Canadians in Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...He wants them to go to more Coyotes games and not just when their hometown teams are playing. LeBlanc also want to promote more sports tourism to the Valley from Canada and northern U.S. markets. He said the cost of Coyotes tickets is much less than for games in Canadian cities and the Valley also offers those fans mild winters.

Indeed. And yet the cost of doing business, running a team is pretty much the same be you in Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver or Phoenix, San Jose or wherever else and its gate driven. Of course its less expensive to attend a game in Arizona, the reality being that prices simply have to start increasing on a graduated scale starting next season. Theyve got to get a handle on the thus far fiasco of parking. Prices have to increase so they can play on par with most of the rest of the league while increasing attendance & parking revenues substantially, otherwise Glendale will be in the soup as to will IceAz because sure as shootin they'll be bleeding a lot of red ink. Transient fans from Western Canada & the old Rust Belt though helpful certainly are but a small % of the gate & I would think that by now he should be more concerned with resurrecting the fan base in Phoenix proper than concerning himself Jets, Oilers, Flames, Canucks or Red Wing fans. Like, look after your own for goodness sakes.

Why doesn't Phoenix do a pubcrawl that starts with a hockey game? Tour buses with open bar to get an early start on a buzz before a game, thereby making the Yotes a part of the night life. Maybe have a Yotes nightclub nearby that allows you to party with the team after the game.

This is the crowd to market IMO.

Ya, that would be job 1 and pretty much a no brainer. Get out to the sports bars, line up a brewery & distillery sponsor, slap up posters, buy newspaper/radio/internet ads, put together packages that includes drinks & beverages in-bar pre-game, drinks on-board a 48 passenger bus to & from the the arena, seats, t-shirts etc. Figure out the liability issues & get it done. Co-sponsor an adult beer league with the participating bars etc etc etc. Not Rocket Science.

Nicely said... :thumbu:

Krispy Kreme made a stab at Arizona.... twice. I'd gladly kill for one but they never caught on here enough to survive. :(

I think like anything else... people will try Tim Horton's if IA were to bring one in, and if the product meets expectations then it'll be successful.

And Im sure Tim Hortons would be only too happy to sell them a Franchise. Cost is a mere $480,000 - $510,000. All Anthony would require is app $150,000 in cash with a LOC on the balance perfectly kosher, $50,000 in operating capitol. Relo negotiable if she doesnt cut it. For a guy like Tony? Easy Peasy. Could work the counter when the Sens, Leafs or Jets are in town & welcome all his Buds from Thunder Bay, Simcoe County & Nepean. Name badge n' all.... and say, you aware Levy Foods, your new caterer came up with a real beaut for a Nascar event in Texas? Double Bacon Cheeseburger sammiched in-betwixt a Krispy Kreme Honey Glazed Donut. No condiments of anykind like lettuce or tomato. Straight up.

Maybe people that drink Timmy's coffee and eat their donuts are hypnotized or drugged to keep buying their product :dunno:.... but I do know that the busiest kiosk at any Jets game is by far... the Tim Horton's.

Ya, sobering up during the 3rd period with an Extra Extra Large and a Cruller. Works a treat... or so I hear. ;)

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
timmies? hah. that's not a donut ...

THIS is a donut!!

a20791f12e87b471ddda6_m.jpg

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
And Im sure Tim Hortons would be only too happy to sell them a Franchise. Cost is a mere $480,000 - $510,000. All Anthony would require is app $150,000 in cash with a LOC on the balance perfectly kosher, $50,000 in operating capitol. Relo negotiable if she doesnt cut it. For a guy like Tony? Easy Peasy. Could work the counter when the Sens, Leafs or Jets are in town & welcome all his Buds from Thunder Bay, Simcoe County & Nepean. Name badge n' all.... and say, you aware Levy Foods, your new caterer came up with a real beaut for a Nascar event in Texas? Double Bacon Cheeseburger sammiched in-betwixt a Krispy Kreme Honey Glazed Donut. No condiments of anykind like lettuce or tomato. Straight up.

Do they FedEx???? :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Do they FedEx???? :laugh:

Oh you betcha. I'll send you a Care Package TL. Called the Quadruple By-Pass Burger. Way before the Heart Attack Grill came along.... side order of Flatliner Fries (cooked in lard)... I'll include a 12 pack of Sleepy Dog Breweries Wet Snout Milk Stout, 40lb'r of Wild Turkey and a carton of Camel's. Plain. John Wayne Specials. Gotta sign a waiver though....

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Oh you betcha. I'll send you a Care Package TL. Called the Quadruple By-Pass Burger. Way before the Heart Attack Grill came along.... side order of Flatliner Fries (cooked in lard)... I'll include a 12 pack of Sleepy Dog Breweries Wet Snout Milk Stout, 40lb'r of Wild Turkey and a carton of Camel's. Plain. John Wayne Specials. Gotta sign a waiver though....

Other top ten burgers to die for...

Luther Burger/Doughnut Burger (T.J. Mulligans)

luther-burger-doughnut-burger-t.j.-mulligans.jpg

Source: http://www.lifed.com/10-burgers-to-die-for-literally

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Luther Burger/Doughnut Burger...

Ya. Named after singer/songwriter Luther Vandross who had a stroke & died in 2005 at the age of 53 or 54. A diabetic who also suffered from hypertension. Like, good job there, with the diet n' whatnot Luther..... still....

looks kinda tasty, huh Llama? :P

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON

killion's recipe for living a long life :)

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
"Business of Hockey boards-THE place to catch up on all the latest gourmet dining" :laugh:

At the very least a Timmies kiosk for Canadian travellers wanting to treat their US friends to a taste of "home" ;)

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Why doesn't Phoenix do a pubcrawl that starts with a hockey game? Tour buses with open bar to get an early start on a buzz before a game, thereby making the Yotes a part of the night life. Maybe have a Yotes nightclub nearby that allows you to party with the team after the game.

This is the crowd to market IMO.

Not a bad idea, but Westgate is only the place with bars anywhere near the arena, since Jobing is in the middle of nowhere.

DannoManno*

Nicely said... :thumbu:

Krispy Kreme made a stab at Arizona.... twice. I'd gladly kill for one but they never caught on here enough to survive. :(

I think like anything else... people will try Tim Horton's if IA were to bring one in, and if the product meets expectations then it'll be successful.

I guess I lucky my parents are barely more than a 5 minute drive from the Krispy Kreme on Indian School Road. ;)

..... And people def drink Tim Hortons coffee and donuts during hockey games, although, I'd rather drink beer. (And have Krispy Kreme donuts instead of Timmy's)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Not a bad idea, but Westgate is only the place with bars anywhere near the arena, since Jobing is in the middle of nowhere.

What? Who the hell would put a hockey arena in the middle of nowhere, in a desert no less? :sarcasm:

But there are ways to get the young adults make hockey games a part of the night life scene. Party ticket packages come to mind. A discount package that provides 5 tickets to a single game, 5 beers each, and no cover to an after party.

Collaboration with the rest of the entertainment industry would help get families involved. Discounts that count towards a Yotes game, chuckie cheese and a bowling alley. Free seats for kids under 5 with a regular adult seat. Free games if you attend 5. Stuff like that. More long term actions...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
killion's recipe for living a long life :)

Rattlesnake Venom GS. That'd be yer key right there. Spent my yoot up amongst the islands of Georgian Bay.... before the Massasauga was put on the endangered species list. Alas today all your not even allowed to touch them, milk them for their venom (wonderful addition to Chili, Ceasars, Steak Sauce etc, the rattle itself a wonderful childs toy)... then again, good luck catching anyone doing it amongst 30,000 islands huh? If no one see's you breaking the law, didnt break any, right? Amiright?

At the very least a Timmies kiosk for Canadian travellers wanting to treat their US friends to a taste of "home" ;)

If Tim Hortons represents the pinnacle of Canadian Gourmandise Tl, Im turning in my Citizenship papers & moving to Cleveland. See ya.

..... And people def drink Tim Hortons coffee and donuts during hockey games, although, I'd rather drink beer. (And have Krispy Kreme donuts instead of Timmy's)

Ya. They sure do Danno. 4AM at Thunderbay Memorial Arena watching little Bobby there practicing with his Tyke Team because thats the only time the kids can access ice time. Same scene taking place from Stephenville Newfoundland to Trail British Columbia, from Erie Pennsylvania to....

DannoManno*

If Tim Hortons represents the pinnacle of Canadian Gourmandise Tl, Im turning in my Citizenship papers & moving to Cleveland. See ya.

Ya. They sure do Danno. 4AM at Thunderbay Memorial Arena watching little Bobby there practicing with his Tyke Team because thats the only time the kids can access ice time. Same scene taking place from Stephenville Newfoundland to Trail British Columbia, from Erie Pennsylvania to....

Lots of Tim hortons coffee being consumed at major junior and pro hockey too. ;)

I wouldn't call Tim Hortins the pinnacle of anything ... It's pretty mediocre, but Canadian love it up like there's nothing better :laugh:

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
tims is junk coffee. good junk coffee. not really coffee, more like 'coffee drink'. tims is as canadian as snow. every canadian has started out a cold wintery roadtrip with a stop at the drive-thru for double-doubles, hot chocolates, cruulers, timbits (one for your dog, ma'am?) and a bowl of chile. but its mostly for the coffee. the perfect start to any canadian day. ok, ready? let's go.

it's in our blood, we cant help it. you might as well put up a canadian flag as open a tim hortons counter at jobing.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
What? Who the hell would put a hockey arena in the middle of nowhere, in a desert no less? :sarcasm:

But there are ways to get the young adults make hockey games a part of the night life scene. Party ticket packages come to mind. A discount package that provides 5 tickets to a single game, 5 beers each, and no cover to an after party.

Collaboration with the rest of the entertainment industry would help get families involved. Discounts that count towards a Yotes game, chuckie cheese and a bowling alley. Free seats for kids under 5 with a regular adult seat. Free games if you attend 5. Stuff like that. More long term actions...

I think promotions like this would be a good idea.

DannoManno*

Just talked to my dad. His good friend Bob from NOVA via NYC is not a Canadian in Phoenix but is an American snowbird who knows hockey inside and out...outside and in...it is almost ridiculous.

And does he like hockey?

At the San Jose - Phoenix game in late April, my dad said Bob more or less screamed at a younger guy who dared to walk in front of him as he was watching the game...screamed to " take a seat!" ( yet when Bob, my dad and a few other American guys went to a Diamonback - Giants game...Bob spent more time yawning then watching). Bob is a hockey guy.

He could not give a rip about Timmy Ho's ...but he cares BIG about HOCKEY!!!!!!

And he is far from being the only American from the North-East (wintering in Phoenix...) He cares about hockey, and so do the rest of em'.

He's a Ranger fan, but more importantly he's a hockey fan, it doesn't matter if its Phoenix vs Nashville... He will be there, and he'll have a great time. (Btw Bob is 65 years old ;) )

Guys like Bob, regardless of nationality should be in the crosshairs of the new Coyotes ownership. :coyotes

Tackla

Jul 2, 2013
Just talked to my dad. His good friend Bob from NOVA via NYC is not a Canadian in Phoenix but is an American snowbird who knows hockey inside and out...outside and in...it is almost ridiculous.

And does he like hockey?

At the San Jose - Phoenix game in late April, my dad said Bob more or less screamed at a younger guy who dared to walk in front of him as he was watching the game...screamed to " take a seat!" ( yet when Bob, my dad and a few other American guys went to a Diamonback - Giants game...Bob spent more time yawning then watching). Bob is a hockey guy.

He could not give a rip about Timmy Ho's ...but he cares BIG about HOCKEY!!!!!!

And he is far from being the only American from the North-East (wintering in Phoenix...) He cares about hockey, and so do the rest of em'.

He's a Ranger fan, but more importantly he's a hockey fan, it doesn't matter if its Phoenix vs Nashville... He will be there, and he'll have a great time. (Btw Bob is 65 years old ;) )

Guys like Bob, regardless of nationality should be in the crosshairs of the new Coyotes ownership. :coyotes

If they are looking for the people who love the NHL and hate all other sports they are going to put themselves out of business fast in Phoenix. Sure these people exist and talk a good game, usually online, but they aren't going to be the bread and butter, especially in a southern market.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
It's like every possible kind of grease all in one bite-- fried 'bun', cheese, bacon, and hamburger. I bet they sneak in some mayonnaise too.

:laugh:

This...

Calorie-laden treat: PYT restaurant in Philadelphia has unveiled a deep-fried Twinkies burger - it consists of a beef and pork pattie, strips of crispy bacon, American cheese and two deep-fried Twinkies

twinkie_burger.jpg

Source: http://pytphilly.com/

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
tims is junk coffee. good junk coffee. not really coffee, more like 'coffee drink'. tims is as canadian as snow. every canadian has started out a cold wintery roadtrip with a stop at the drive-thru for double-doubles, hot chocolates, cruulers, timbits (one for your dog, ma'am?) and a bowl of chile. but its mostly for the coffee. the perfect start to any canadian day. ok, ready? let's go.

it's in our blood, we cant help it. you might as well put up a canadian flag as open a tim hortons counter at jobing.

I think Anthony would disagree... :sarcasm:

Tim_Horton_Merge.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad