Canadians in Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
The coyotes might not have big name Canadian stars on the team, but they're playing against them pretty much every night. The pacific division is loaded with Canadian teams and Canadian stars. And four of the 7 Canadian teams are in the Western Conference. There's lots of good draws to get even the casual Canadian hockey fans out to Coyotes games.

Most of the Canadian snowbirds I know fly down to Phoenix, and don't bring satellite boxes in their luggage..

A lot of the retired Candians down there have LOTS of money to spend, plus have kids and friends visiting in the winter. There's definitely an untapped market in all the Canadians down there!

For sure many great Canadian teams visit jobing.com but the discussion was about Canadians attending games against the Canes, Preds, Panthers etc.. and cheering on the Coyotes. Lots of Canadian fans in jobing.com for Canadian teams. I have been in the building for the Flames and Oilers.

The Canadians that I know drive down as they can't afford a second vehicle to permantly leave in Arizona when they are only there for 4 months.

Yup, I don't bring my dish when I fly down for weekends.;)

Lots of Canadians down for the winter do have lots of money. Many others do not and simply took advantage of a very depressed US housing market a few years ago. Spending some time in the winter while living very minimally.

I don't feel the Canadian market in Arizona is untapped at all just ask your Dad how many Canadians he sees when he attends the games of Canadian teams at jobing.com. The Canadians in Arizona are well awareof NHL hockey and the arena in Glendale. Those that don't aren't hockey fans.

Only time or $50 million in losses will really determine how this all turns out. Marketing to Canucks is great but those down there interested in hockey are most likely already going to a few games a year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Putting up a Tim Hortons at Jobing.com seems like a no brainer to me, though. I think the Canadians would definitely come check it out, and I bet the Americans would follow. It's not too hot for coffee in Phoenix, especially when the coffee is frozen! :sarcasm:

You are aware that Ice Arizona has said they are looking into that, right?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
You are aware that Ice Arizona has said they are looking into that, right?

I was not aware of this. When/where was it said?

Please Fugu...

If there can't be only one megathread, do try and keep up... :sarcasm:

To quote:

"The team is exploring ways to make games friendly for Canadian fans. [Anthony] LeBlanc said that could include Tim Horton’s coffee and donuts at Jobing.com Arena. Horton’s is a popular Canadian brand."

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ortons-at-phoenix-coyotes-games.html?page=all

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Please Fugu...

To quote:

"The team is exploring ways to make games friendly for Canadian fans. [Anthony] LeBlanc said that could include Tim Horton’s coffee and donuts at Jobing.com Arena. Horton’s is a popular Canadian brand."

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ortons-at-phoenix-coyotes-games.html?page=all

I've self-diagnosed myself with Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. Any time I see "mega" and "Phoenix" linked, my mind just blocks it out. The presence of Roman Numerals can exacerbate the symptoms.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I only say this in terms of the old advertising maxim: "I know I'm wasting half of what I spend on advertising, I just don't know which half."

I believe the snowbirds know where to find the schedule. I don't think you have to market to them. Of course, a Tim Horton's wouldn't hurt.

While I will go with the "Snowbirds have a lot of money" explanation, I do think you're missing a factor here. The folks nearing retirement (of which Phoenix has a lot, and not just Canadians) ARE more frugal than most of the population. I think the population is rather limited given that. Throw in the Hispanic population, and Phoenix could be teetering on being a small market by American standards.

Phoenix usually shows up on this kind of list: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/sports/sports_blogs_local/tampa-bay-ranks-4th

(Not to mention Tampa... two heavy retirement markets)

Of course, Phoenix usually ranks higher on such lists. This from a few years ago:

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/03/kc-overextended-market.html

So maybe there's something to be said about growth in Phoenix, even with the economic bust of 2008. However, is it a good bet to keep a team? Eh. (Seeing Denver on the more recent list is a massive surprise to me, so I'm open to offerings of grains of salt on the whole enterprise)

One last, and an underrated factor: I know the Phoenix Suns are in a hole right now... I saw shots of the crowd Wednesday night in their season opener against Portland. I've seen where that's happened IN Portland in the past, also (my benchmark for this thought). Thing is, the Suns are still the "original" franchise in the market and one for which- I strongly suspect- fans are waiting for a rebound. Given the other limitations, it's very hard to establish something in the same "time slot." Actually, I think the Coyotes deserve credit for getting this far.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
People are discussing it because there are serious issues with this team. Why can't they be allowed to discuss it? because it hurts your feels? This entire message board can't be the Coyotes fans' safe space.

This board has been the exact opposite of that at times. :sarcasm:

I agree with you that IceArizona has it's work cut out for them. But I also get the feeling people are coming to the conclusion that IA is only going to be courting Canadian snowbirds. This is just one market group for them to promote that can possibly get quick results. Other market groups are going to take more time to develop but they need to get as many people they can in the arena now.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
This board has been the exact opposite of that at times. :sarcasm:

I agree with you that IceArizona has it's work cut out for them. But I also get the feeling people are coming to the conclusion that IA is only going to be courting Canadian snowbirds. This is just one market group for them to promote that can possibly get quick results. Other market groups are going to take more time to develop but they need to get as many people they can in the arena now.
You'd be wrong. I just think IA's marketing money is better spent on permanent Arizona residents.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
You'd be wrong. I just think IA's marketing money is better spent on permanent Arizona residents.

Why does it have to be limited, or one or the other? It makes the most business sense to go after every possible demographic and group, and Canadians seem to be an obvious target market.

Heck, the NHL was purportedly thinking of expanding to Las Vegas, building a business model on an even more transient customer base, and one that's not necessarily as engrained with hockey tradition as the snowbird segment being discussed here.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
:facepalm: People, people...I don't think anyone's arguing that they shouldn't mostly go for locals, but *does it hurt* to also market to *other* niche markets that might be unique to the area?

:shakehead

And I'm saying that isn't money well spent at least as far as Canadian Snowbirds go. Just my opinion but there would be a very limited return on that investment.

really? what sort of money are we talking about here? a few thousand dollars ... tops. and spending that little bit of money on direct marketing to folks who are MUCH more likely to comprehend and appreciate the product being sold is a waste of money? sorry man, it would be stunningly foolish NOT to market to snowbirds.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
really? what sort of money are we talking about here? a few thousand dollars ... tops. and spending that little bit of money on direct marketing to folks who are MUCH more likely to comprehend and appreciate the product being sold is a waste of money? sorry man, it would be stunningly foolish NOT to market to snowbirds.
if its a few thousand $$$ then not much harm but a large portion of the ad budget would be a waste of money, IMO. No need for over the top superlatives.

And I should be more clear - trying to market to snowbirds to buy SEASON tickets would yield little return IMO. They could convince some to maybe go to 1 or 2 more SINGLE games but I wouldn't break the bank on that promo.

Last edited:

DannoManno*

Please Fugu...

To quote:

Big difference between serving Tim Hortons coffee and donuts, and opening a standalone store outside the arena, along with a full service Tim Hortons in the arenas. ;)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Based upon all the reactions I've seen to this subject (here and other places).... I don't think I'm wrong.

I agree that they need to heavily market to the permanent residents and businesses, but the objective right now is to get people through the arena doors, no matter where they come from.

And for all we know they might be doing just that. The only reason why were talking about this subject is the local media thought it was "newsworthy".

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I was not aware of this. When/where was it said?

The article I posted earlier? I didn't copy/paste the entire thing as per HF rules. The entire article is about IA and their efforts to court Canadians.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The article I posted earlier? I didn't copy/paste the entire thing as per HF rules. The entire article is about IA and their efforts to court Canadians.

It was answered above:

Please Fugu...

To quote:

I've self-diagnosed myself with Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. Any time I see "mega" and "Phoenix" linked, my mind just blocks it out. The presence of Roman Numerals can exacerbate the symptoms.

DannoManno*

Any chance Tim Hortons would deny Glendale a new Tim Hortons franchise? I know they're all in the northeast right now, but maybe they could look at these snowbird hotspots as great expansion spots for their brand in America.

Opening a Tim Hortons inside/outside Jobing.com or both, would get people talking about the Coyotes and the new Tim Hortons location in the desert, and maybe even Americans unfamiliar with the famous Canadian brand will get turned onto Tim Hortons brand if they promote it enough, alongside promoting the "Arizona Coyotes".

So even if the 60-75+ Canadians are too frugal / too domestic to get out to a coyotes game... They'll definitely make the drive to buy some Tim's. ;)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Any chance Tim Hortons would deny Glendale a new Tim Hortons franchise? I know they're all in the northeast right now, but maybe they could look at these snowbird hotspots as great expansion spots for their brand in America.

Opening a Tim Hortons inside/outside Jobing.com or both, would get people talking about the Coyotes and the new Tim Hortons location in the desert, and maybe even Americans unfamiliar with the famous Canadian brand will get turned onto Tim Hortons brand if they promote it enough, alongside promoting the "Arizona Coyotes".

So even if the 60-75+ Canadians are too frugal / too domestic to get out to a coyotes game... They'll definitely make the drive to buy some Tim's. ;)

One way a TH store might work is if it is accessible during the games and also when nothing is going on in the arena. This is what TNSE did at the MTS Centre. The Tim's is inside the arena physically on the south concourse , but is open all day long and during games. A couple of notes :

The arena is down town in a very high traffic area with a lot of offices around, and the prices for their products are the same if a game is on or not. This is the interesting part because generally teams charge more for things like drinks and food inside an arena than you would pay at a local stores.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I said The majority of people I know do not follow hockey. More are Blue Jay fans than hockey fans.

