OT: Canadian Tennis

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Holy shit, she did it. Serena was really coming on and swung momentum back her way.

That was the most Canadian celebration ever lol. Acted like she was seeking and just won her 10th US Open title, not her first.

Reactions: Cloned

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Just watched the game. Do US open fans have a past of being absolute disgraces? No etiquette, cheering first fault serves, no applause for a 19 year old teen who just beat the greatest women's tennis player of all time?

What a joke.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Holy ****, she did it. Serena was really coming on and swung momentum back her way.

That was the most Canadian celebration ever lol. Acted like she was seeking and just won her 10th US Open title, not her first.

She’s still in shock. Once it really hits her she’ll celebrate a lot more loudly in private lol.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Amazing. This girl is a machine. What a great experience too, how Serena just stole all momentum back, and Bianca had to fight through and get it together again and close it out with a great winner. Hope this is a sign of things to come for Andreescu for many years to come!

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Just watched the game. Do US open fans have a past of being absolute disgraces? No etiquette, cheering first fault serves, no applause for a 19 year old teen who just beat the greatest women's tennis player of all time?

What a joke.
I was disgusted by the partisan crowd, turned my tv down because of it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just watched the game. Do US open fans have a pass of being absolute disgraces? No etiquette, cheering first fault serves, no applause for a 19 year old teen who just beat the greatest women's tennis player of all time?

What a joke.
The crowd was much better than I expected them to be considering Serena was in the final with a chance to win a record tying 24th Grad Slam title. I think they were subdued because Serena was broken early in the first set, lost it and then broken early again in the second set. Outside of the tail end of the second set, it never really looked like Serena was in it. Had it been a closer match I think the crowd would have been much worse. Compared to how they were when Bianca played Taylor Townsend, they were very polite today.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think Serena genuinely likes Bianca. It started at Toronto and I think she has a healthy amount of respect for Bianca, namely because they play the same type of game.

Reactions: joestevens29

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The color commentator was to Serena as Hrudey is to the Flames.

I didn't mind them because of how horrid the commentators were for Bianca's last few matches. Especially against Townsend. There is 1 woman in the last matches that just felt the need to ramble stupid garbage constantly that wasn't in this broadcast today. And McEnroe (thankfully also not calling it today) would keep encouraging the dumb rambling.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I didn't mind them because of how horrid the commentators were for Bianca's last few matches. Especially against Townsend. There is 1 woman in the last matches that just felt the need to ramble stupid garbage constantly that wasn't in this broadcast today.

Yeah they were pretty fair today.

I mean Evert threw compliments her way throughout the entire match.

Then at the end said she has the full package.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If anyone thinks the crowd today was bad just wait till tomorrow with Russian Medvedev against a general crowd favourite in Nadal.

I have no interest in that match but I’m still going to watch just to see Medvedev troll the crowd.

Reactions: rboomercat90

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Anyone else feel like they didn't show us Spike Lee and Meghan Markle enough? :sarcasm:

Andreescu handled herself amazingly well. What a whirlwind of a half year for her. 19 and already a Canadian tennis legend.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I didn't mind them because of how horrid the commentators were for Bianca's last few matches. Especially against Townsend. There is 1 woman in the last matches that just felt the need to ramble stupid garbage constantly that wasn't in this broadcast today. And McEnroe (thankfully also not calling it today) would keep encouraging the dumb rambling.

I don't watch much tennis. I thought the female was pretty pro-Serena during the final and the main commentator kept it very neutral. I didn't hear her throw one compliment Bianca's way the entire match, just what Serena needed to do to get back in it. Maybe that was my bias partly kicking in too though lol.

I can imagine what the other matches must have been like if I thought the color commentating was pretty biased for this one and you're saying it's been worse.

Reactions: jbobell98

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If anyone thinks the crowd today was bad just wait till tomorrow with Russian Medvedev against a general crowd favourite in Nadal.

I have no interest in that match but I’m still going to watch just to see Medvedev troll the crowd.
I can’t stand Nadal but I’m going to watch just to see how ugly that crowd gets. I’d love to see Medveded win just for the entertainment factor.

Reactions: Duke74 and Cloned

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Congrats to Bianca Andreescu for doing the seemingly impossible and rising from #150 rank female player to Grand Slam champ and dominant player, all in the same year, the same year she had a major injury, and she is 19...

Heroes do walk among us.

To anybody younger note that Bianca is citing visualization and meditation/ positivity training for her success and winning.

So important in sports. Whether it be golf, tennis, hockey, whatever scoring or hitting winner shots is so reliant on confidence, concentration, visualizing exactly what you will do, knowing you will, and following through. Look at her match winning point as example. A flat out service return winner that is smoking hot and a foot inside the line. Any Womens tennis player in the world doesn't have a chance on that one. Because it was perfectly executed by Bianca AFTER she conceived the right shot in her head.

Eliminate negativity when out there and you eliminate the self questioning and confusion about what shot or play to make. Most misplays, in many sports are the result of doubt and indecision which can momentarily paralyze or have one try to do two different things at once.

For Bianca the Tennis Ball is a watermelon and she's smashing all day. The game is slowed down, she knows exactly what she wants to do on each shot, and has the perfected technique in which to exercise her visualization.

I flash back to Krueger who helped struggling young players like Yakupov and Gagner with the same technique and framework of positivity visualisation.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah they were pretty fair today.

I mean Evert threw compliments her way throughout the entire match.

Then at the end said she has the full package.
I have to agree I don't think it was that bad at all. The one commentator went on to say "i want her to be selfish, go out there and want to win a bunch of majors in a row".

The crowd also cheered pretty damn good for her as well.

Considering this is an American tournament it could've been a whole lot worse for Bianca.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I have to agree I don't think it was that bad at all. The one commentator went on to say "i want her to be selfish, go out there and want to win a bunch of majors in a row".

The crowd also cheered pretty damn good for her as well.

Considering this is an American tournament it could've been a whole lot worse for Bianca.
Whoever was complaining about the crowd needs to watch the Rogers Cup when a Canadian is playing. It isn’t partisan either. In fact it’s a lot like what it was for Bianca when she played Taylor Townsend.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Whoever was complaining about the crowd needs to watch the Rogers Cup when a Canadian is playing. It isn’t partisan either. In fact it’s a lot like what it was for Bianca when she played Taylor Townsend.
Pretty much. Commentators were 100% Team Bianca as well.

What's funny is in the Semi Bianca had the crowd on her side. They were yelling stuff like "you got this Bianca".

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thats exactly what I was thinking. The commentators did go on and on about Sernea after the match but aside from that it was pretty much what I expected it to be.
I was very glad to hear the commentators say that that Serena was playing as good as she has played in the last year and Bianca still beat her. Serena has never seen her serves returned with that kind of power.
I thought Serena was lucky to win as many games as she did. She has the crowd to thank for that.
Just an oytstanding accomplishment by Bianca.

One side note...I have no idea why the women and men get the same amount of money for winning the tournament.
Doesnt make sense to me when the men have to play a best of 5 match and the women only have to play a best of 3.
If the women want the same pay they should have to do the same amount of work.
Just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad