WJC: Canadian U20 WJC Selection Camp Thread II

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Not crazy about having Ellis as the captain, he was pretty brutal last year, but we haven't really had a good captain in quite a few years. Hopefully the C helps him put his game together and he's plays a lot better than last year.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Can anyone shed some light as to why McIlrath was cut? With the way Canada's roster is built, McIlrath's physicality seems in line with the goal of the coach.

He was also injured for much of the season and just came back.

princegeorgehockey

Dec 15, 2010
british columbia
Not crazy about having Ellis as the captain, he was pretty brutal last year, but we haven't really had a good captain in quite a few years. Hopefully the C helps him put his game together and he's plays a lot better than last year.
ellis is the most qualified out of anyone else on team canada to be captian. after this tournament barring no injury ellis should be the all time scoring dman for team canada world juniors.

mstrninja

Sep 21, 2010
Windsor
Previous Captains for WJC Team Canada

1974 Doug Jarvis
1976 Fern Leblanc
1977 Dale McCourt
1978 Ryan Walter
1979 John Paul Kelly
1980 Rick Lanz, Dave Fenyves
1981 Marc Crawford
1982 Troy Murray
1983 James Patrick
1984 Russ Courtnall
1985 Dan Hodgson
1986 Jim Sandlak
1987 Steve Chiasson
1988 Theoren Fleury
1989 Eric Desjardins
1990 Dave Chyzowski
1991 Steven Rice
1992 Eric Lindros
1993 Martin Lapointe
1994 Brent Tully
1995 Todd Harvey
1996 Nolan Baumgartner
1997 Brad Larsen
1998 Cory Sarich, Jesse Wallin
1999 Mike Van Ryn
2000 Manny Malhotra
2001 Steve McCarthy
2002 Jarret Stoll
2003 Scottie Upshall
2004 Dan Paille
2005 Mike Richards
2006 Kyle Chipchura
2007 Kristopher Letang
2008 Karl Alzner
2009 Thomas Hickey
2010 Patrice Cormier
2011 Ryan Ellis

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Did Nike buy Gudbranson's spot on team Canada?

Watching those Nike commercials with Gudbranson (even the 'I got hit by him' one), his appearances on OTR and That's Hockey clearly show that Nike spent a lot of money marketing him and to lesser degree Ellis. Nike now even has a Boom moment on TSN.

All that money spent and what if Gudbrason didn't make the team...? 'cos it's arguable that his training camp wasn't good enough for him to be on the team.

I mean they're using a forward to man the point on the PP...on a trapping team!...when either Murray or Murphy, both of whom far out played Gudbranson even defensively, could have been there.

I hate that corporate corruption is sneaking into hockey, even junior hockey, like in soccer. :shakehead:help::shakehead

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Watching those Nike commercials with Gudbranson (even the 'I got hit by him' one), his appearances on OTR and That's Hockey clearly show that Nike spent a lot of money marketing him and to lesser degree Ellis. Nike now even has a Boom moment on TSN.

All that money spent and what if Gudbrason didn't make the team...? 'cos it's arguable that his training camp wasn't good enough for him to be on the team.

I mean they're using a forward to man the point on the PP...on a trapping team!...when either Murray or Murphy, both of whom far out played Gudbranson even defensively, could have been there.

I hate that corporate corruption is sneaking into hockey, even junior hockey, like in soccer. :shakehead:help::shakehead

Amen....that thought crossed my mind on most of the powerplays last night!
Murphy and Murray from reports were better than at least 2 defencemen that made the team.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Nike certainly did not buy him on to the team. However, Nike may have been ensured Erik Gudbranson would make the WJC team and they could proceed to make him a poster boy.

It was evident from the beginning of camp, in the first three videos TSN made about selection camp two were focused on Gudbranson. When the returnees fielded questions about wearing letters, Gudbranson was a non-returnee included for some reason.

The team is made, Gudbranson is all over Team Canada's media efforts, front and center just like at the start of camp excluding the hush hush period when it was being said he was playing poorly in camp.

I said a long time ago that Gudbranson would be a riser in the draft, it had a lot to do with character and potential and "Canadian style"...but this kids got a marketable face. The Panthers probably felt like they found a Capain/face of the franchise.

He made Team Canada for the same reason Jared Cowen made Team Canada last year and shouldn't have because of his knee. Their blue chippers. It's a 19 year olds tournament they say but the players people in hockey are most interested in are the 16,17,18 year old blue chippers.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Nike certainly did not buy him on to the team. However, Nike may have been ensured Erik Gudbranson would make the WJC team and they could proceed to make him a poster boy.

It was evident from the beginning of camp, in the first three videos TSN made about selection camp two were focused on Gudbranson. When the returnees fielded questions about wearing letters, Gudbranson was a non-returnee included for some reason.

The team is made, Gudbranson is all over Team Canada's media efforts, front and center just like at the start of camp excluding the hush hush period when it was being said he was playing poorly in camp.

I said a long time ago that Gudbranson would be a riser in the draft, it had a lot to do with character and potential and "Canadian style"...but this kids got a marketable face. The Panthers probably felt like they found a Capain/face of the franchise.

He made Team Canada for the same reason Jared Cowen made Team Canada last year and shouldn't have because of his knee. Their blue chippers. It's a 19 year olds tournament they say but the players people in hockey are most interested in are the 16,17,18 year old blue chippers.

Right-but what if he sucks?

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

How do you that without paying someone off? Something reeks of underhanded foul play.

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Hamilton - Step yo game up, Marcus, PSP

He's an Oiler prospect, and I want to see him succeed badly in this tourny. He hasn't seemed to press hard on the forecheck, which is what his line is all about. He had that one good chance against Sweden in the third. But from people who have seen him play, what can and should we expect from him in this tourny? I feel as though he isn't playing as well as everbody else except on the PK.

BTW he is a stupendous PKer, which will be beautiful in EDM.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
As long as he's great on the PK(which he has been) he's doing alright considering he's stapled to the bench. How many 5 on 5 shifts did he get last night? 5ish?

I think Oilers fans are used to watching Eberle be a go to guy for Canada so it's going to be a little different watching an Oilers prospect as the 12/13th forward.

When in the WHL, he probably Saskatoon's best player...just like every other player playing for Canada. How he plays in the WHL is almost irrelevant. Everyone needs to adjust their games when they play in the WJC. He's not there for offense. He's on the team to be a great penalty killer.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think he would suck if he would keep his game very simple.
Playin' with a crap team in Kingston he got into the habit of trying to do too much.

I don't think he's going to be terrible, I just question the upside. I always find it interesting when players get a draft boost due to "character" and what not. It doesn't change the fact that the Malhotras, Chipchuras, etc of this world are average players.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I don't think he's going to be terrible, I just question the upside. I always find it interesting when players get a draft boost due to "character" and what not. It doesn't change the fact that the Malhotras, Chipchuras, etc of this world are average players.

Yeah but Guddy's 6'4 211 in a frame that has a lot of room for meat. 6'4 225-230 some nice and he's real comfortable on his skates. You watch him in practice and he can do it all it seems, still raw...but the character makes you think your going to get the most out of him and his potential. No certainty.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

Those guys have jobs in the NHL, can't say the same for about 40%+ of first round draft picks. Take a look at Malhotra and Chipchura's drafts, their teams didn't exactly pass up superstars. They are called "safe" picks for a reason. Nobody is expecting Gudbranson to become a HOF'er, just a good top 4 d-man who can be a captain one day, it's not exactly unrealistic. Sorry to be the one informing you, but every player drafted in the first round doesn't become a superstar.

Wouldn't exactly call Gudbranson's skills and potential out of line for his draft position considering other top 5 picks who were defensemen like Hickey, Alzner, Barker, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad