and think the new ownership group is going to do a lot of good work to raise awareness about the team.

However, one thing I really don't get is how there are so Canadians who live in Phoenix during the winter, yet they don't seem to go to that many Coyotes games.

I think the new ownership should take a look at this and market the Coyotes better to the snowbirds. I know a lot of the Canadians live in Scottsdale and Mesa, which is on the opposite side of Glendale, but I think most of them either drive down or have cars down there... So it's not like they can't get to the games :laugh: Sure 40 minutes is a long drive, but to see an NHL hockey game, that's nothing!

I've read online around 50-90 thousand Canadians live in Arizona during the winter or year round, and assume a big chunk of them end up in Phoenix.

Jobing.com is nicer than most of if not all of the arenas in Canada... And tickets are far easier to obtain and far cheaper than tickets to NHL games in Canada.

Basically, what is holding the Canadians living in and around the Valley from going to see Coyotes hockey games... are they just too busy playing golf or what? :laugh:

What should the new ownership group do to get more snowbirds out to games? Open a Tim Hortons next to the arena? ;)

When I lived in PHX (2003-2007) the only people that I knew that attended more games than me and actually paid for them were from Canada or the Northeast. But if you are talking about the Sun City Canadians, then forget it, Sun City residents are just old and weird.....

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Dunkin Donuts is a total east coast thing. I'm in Boston and they are everywhere... But in Phoenix, there are not that many Dunkin Donuts, and they're not very busy.

Tim Hortons is not only a Canadian thing... It's a restaurant founded by a hockey player. (Makes sense to open one outside of a hockey arena, no? )

We're all North Americans, and all important fans. :)

Nicely said... :thumbu:

Krispy Kreme made a stab at Arizona.... twice. I'd gladly kill for one but they never caught on here enough to survive. :(

I think like anything else... people will try Tim Horton's if IA were to bring one in, and if the product meets expectations then it'll be successful.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Poutine? Ah, now we're talking. Who doesn't like poutine! Just tell the Wisconsin and Michigan snow birds that 'cheese curds' are involved. French fries are universally loved. Adapt meat toppings appealing to Da Chicagolanders. Add a deep dish pizza outlet as well.

Now we're cookin'.

Never had carne asada fries, eh?? :)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Maybe people that drink Timmy's coffee and eat their donuts are hypnotized or drugged to keep buying their product :dunno:.... but I do know that the busiest kiosk at any Jets game is by far... the Tim Horton's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad