OT: Canadian Tennis

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bummer how badly Serena destroyed her last 2 opponents. She is gonna be well rested tomorrow. Poor Bianca probably had her body weight in sweat come out of her over the last 2 matches. Going forward in her career, she should probably do something like Federer and train in extreme heat.

Hoping for the best and she can gut this match out. She's shown us all that she has that will in her, but Serena is beast-moding.

There was no extreme heat though. It was humid for her quarterfinal match but it was still low 80s which isn't too bad realtively. Yesterday was a lot cooler so I was surprised to see her sweating so much. She's probably one of those people who sweats with minimal exertion, much like Nadal.

I actually think her best chance to beat Serena is in warmer conditions where the play might be a little slower. If Serena plays like she did in the semi, I don't see much of a chance for Bianca unfortunately.
I'll be rooting hard for her either way. It would be an incredible story if she can pull it off.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There was no extreme heat though. It was humid for her quarterfinal match but it was still low 80s which isn't too bad realtively. Yesterday was a lot cooler so I was surprised to see her sweating so much. She's probably one of those people who sweats with minimal exertion, much like Nadal.

I actually think her best chance to beat Serena is in warmer conditions where the play might be a little slower. If Serena plays like she did in the semi, I don't see much of a chance for Bianca unfortunately.
I'll be rooting hard for her either way. It would be an incredible story if she can pull it off.

Absolutely disagree with this.
The only potential aspect of Serenas game that clearly surpasses Biancas is the serve.
In every other aspect Bianca is as good if not better.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Wonder what athletes can do to minimize sweating with the humidity and stale air. Maybe some change to the clothing they're wearing. Get some more high tech sweat bands. Maybe there is some adaptation the body can make if you train with higher humidity. Or maybe just go wild with botox all over the place to block the sweat glands :)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Absolutely disagree with this.
The only potential aspect of Serenas game that clearly surpasses Biancas is the serve.
In every other aspect Bianca is as good if not better.

I'm a big fan of Bianca but I just can't agree with this. Serena has the most powerful groundstrokes in the history of women's tennis.
Her footwork can be clunky at times which leads to some inconsistency off the ground especially now in her elder years but when she's focused, nobody can match her from the baseline.

Bianca has a better drop shot and she moves better but if this is a baseline battle and Serena is on, I just can't see Bianca matching that. She'll have to mix up her shots and/or hope that Serena is off a bit like she was in the last few finals. She blew Svitolina off the court who is similar to Bencic, Serena at that level is untouchable.

Reactions: dustrock

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It's like when underdog, Canadian Andre De Grasses was going up against the legend in Bolt. You know they have an outside chance at the upset, and the likely result is a respectable podium finish.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Best tennis player Romania has ever produced.
sarcasm? Or serious? Cause someone who was born in Ontario and was part of the Tennis Canada program is as Canadian as you get even if she did spend a few years in Romania as a child.
Further to that she'd have to win some majors to over take Halep as far as Romanians go anyway.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
sarcasm? Or serious? Cause someone who was born in Ontario and was part of the Tennis Canada program is as Canadian as you get even if she did spend a few years in Romania as a child.
Further to that she'd have to win some majors to over take Halep as far as Romanians go anyway.
Relax, just teasing. Spent some of her childhood years back in her native parents land, and began the journey there.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
She kinda dismantled everyone at the Canadian Open as well. Then Bianca had her running and Serena ended up with a back issue.
Serena has looked fitter and slimmer in every tournament I’ve seen her play as the year has gone on. I agree with those that say she came back too early and think she is just now rounding into form. We’ll see what happens. Good news is that Bianca has two days to rest as well. She should be close to 100% as well. I think the rest will do wonders for her as she looked a little tired against Bencic.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Serena has looked fitter and slimmer in every tournament I’ve seen her play as the year has gone on. I agree with those that say she came back too early and think she is just now rounding into form. We’ll see what happens. Good news is that Bianca has two days to rest as well. She should be close to 100% as well. I think the rest will do wonders for her as she looked a little tired against Bencic.

fitness was never Serena's forte anyway. She won a whole pile by simple blowing other girls off the court and then if someone could hit with her she was stronger mentally than them.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm a big fan of Bianca but I just can't agree with this. Serena has the most powerful groundstrokes in the history of women's tennis.
Her footwork can be clunky at times which leads to some inconsistency off the ground especially now in her elder years but when she's focused, nobody can match her from the baseline.

Bianca has a better drop shot and she moves better but if this is a baseline battle and Serena is on, I just can't see Bianca matching that. She'll have to mix up her shots and/or hope that Serena is off a bit like she was in the last few finals. She blew Svitolina off the court who is similar to Bencic, Serena at that level is untouchable.

Actually Serena doesnt have the most powerful ground strokes. If you listened to the broadcasts this past week they mentioned that Bianca has more topspin rotation and more speed on her ground strokes than any other female player.
Also..aside form having better foot speed and foot work Bianca also has more shots in her toolbox and she executes them at a higher level than does Serbea.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Win or lose this is a highly entertaining match.

This is as close to a men’s tennis match as I’ve seen from the women. Bianca really is the future of the women’s game. Others will have to start playing with this kind of spin and power now.

Reactions: rboomercat90

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hurricane long gone. Bianca is nice and dry and on a mission. Amazing match so far.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Win or lose this is a highly entertaining match.

This is as close to a men’s tennis match as I’ve seen from the women. Bianca really is the future of the women’s game. Others will have to start playing with this kind of spin and power now.
Was thinking this exact thing watching it.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Was thinking this exact thing watching it.

Right?

Usually women’s matches are filled with short rallies and tons of unforced errors and non committal play.

Not today.

I mean Serena isn’t even playing that badly. Just that Bianca is playing really well.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Eek, nerves striking a bit. Hope Bianca can get it together soon.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Going from championship point to choking it away.

I dont know if there's timeouts in tennis but Biancas coach needs to call one.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad