Canadians in Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
People who grow up here tend to leave, and Phoenix is populated mostly by folks from away, who bring their allegiances with them.

Quick valley sports history lesson:

1. None of the teams are that old, especially the Coyotes
2. None of the teams have been that good, especially the Coyotes (until recently)

Here is the Coyotes' strategy: http://www.azcentral.com/community/...es-court-canadians-bolster-nhl-franchise.html

The Coyotes’ owners plan to expand the base by drawing in their countrymen.

LeBlanc frequently jokes that during the winter months, metro Phoenix becomes the third-largest city in the Canadian province of Alberta. “The reality is that it’s not a joke,” he said at the tourism meeting on Oct. 22 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.

“Over 500,000 Canadians from Alberta and British Columbia alone spend the winter here in Arizona. Put that into perspective. The city of Winnipeg has just over 600,000 people, and they have a full arena every night to watch their hometown Jets,” he said.

Figures provided by the Arizona Office of Tourism are somewhat more conservative.

The tourism office says 728,000 Canadians visited Arizona in 2012 overall. Of those, 243,600 were from Alberta and 164,500 were from British Columbia, combining for 408,100 from the western provinces.

Overall, Canadians comprise about 15 percent of the state’s international travelers, according to the Office of Tourism. Mexican tourists comprise approximately 68 percent, while overseas travelers make up 17 percent.

However, Canadians are the top spenders, accounting for 52 percent of all expenditures by international travelers in Arizona. Overseas tourists generate 28 percent, while Mexican tourists are responsible for 19 percent, according to the Office of Tourism.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Here is the Coyotes' strategy: http://www.azcentral.com/community/...es-court-canadians-bolster-nhl-franchise.html

The Coyotes’ owners plan to expand the base by drawing in their countrymen.
Figures provided by the Arizona Office of Tourism are somewhat more conservative.

The tourism office says 728,000 Canadians visited Arizona in 2012 overall. Of those, 243,600 were from Alberta and 164,500 were from British Columbia, combining for 408,100 from the western provinces.

Good find, XX.

I don't see anything wrong with this strategy and in fact feel some people are conflating the point with the primary strategy. The primary need or focus for ownership needs to be grow the local fan base. A subset of that is taking advantage of the fact that over half a million Canadians visit the state over a time period when the NHL season is going on, and that roughly a third of Canadians consider themselves hockey fans.

Of course, many hockey fans are tribal in orientation and only show interest in their home teams, or in this case, other Canadian teams. I know when I owned season tickets in Detroit, I always had greater interest in my tickets for any Canadian team visiting, followed by [then] Eastern Conf teams like Toronto, Boston, Montreal, and Philly -- noting there are two Cdn teams in that grouping...:)

The trick will be to package this up in a way to draw in a few more Canadians routinely. How do you reach them? Perhaps advertising in the home market since they may not be tuning in locally, in general. Combine offers with shopping packages, because we all know Canadians love to shop. Partner with Costco, for example.

Edit: I should add that many people who support a team for Las Vegas believe a team can be viable off an even more transient pool of potential ticket buyers. Food for thought.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
lol, yup the majority of canadians are blue jays fans THEN hockey fans. totally accurate market research there chief

olympics

plus I was commentating at the guy saying more people are jays fans. that is clearly bs.

I said The majority of people I know do not follow hockey. More are Blue Jay fans than hockey fans.

I did not say the majority of Canadians are Blue Jay fans than hockey fans.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I said The majority of people I know do not follow hockey. More are Blue Jay fans than hockey fans.

I did not say the majority of Canadians are Blue Jay fans than hockey fans.

You live in Canada, and specifically, up there in Leafland?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Well, in the context that you present it over and over and over and over and over, it's more than a bit intellectually dishonest. I mean, statistically speaking, when you count every man, woman, and child in the country, no, you will not find a majority that watches sports on TV. However, you certainly will find more people watching hockey in Canada per capita than you will in the States.

So? never did I think my comments would cause such an uproar:laugh:

You live in Canada, and specifically, up there in Leafland?

yes I do.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
The trick will be to package this up in a way to draw in a few more Canadians routinely. How do you reach them?
Edit: I should add that many people who support a team for Las Vegas believe a team can be viable off an even more transient pool of potential ticket buyers. Food for thought.

theme song? Replace great white north with "Take off to Glendale, Arizona and the Coyotes it's a beauty way to go!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFPt001PYU&feature=kp

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
So? never did I think my comments would cause such an uproar:laugh:

yes I do.

I have no idea how you managed to accomplish that because most of the Cdns I've met over the years from that neck of the great white northern woods were easily hockey fans firstly. :laugh:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I have no idea how you managed to accomplish that because most of the Cdns I've met over the years from that neck of the great white northern woods were easily hockey fans firstly. :laugh:

From some of the posts it seems my opinion that the majority are not hockey fans is incorrect (though I did say initially "die hard":p:)
And from this IMO extremely excellent article http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/?_r=1 (which should be a thread in itself)

From my personal experience most people I know do not follow hockey, more are Jays fans than NHL fans.

I did a quick mental list (brain hurts now:laugh:) 50 people I know, family, friends etc I'd say 17 are hockey fans, 20 who cares, the remaining 13...too many fights, too violent.

Then there's this http://www.environicsinstitute.org/...onics-institute-hockey-canada-2012-survey.pdf

As for the Coyotes trying to get snowbirds to attend games, great idea and the poster who said open up a Tim Hortons, even better.

Last edited:

DannoManno*

Gosbee was interviewed on Sportsnet West in Canada earlier in the season when the Flames played the Coyotes.

He said he was aware of transplants living in the valley for the winter. He hoped that they would come out and support their home team when they played at jobing.com but also make the Coyotes their second team and come out and cheer on the Coyotes other nights.

He went on to mention how he has switched from a Flames fan to a Coyotes fan. He mentioned that his mother was decked out in a Flames jersey cheering on the Flames vs. Coyotes. He siad that his mom would not be changing allegiances when the Flames and Coyotes play.

He also talked about members of the ownership group already owning residences in Arizona.

He also mentioned the Coyotes just needed and owner and that it would be turned around quickly. He must have drank a jug of Leblanc's special kool-aid.;)

As for the snowbird ticketing strategy. The thing I hear directly fom themmost often is that they say that will will go to see their team and another game or two to see Crosby, Ovechkin, Toews and others but that the 40 minute drive is too much. They watch all the games on HD at home. Many have their Canadian Satellite dishes with them.

I know of some down there have never gone to a game as they actually don't like hockey. Even turned down Jets tickets at MTSC this season before they left as they are not hockey fans.

The Coyotes need to market to the year round permanent population. Preferrably those born and raised in Arizona. Create lifelong fans of the Arizona Coyotes.

Not only do the Coyotes need butts in the seats they also need cars in the parking lot.

No stone should remain unturned in their marketing strategy. TV ads won't work for Canadians watching Canadian TV channels.

Good luck this won't be easy to turnaround but Canadians are not the solution to the Coyotes woes.

If Sidney Crosby or Jonathon Toewes played for the Coyotes I have a feeling they could market to Canadians a little better. Doan, Smith and Ribero don't really resonate with the casual Canadian hockey fan.

Doan, Smith, Ribero? What about Yandle and OEL!?!? Those two guys are exciting enough for me to go see a coyotes game regardless of who they are playing!

Anyways, thanks for the post. I enjoyed reading it.

A few things though... Do most Canadians really live in Mesa/Scottsdale? Otherwise, Phoenix proper is not 40 minutes from the rink, more like 25-30 minutes, or even closer depending on where you live. And like another poster said before, 40 minutes is not a very far drive anyways.

The thing about satellite TV though... There can't be that many Canadians who drag down their dish/ box with them... why would you go through the hassle of putting up a dish/ bringing down your box, when you can get pretty much the same tv packages from cox or an American satellite provider?

So I think TV ads will definitely be an effective strategy, as I can only assume most Canadians subscribe to American TV while wintering in the valley of the sun. I'd only expect the coyotes org. to target the 55+ crowd anyways, not Canadians specifically, as that would alienate the Americans that they also need to come to the games. If there really are that many snowbirds using Canadian dishes in Arizona... maybe the Coyotes will have to advertise more on Canadian TV. ;)

I'm glad to hear the new ownership is going to try harder to get the snowbirds out to the games though, as it's really not much to ask for people living in the valley for a good 4-6 months a year to make the Coyotes their second team.

Also, I was so not kidding about opening up a Tim Hortons at Jobing.com Arena. :laugh: (Maybe have one inside, plus a stand alone outside! ). I think a lot of those very same Canadians living in Mesa or Scottsdale who don't want to drive 40 minutes to watch a coyotes game WOULD drive 40 minutes, no questions asked to have a cup of Tim's.

Last edited by a moderator:

pondnorth

Dec 16, 2005
Come on,this is not the first time someone thought of marketing to Canadians in the 18 plus seasons the Coyotes have been there.These guys seem to feel that because they now own the Yotes that more Canadians,who happen to be down there should purchase tickets to games.Wonder how many will support them with this new idea.Did Canadians just arrive in Arizona for the first time? This is a joke.

DannoManno*

Come on,this is not the first time someone thought of marketing to Canadians in the 18 plus seasons the Coyotes have been there.These guys seem to feel that because they now own the Yotes that more Canadians,who happen to be down there should purchase tickets to games.Wonder how many will support them with this new idea.Did Canadians just arrive in Arizona for the first time? This is a joke.

Nobody's claiming that. We're discussing why more don't go to games, and what the new ownership will do to get more snowbirds out to games...

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Nobody's claiming that. We're discussing why more don't go to games, and what the new ownership will do to get more snowbirds out to games...

It's just their "road show" for the media, trying to create some buzz or news, anything that will get the team's name in front of people.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Doan, Smith, Ribero? What about Yandle and OEL!?!? Those two guys are exciting enough for me to go see a coyotes game regardless of who they are playing!

A few things though... Do most Canadians really live in Mesa/Scottsdale? Otherwise, Phoenix proper is not 40 minutes from the rink, more like 25-30 minutes, or even closer depending on where you live. And like another poster said before, 40 minutes is not a very far drive anyways.

The thing about satellite TV though... There can't be that many Canadians who drag down their dish/ box with them... why would you go through the hassle of putting up a dish/ bringing down your box, when you can get pretty much the same tv packages from cox or an American satellite provider?

Yandle and OEL are fine players but they are not Canadians. Canadian fans like Canadian players especially in Olympic years. Much easier to market players that the fans already know like Crosby and Toews. The casual Canadian snowbird fan has no idea who OEL and Yandle are. Mike Eurozione and Jim Craig not too popular with Canadian hockey fans but Paul Henderson sure is.

A 40 minute drive to the game and another 40 home is a far drive for someone 60-75 years old. Especially the drive home when it is night. That's why people I know only go to a couple games a year. These are retired people. It's not 25-45 year old retirees living in Arizona. Not too many of those.

Yup, they drag they equipment with them but generally just have a second set up at their winter residence. It can also be attached to the motor home. One simple add on of $5.99 a month for this.

It allows for local and National Canadian news coverage and all the familiar CBC programmming silver haired Canadians love.

Some Manitobans also have Jets TV on their dishes. Albertans and those from BC would be able to get Sportsnet West and Sportsnet Pacific.

Every Canadian snowbird I know from Arizona to Texas has a Canadian Satellite set up.

Perhaps snowbirds are the great untapped market for the Coyotes but I doubt that. Canadians wintering in Arizona that like hockey know where jobing.com is.

I myself have been down for 3 games in the past but have not been to one in 4 years. My mom was in Arizona and went to a game with her retired Canadian snowbird cousins 2 seasons ago.

She didn't spend any money at the game because she is on a fixed income and is on a budget. These silver hairs don't spend much at the game.

The Coyotes should be marketing to 25-45 year old Arizonians, preferrably with large disposable incomes. Set up some promos at the Mercedes dealership or something.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Yandle and OEL are fine players but they are not Canadians. Canadian fans like Canadian players especially in Olympic years. Much easier to market players that the fans already know like Crosby and Toews. The casual Canadian snowbird fan has no idea who OEL and Yandle are. Mike Eurozione and Jim Craig not too popular with Canadian hockey fans but Paul Henderson sure is.

A 40 minute drive to the game and another 40 home is a far drive for someone 60-75 years old. Especially the drive home when it is night. That's why people I know only go to a couple games a year. These are retired people. It's not 25-45 year old retirees living in Arizona. Not too many of those.

Yup, they drag they equipment with them but generally just have a second set up at their winter residence. It can also be attached to the motor home. One simple add on of $5.99 a month for this.

It allows for local and National Canadian news coverage and all the familiar CBC programmming silver haired Canadians love.

Some Manitobans also have Jets TV on their dishes. Albertans and those from BC would be able to get Sportsnet West and Sportsnet Pacific.

Every Canadian snowbird I know from Arizona to Texas has a Canadian Satellite set up.

Perhaps snowbirds are the great untapped market for the Coyotes but I doubt that. Canadians wintering in Arizona that like hockey know where jobing.com is.

I myself have been down for 3 games in the past but have not been to one in 4 years. My mom was in Arizona and went to a game with her retired Canadian snowbird cousins 2 seasons ago.

She didn't spend any money at the game because she is on a fixed income and is on a budget. These silver hairs don't spend much at the game.

The Coyotes should be marketing to 25-45 year old Arizonians, preferrably with large disposable incomes. Set up some promos at the Mercedes dealership or something.

I couldn't agree more. Personally I don't see marketing to Canadian snowbirds as a very worthwhile strategy for IA. Of the snowbirds I know that go to Arizona none are season ticket holders mainly because they are not in Arizona long enough to make it worthwhile. They may get to 2-3 games per year if they don't have to drive too far.

If IA is going to make it work in Glendale, they're going to have to get the vast majority of their support for pemanent Arizona residents.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
If IA is going to make it work in Glendale, they're going to have to get the vast majority of their support for pemanent Arizona residents.
:facepalm: People, people...I don't think anyone's arguing that they shouldn't mostly go for locals, but *does it hurt* to also market to *other* niche markets that might be unique to the area?

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
:facepalm: People, people...I don't think anyone's arguing that they shouldn't mostly go for locals, but *does it hurt* to also market to *other* niche markets that might be unique to the area?
:shakehead

And I'm saying that isn't money well spent at least as far as Canadian Snowbirds go. Just my opinion but there would be a very limited return on that investment.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

Not at all. I think this is more to do with the inevitable debate about what are they doing to promote said local market. Whether its the media or something else, there seems (emphasis SEEMS) to be more visibility in the news about IA saying things that can be construed as "questionable" (like this comment and the "finances trumps all" comment) earlier in the season-it depends on how much one reads into said things. I myself was instantly drawn to ask the questions, but then after reflection and discussion with other posters have pulled back (and also my own mental thoughts) and am trying to ride it out and give things a "chance".

I think it comes down to the "what ARE the reasons-to get a few extra hundred or few thousand "walkup/casual" ticket holders, or legitimately trying to expand fanbase this way"-there's still a lot of distrust.

DannoManno*

The coyotes might not have big name Canadian stars on the team, but they're playing against them pretty much every night. The pacific division is loaded with Canadian teams and Canadian stars. And four of the 7 Canadian teams are in the Western Conference. There's lots of good draws to get even the casual Canadian hockey fans out to Coyotes games.

Most of the Canadian snowbirds I know fly down to Phoenix, and don't bring satellite boxes in their luggage... Instead they have cox cable, because they bundle the phone, Internet and Cable tv. Plus a lot of Canadians bought condos, so satellite tv isn't even an option.

No one is saying contrary to the bolded part at the end of your post. That's not what this thread is about, though. Its about getting the Canadians to go out to more games. We all know they gotta get more native Phoenicians out to the games. (Not sure focussing on rich people is the key to that, but that's for another thread :) )

My parents are on a fixed income, but they still make it to at least 10 games while they are down in Phoenix for the winter... they're about 30-35 minutes away without too much traffic. (My dads a bit younger though, retired two years ago when he was 56). Maybe my dad doesn't mind going to more games because he doesn't golf.

A lot of the retired Candians down there have LOTS of money to spend, plus have kids and friends visiting in the winter. There's definitely an untapped market in all the Canadians down there!

I'm stucking with my original suggestion of building a Tim Hortons at Jobing.com Arena...

If you build it, they will come. ;)

JetsFlyHigh

Aug 5, 2012
The coyotes might not have big name Canadian stars on the team, but they're playing against them pretty much every night. The pacific division is loaded with Canadian teams and Canadian stars. And four of the 7 Canadian teams are in the Western Conference. There's lots of good draws to get even the casual Canadian hockey fans out to Coyotes games.

Most of the Canadian snowbirds I know fly down to Phoenix, and don't bring satellite boxes in their luggage... Instead they have cox cable, because they bundle the phone, Internet and Cable tv. Plus a lot of Canadians bought condos, so satellite tv isn't even an option.

No one is saying contrary to the bolded part at the end of your post. That's not what this thread is about, though. Its about getting the Canadians to go out to more games. We all know they gotta get more native Phoenicians out to the games. (Not sure focussing on rich people is the key to that, but that's for another thread :) )

My parents are on a fixed income, but they still make it to at least 10 games while they are down in Phoenix for the winter... they're about 30-35 minutes away without too much traffic. (My dads a bit younger though, retired two years ago when he was 56). Maybe my dad doesn't mind going to more games because he doesn't golf.

A lot of the retired Candians down there have LOTS of money to spend, plus have kids and friends visiting in the winter. There's definitely an untapped market in all the Canadians down there!

I'm stucking with my original suggestion of building a Tim Hortons at Jobing.com Arena...

If you build it, they will come. ;)

Yes, I would like to have a hot cup of coffee and a warm bagel while sitting in a patio in the desert. :yo:

Just kidding, I don't drink coffee.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Not at all. I think this is more to do with the inevitable debate about what are they doing to promote said local market.

Well, here's a new one - this Papa John's commercial with Mike Smith portrayed here was shown during the first few minutes of CBS Ch. 5's SEC Game of the Week saturday. Kind of unlucky that it was Florida-Georgia instead of, say, Alabama-LSU (and I say that as a Gator), but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPB6kzLptWk

I don't recall ever seeing Mike Smith in a commercial here before.

(and mike smith's a canadian in phoenix, so it's not OT)

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Well, here's a new one - this Papa John's commercial with Mike Smith portrayed here was shown during the first few minutes of CBS Ch. 5's SEC Game of the Week saturday. Kind of unlucky that it was Florida-Georgia instead of, say, Alabama-LSU (and I say that as a Gator), but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPB6kzLptWk

I don't recall ever seeing Mike Smith in a commercial here before.

(and mike smith's a canadian in phoenix, so it's not OT)

:laugh:

:thumbu:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
To be honest, I've never had local coffee in the States that I've liked. I think the cream isn't real cream or something. That, and the ice tea is like real tea...?

I wouldn't stop at coffee. Beer, cigarettes, food, and music at the games could draw more Canadians, just to make them feel more special or proud perhaps. But then that might segregate Americans and locals, so its a double edge sword.

DannoManno*

To be honest, I've never had local coffee in the States that I've liked. I think the cream isn't real cream or something. That, and the ice tea is like real tea...?

I wouldn't stop at coffee. Beer, cigarettes, food, and music at the games could draw more Canadians, just to make them feel more special or proud perhaps. But then that might segregate Americans and locals, so its a double edge sword.

Preference for Tim Hortons is one thing, but beer, food and music? Give me a break, other than poutine what can't you eat in America than you can in Canada? :laugh: (Cigarettes you might have a point, but I don't smoke, and you can't smoke in a hockey rink)

Having a "Canadian menu" is extreme... But offering poutine and some Canadian beers on the menu would be fine, and definitely not segregating.

Putting up a Tim Hortons at Jobing.com seems like a no brainer to me, though. I think the Canadians would definitely come check it out, and I bet the Americans would follow. It's not too hot for coffee in Phoenix, especially when the coffee is frozen! :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad