WJC: Canadian U20 WJC Selection Camp Thread II

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I don't think he's going to be terrible, I just question the upside. I always find it interesting when players get a draft boost due to "character" and what not. It doesn't change the fact that the Malhotras, Chipchuras, etc of this world are average players.

Gubranson will be fine once he's out of Kingston and be coached by Deboer.
Kingston is the Black Hole of Calcutta for hockey prospects.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Blue chip 18 year old, especially the top 5 guys are basically written in stone for the WJC the year after. It's not really underhanded foul play, this is just the way the team is selected year after year.

Completely untrue. Off the top of my head I can think of Jeff O'Neil, Ric Jackman and JP Dumont -- all top 5 picks and never selected for WJ Canadian team.

So since you brought it up, how does Nike ensure Guddbranson gets selected without paying someone off again?

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Completely untrue. Off the top of my head I can think of Jeff O'Neil, Ric Jackman and JP Dumont -- all top 5 picks and never selected for WJ Canadian team.

So since you brought it up, how does Nike ensure Guddbranson gets selected without paying someone off again?

Nike doesnt need ensurance. Florida and Bob McKenzie did that for them by picking (ranking) him at 3 in last years draft

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Stick to examples in the last 10 years.

Like I said, HC can easily confirm to them a month ago (or whatever) that a marketable player like Gudbranson will make the team. Am I the only one that sees it this way?

They have a business relationship. I have a hard time envisioning Erik Gudbranson getting cut even if Nike had no part.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

Do you recall seeing commercials leading up to the Olympics featuring Phaneuf? I do. They took a calculated risk that Phaneuf would be on the team. Didn't work out that way.

How is this different?

I'm not sure I'd have selected Gudbranson, but having the #3 overall pick named to the WJC team is far from unusual.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Watching those Nike commercials with Gudbranson (even the 'I got hit by him' one), his appearances on OTR and That's Hockey clearly show that Nike spent a lot of money marketing him and to lesser degree Ellis. Nike now even has a Boom moment on TSN.

All that money spent and what if Gudbrason didn't make the team...? 'cos it's arguable that his training camp wasn't good enough for him to be on the team.

I mean they're using a forward to man the point on the PP...on a trapping team!...when either Murray or Murphy, both of whom far out played Gudbranson even defensively, could have been there.

I hate that corporate corruption is sneaking into hockey, even junior hockey, like in soccer. :shakehead:help::shakehead

Thinking Nike helped Gudbranson earn a spot on team Canada is pathetic:facepalm:

They know what he can bring to the game, and I think he was a lock even before the last camp. Maybe he hasn't played that well so far, but I'm sure he will step up as soon as the tournament is starting.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Stick to examples in the last 10 years.

Like I said, HC can easily confirm to them a month ago (or whatever) that a marketable player like Gudbranson will make the team. Am I the only one that sees it this way?

They have a business relationship. I have a hard time envisioning Erik Gudbranson getting cut even if Nike had no part.

But how did Nike 'ensure' (your word) that this happened even if it was a month ago? This is what I don't like..

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Do you recall seeing commercials leading up to the Olympics featuring Phaneuf? I do. They took a calculated risk that Phaneuf would be on the team. Didn't work out that way.

How is this different?

Just says Yzerman couldn't be bought 'cos he rather win.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
But how did Nike 'ensure' (your word) that this happened even if it was a month ago? This is what I don't like..

I said HC may have ensured to Nike that Gudbranson was going to be on the team. It's obvious he did not require a stellar season in Kingston and/or a decent camp to make the team....so is it that hard to imagine there was basically nothing beyond injury Gudbranson could have done not to make the team...it seems that way. And if so, is it hard to believe they could have relayed that info to a corporate sponsor that the player they obviously have an interest in marketing will make the team.

Are we just misunderstanding each other?

The Phaneuf example is interesting, but I don't think Nike would take that kind of chance marketing a relative unknown like Gudbranson if he wasn't gonna make the team. Everyone knows Phaneuf anyways, the Gudbranson name means nothing to most of the people watching the WJC if he isn't already on the team, the guy was being marketed this way as soon as camp started. He even took questions about leadership before he officially made the team.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

So Hockey Canada couldn't be bought a few months back, but they can now. I'm sure that's it.

Making the assumption that a returning player who was selected #3 overall in last year's draft was going to make the team isn't that much of a stretch, regardless of how he played during the camp. It was just about the same stretch as guessing Ryan Ellis would be on the team.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
Nike certainly did not buy him on to the team. However, Nike may have been ensured Erik Gudbranson would make the WJC team and they could proceed to make him a poster boy.

Nike really dropped the ball in their lobbying efforts with Hockey Canada when they made Phaneuf the centerpiece of their Olympic campaign.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Nike really dropped the ball in their lobbying efforts with Hockey Canada when they made Phaneuf the centerpiece of their Olympic campaign.

Yeah well all this really tells you is that they took a chance and got burnt. And although it was funny to me at the time, and I've always disliked Phaneuf, but it didn't even bother me.

I first watched Gudbranson play when he was 13 years old, so I recognize him easily....but it would be very weird to me if they went out on a limb and guessed wrong with him not making the team. I think it would be extremely weird for other people who can't identify with Gudbranson while they ask "who is that guy"...and I expect that's most people. I expect Nike would have needed some sort of confirmation that Gudbranson was making the team...they may have been more willing to go out on a limb with Phaneuf.

I find it hard to believe anyone would have thought Phaneuf was a lock at the time those commercials would have been made. But a year before the selection or even further back when those contracts may have been signed...he did appear to be a shoe in.

It appears to me Gudbranson was written in stone ever since he was drafted 3rd overall...or at least as soon as he made the Panthers.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I havent watched any of the games, how has Connolly looked?

Not as good I was hoping. For the most part invisible offensively...but I've also been underwhelmed by the overall game of his center Johansen as well. Gotta give it more time though.

Connolly had his bell rung last night apparently and did not practice today, not sure what that means for the rest of his tournament though.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I was at the Sweden game last night and must say that I wasn't impressed by the effort as a whole...despite the 4-1 victory. They were losing a lot of battles in the corners.

For all of the Gudbradson haters out there though, he did look good. He made a couple of really solid hits.

Manny*

Connoly and Johansen have both been really underwhelming. Ellis and Foligno have been great.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
Yeah well all this really tells you is that they took a chance and got burnt. And although it was funny to me at the time, and I've always disliked Phaneuf, but it didn't even bother me.

I first watched Gudbranson play when he was 13 years old, so I recognize him easily....but it would be very weird to me if they went out on a limb and guessed wrong with him not making the team. I think it would be extremely weird for other people who can't identify with Gudbranson while they ask "who is that guy"...and I expect that's most people. I expect Nike would have needed some sort of confirmation that Gudbranson was making the team...they may have been more willing to go out on a limb with Phaneuf.

I find it hard to believe anyone would have thought Phaneuf was a lock at the time those commercials would have been made. But a year before the selection or even further back when those contracts may have been signed...he did appear to be a shoe in.

It appears to me Gudbranson was written in stone ever since he was drafted 3rd overall...or at least as soon as he made the Panthers.

The production qualities in these NIKE ads aren't exactly stellar. And none of them appeared before the team was selected. It looks to me like they learned their lesson with Phaneuf and cut some inexpensive and accurate ads as quickly as possible post roster announcement.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So Hockey Canada couldn't be bought a few months back, but they can now. I'm sure that's it.

Making the assumption that a returning player who was selected #3 overall in last year's draft was going to make the team isn't that much of a stretch, regardless of how he played during the camp. It was just about the same stretch as guessing Ryan Ellis would be on the team.

Yzerman is not involved with selecting the juniors.

Gudbranson is NOT a returning player.

And No, it would NOT be same as Ellis returning.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Yzerman is not involved with selecting the juniors.

Gudbranson is NOT a returning player.

And No, it would NOT be same as Ellis returning.

Sorry, I was thinking Gudbranson was on last year's team.

Yes, I know Yzerman is not involved in selecting the WJC team, but he was working in conjunction with Hockey Canada when selecting the Olympic team. While Yzerman was appointed to run it, it was STILL Hockey Canada holding the reins. No different than the WJC.

Clearly you believe there was some payoff to get Gudbranson on the team. I think it's a ridiculous accusation, but there's really nothing anyone is going to say to get you to change your mind, so let's just agree to disagree.

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
Why didn't RNH make Team Canada

Just curious..if any of u Canadians can shed any light as to why RNH didn't make the team I would greatly appreciate it. A fast, speedy playmaker I would think is something that Team Can would want....i'm not reading to much into the fact that he didn't make the team as it pertains to his draft position ala Tyler Seguin, but it is interesting

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Just curious..if any of u Canadians can shed any light as to why RNH didn't make the team I would greatly appreciate it. A fast, speedy playmaker I would think is something that Team Can would want....i'm not reading to much into the fact that he didn't make the team as it pertains to his draft position ala Tyler Seguin, but it is interesting

It's just an age thing.
Similar to Ryan Murphy and Ryan Murray for Canadas defence.
(but I still think the play x play guy required a full year to get ready so he wouldn't mix those Ryan's up)

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Yzerman "won" by taking a wider mix of players to the Olympics; passing on players who were outplaying some of the guys who made the team because they were effectively redundant.

A sizable, physical defensive defenseman is not interchangeable with Ryan Murray or Ryan Murphy, who were the only two defenders who deserved a chance at the spot IMO. (Well, maybe Murray, but he's a 2012 eligible player...)

And really, I don't see you pointing your finger at Simon Despres, who wasn't very good in camp either and hasn't stood out in these pre-tournament games. No Nike money there. Did they need to fill their QMJHL quota or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00