WJC: Canadian U20 WJC Selection Camp Thread II

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I hope RNH makes the team.

I think TC realizes they made a huge mistake last year not taking Seguin and don't want to repeat it again this year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I hope RNH makes the team.

I think TC realizes they made a huge mistake last year not taking Seguin and don't want to repeat it again this year.
He hasn't produced a whole lots of offense for a guy who would be pure offense at the tourney, I think he goes as the 13th

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Schwartz Schenn Connolly
Couturier Johansen Leblanc
Howden Sheahan Hamilton
Foligno Cizikas Kassian

RNH/Eakin

de Haan Ellis
Cowen Gudbranson
Olsen Pysyk
Murphy

Roy
Pickard

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Erik Gudbranson is the story of camp for me.

A guy that was likely given every opportunity to make the team may actually be in doubt. The focus early on in camp was clearly on Gudbranson as the highest touted non-returnee on defense, perhaps too focused on him as he was the only non-returnee that took questions about taking a letter on the eventual final roster.

He was a -4 in the first intersquad game and was on for 2 even strength goals on tonight and getting absolutely burnt with soft and lazy defensive play on one of them. I think what hurts Gudbranson the most as far as making the team goes is the troubles Jared Cowen suffered last year as a player they gave the benefit of the doubt with due to blue chip status.

From a development and prospect perspective, don't take this kid if there's a reasonable chance he could end up a liability like Cowen was last year...these kids are young and have tons of potential, don't ruin that by putting them in a position where they may embarrass themselves in the country...fortunately for Cowen he had an excuse but man they handled him poorly last year.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
My predictions for tomorrow's cuts:

JP Anderson
Calvin Pickard
Mark Pysyk
Tyson Barrie
Ryan Murray
Michael Bournival
Quinton Howden
Curtis Hamilton
Brandon Pirri

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
couturier is going dominate the tourny

Agreed Couturier is gonna dominate any other player out there for sure. He'll show what he can do and people don't give him enough credit because he's in the Q... big frame, great 2-way player and can definitely score. But, IMO, like McGuire said on TSN today, team Canada's most offensive guy could be Louis Leblanc. 1st overall pick should be clearer with Couturier, Larsson, Nugent-Hopkins and Murphy in the tourney(if all 3 from Canada make it).

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
My predictions for tomorrow's cuts:

JP Anderson
Calvin Pickard
Mark Pysyk
Tyson Barrie
Ryan Murray
Michael Bournival
Quinton Howden
Curtis Hamilton
Brandon Pirri

Honestly, I don't think Hamilton is getting cut.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
I really didn't like Gudbranson's post game comments saying he played much better tonight when by all accounts he didn't, and got absolutely burned on that one goal.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I really didn't like Gudbranson's post game comments saying he played much better tonight when by all accounts he didn't, and got absolutely burned on that one goal.

But did anyone actually watch the game? If his really only bad play was that one mistake, then who cares? Maybe his feeling that he played better is true. Was anyone there?

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Agreed Couturier is gonna dominate any other player out there for sure. He'll show what he can do and people don't give him enough credit because he's in the Q... big frame, great 2-way player and can definitely score. But, IMO, like McGuire said on TSN today, team Canada's most offensive guy could be Louis Leblanc. 1st overall pick should be clearer with Couturier, Larsson, Nugent-Hopkins and Murphy in the tourney(if all 3 from Canada make it).

Murphy, as good as he appears to be, doesn't belong in the conversation. Even RNH is hanging in the conversation by a thread right now. I think it's a two horse race between Couturier and Larsson. My money's on Couturier.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Honestly, I don't think Hamilton is getting cut.

It's really a tough call up front. The blueline's a little clearer it seems but the forwards can really go either way. There's bound to be a surprise or two...

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Anyone know whose shaping up to be the #1 and 2 Dmen? Im hoping DeHann can take one of those spots and really put on a show. The Islanders could use some good news.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Anyone know whose shaping up to be the #1 and 2 Dmen? Im hoping DeHann can take one of those spots and really put on a show. The Islanders could use some good news.

It's shaping up to be a top-3 +someone, with the three returnees as that top 3. Gudbransson was expected to be the 4th, but has by all accounts struggled in camp. I wouldnt be too concerned about which of the pairings is '#1' and which is '#2'. I expect all three to get comparable ice time due to special teams. If I were an isles fan, there is no reason to worry, dehaan will be showcased in this tournament unless he struggles in early round robin games, and i somehow doubt that will happen.

People are going to want to label whichever pairing has 2 of the 3 as the '#1' pairing early, but in reality this team will have 3 #1 dmen, and who plays with who at even strength will come down to chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00