I did not say the majority of Canadians are Blue Jay fans than hockey fans.

And I say you hang with an odd ball group of friends that in no way represents the country as a whole.

Its like taking a survey of five people and claiming it has some relevance.

Last edited by a moderator:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
And I say you are lying, or hang with an odd ball group of friends that in no way represents the country as a whole.

Its like taking a survey of five people and claiming it has some relevance.

Rather then suggesting the poster is lying, perhaps sourcing some figures that contradict his personal experience would be more productive here?

DannoManno*

One way a TH store might work is if it is accessible during the games and also when nothing is going on in the arena. This is what TNSE did at the MTS Centre. The Tim's is inside the arena physically on the south concourse , but is open all day long and during games. A couple of notes :

The arena is down town in a very high traffic area with a lot of offices around, and the prices for their products are the same if a game is on or not. This is the interesting part because generally teams charge more for things like drinks and food inside an arena than you would pay at a local stores.

I think it would be ideal to have a stand alone Tim Hortons restaurant outside and separate from the arena (just like any Tim Hortons you'd see in Canada).

AND

a full service Tim Hortons inside (just like you see in big Canadian arenas).

I think it's important to have the stand alone outside the arena as it's in your face free advertising, which will make for good press. (You know TSN and Canadian news would cover the new Coyotes ownership opening a Tim Hortons franchise right outside Jobing.com Arena ;) )

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

IMO, Timmy's coffee sucks. Have you tried it? They give you a paper-thin cup and no napkin so you burn your hand unless you ask for a second cup. Plus they have these cheap plastic lid that are suppose to tear open a flap that clicks in, but that never happens they way it should. And the lids never fit the cup properly. Did I mention the trans-fatty cream?

You want good coffee, go to McDonalds.

Are we serious about a Tim Hortons saving the Coyote ticket sales? If Timmy's was so popular and profitable, I'm sure there would be a franchise in Arizona already. How is a cup of coffee at a 7:00pm puck drop going to attract senior citizens who won't stay up no later than 9:30pm? I highly doubt really old people want to go to late night hockey games, surrounded by drunk youngsters and air horns. The older crowd enjoy falling a sleep to a hockey game in the comfort of their couch. I'm sorry.

Besides, this strategy is really founded on a stereotype. I feel like the better marketing strategy would be to give away free guns to southerners ;)

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
IMO, Timmy's coffee sucks. Have you tried it? They give you a paper-thin cup and no napkin so you burn your hand unless you ask for a second cup. Plus they have these cheap plastic lid that are suppose to tear open a flap that clicks in, but that never happens they way it should. And the lids never fit the cup properly. Did I mention the trans-fatty cream?

You want good coffee, go to McDonalds.

Are we serious about a Tim Hortons saving the Coyote ticket sales? If Timmy's was so popular and profitable, I'm sure there would be a franchise in Arizona already. How is a cup of coffee at a 7:00pm puck drop going to attract senior citizens who won't stay up no later than 9:30pm? I highly doubt really old people want to go to late night hockey games, surrounded by drunk youngsters and air horns. The older crowd enjoy falling a sleep to a hockey game in the comfort of their couch. I'm sorry.

Besides, this strategy is really founded on a stereotype. I feel like the better marketing strategy would be to give away free guns to southerners ;)

I don't drink coffee but you say the coffee sucks then go on about complaints about the cup... And considering how McDonalds constantly has free coffee promotions in Canada to try getting market share, many people disagree with you. The vast majority around where I live that's for sure. I had a friend move to Mexico and would beg people to send her Tim Hortons coffee all the time. but I digress

I agree that bringing in a Tim Hortons to attract hockey fans is a bit of a stretch. The long term viability of the Coyotes can't be dependant on snowbirds. They don't come down til a few montsh into the season. A strategy that doesn't fill the building til a third of the season is done won't cut it

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I dont even know what to say about any of this, these "comments & suggestions". I mean, seriously. A Tim Hortons in Westgate, the building itself is going to be a lure to in most cases monied & sophisticated Snowbirds from Canada with condo's in Scottsdale who wouldnt be caught DEAD with a Timmy's Go-Cup & a box of Timbitz in their hands? Like their going to all flock to thejob to watch a game between the Coyotes & lets say the Panthers, dropping $200+ just so they can sit there & enjoy a $2 cuppa Joe from Timmys? In the evening, just hours before their bed times... at a sporting event in the southwest with a wide range of local craft beers, heck, even a Molson Canadian if they want, nacho's & all kinds of wonderful treats but no; they'll be ordering up coffee & donuts?

You frickin kiddin me? :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad