WJC: Canadian U20 WJC Selection Camp Thread II

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
But why not? He seems to be putting points up at a rate as good as Hall or Stamkos.

Just from watching him, it seems clear he just isn't as dynamic of a scorer as guys like Stamkos, Hall, or Tavares were in junior.

He is producing fairly well, but he plays on a solid team, his skating is a lot less dynamic than the players mentioned above, and he plays more of a 2-way game using his size and strength as opposed to game-breaking dynamic offense.

I think this seems to be the sentiment that most people have gathered from watching him. Personally, I don't see that much wrong with his game, it's just different. I would love a guy who can pass, score, play 2 ways, and be physical down the middle in between 2 guys like Hall and Eberle.

If he goes #1 overall a team will be getting a very good player, it seems like he isn't the prototypical #1 overall forward pick that we have been accustomed to over the last few years.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
I'm going out on a limb and saying Couturier Schwartz and Schenn all have solid tournaments, but I think Connolly's got the best shot at leading theteam in points at the end of the tourny

Last edited:

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
Ryan Ellis named Captain....I'm a bit surprised it wasn't Schenn...he seems to fit the mold of what the coach is looking for than Ellis. Cowen, de Haan and Schenn get "A's"

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Ryan Ellis named Captain....I'm a bit surprised it wasn't Schenn...he seems to fit the mold of what the coach is looking for than Ellis. Cowen, de Haan and Schenn get "A's"

Ellis will make a fine Captain so this is in no way to shoot him down.

Captaincy at these tournaments has become 100% about seniority for Canada. Usually there is a decision to be made on captain because it's unusual there is a 3rd year guy...but this year there's 4 returnees, 1 3rd year and and 3 2nd years. It's hard to disagree....kids won a gold and you gotta think he comes into this tournament the most at ease of the bunch having been there done that more then any player in the room.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Ellis will thrive with the "C", plus its an awesome move by the coaching staff knowing he's out for revenge to get his gold!......my view

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I must be in the minority in that I genuinely don't care who wins gold. Canada could lose every game and I'd still love the tournament. I watch for prospects and the good hockey, and I don't really care about the result.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I must be in the minority in that I genuinely don't care who wins gold. Canada could lose every game and I'd still love the tournament. I watch for prospects and the good hockey, and I don't really care about the result.

Ditto.

I'm a hockey fan, not a Hockey Canada fan.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Just from watching him, it seems clear he just isn't as dynamic of a scorer as guys like Stamkos, Hall, or Tavares were in junior.

He is producing fairly well, but he plays on a solid team, his skating is a lot less dynamic than the players mentioned above, and he plays more of a 2-way game using his size and strength as opposed to game-breaking dynamic offense.

I think this seems to be the sentiment that most people have gathered from watching him. Personally, I don't see that much wrong with his game, it's just different. I would love a guy who can pass, score, play 2 ways, and be physical down the middle in between 2 guys like Hall and Eberle.

If he goes #1 overall a team will be getting a very good player, it seems like he isn't the prototypical #1 overall forward pick that we have been accustomed to over the last few years.

Truly, I'm guessing you've seen him play like 5 times max. The most he's ever been on TV is in the Memorial Cup when he was a 16 yr. old rookie on a stacked Drumondville squad.

BPR*

I like this roster. Canada has a nice mix of exciting youngsters and grizzly WJHC veterans. Expect a surprise run to the gold medal game.

RussianHockey96

Nov 24, 2010
Never, that Howden would be benched over Ashton or Hamilton. People seem to ignore a 22 goalscorer in WHL (only 29 games).

Howden thrived as the 13th forward at the U-18's for Canada. It's a role he has played well before, that's my reasoning behind putting him there. I don't think he will be benched, just that he will be moving around from line to line, switching places with other players etc. He fits the role.

And there is no point in quoting goal/point totals in their respective leagues, the cuts proved that. It's about roles.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
To those familiar with the players on this roster, what do you think of the skating ability of the players? Who would you consider an average or below average skater that made the team...enquiring minds want to know :)

Also, who do you think are the 3 worst skaters on the team?

I'm asking because of a debate I'm having with a friend

Last edited:

HemskyToHall*

Glad we have Ellis, better than that joke of a captain last year.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
To those familiar with the players on this roster, what do you think of the skating ability of the players? Who would you consider an average or below average skater that made the team...enquiring minds want to know :)

I think that skating-wise, this team is pretty good. Louis Leblanc, Cody Eakin, Brett Connolly and Quinton Howden are among the fastest of the group, and while none of them can match the likes of Chris Kreider in the speed department, their commitment to a full game will prevent their offense from being caught up. Ironically, probably the worst skater among the forwards is Brayden Schenn, who has good hockey IQ but is only average in his skating from what I've seen last year and while in LA. While I'm not saying it will happen, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets put into the background as the tournament goes on if other speedier players step up to the plate.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Cowen's gotta be the worst skater on the team....but he's also 6'5 230...so his skating is impressive for his size (and night/day compared to last year).

I would imagine a guy like Foligno may need work in the skating department...but it's not like I expect to see any weak skaters by any means on this team. Foligno's just a guess.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

The thing is you guys should stop bringing up the Q factor vs OHL and WHL. It's true that he's not the typical #1 pick we're used to see pick 1st overall. But, in 2006, Jordan Staal got drafted 2nd overall, before Toews, Kessel and Backstrom. Couturier's size is comparable to Staal's and Couturier plays a good well rounded game. He did produce more last year than Jordan did in his draft year...by a lot. Believe me, this kid at 16 years, was the youngest player on a stacked Voltigeur's team with two of the top scorers that year in Riendeau and Massé. Guy boucher put him in all situations during the playoffs that year and during the Memorial cup too. After Riendeau and Massé got signed and graduated from the Q, Couturier tore up the Q and did finish 1st in points, along with a guy 3 years older - Nicolas Deschamps. Although he didn't surpass the 100 pts cap, he did finish 1st at 17 years old and has shown tremendous improvement from 31 pts as a rookie to 96 pts. This guy has so much offensive upside but his defensive game is keeping him from reaching his real potential. People say that RNH has more offensive upside than him..it might be true, but Couturier has the frame and overall has a more complete package. Give him a break...Tavares and Hall didn't explode or destroy the NHL or anything..don't consider them as superior than Couturier this early in all their careers.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Can anyone shed some light as to why McIlrath was cut? With the way Canada's roster is built, McIlrath's physicality seems in line with the goal of the coach.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Can anyone shed some light as to why McIlrath was cut? With the way Canada's roster is built, McIlrath's physicality seems in line with the goal of the coach.

Probably a question of having too much of something already. They already have Cowen, Olsen and Gudbranson for size/toughness, and they're all currently superior to McIlrath. De Haan and Barrie provide fast, smooth puckmoving ability, Despres gives Canada a versatile two-way option, while Ellis provides with his captaincy and top-notch powerplay quarterbacking ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad