OT: Canadian Tennis

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bianca really gutted out a win today.
She looked sluggish to me....drained. Yet she still managed to dig down, raise her energy and find a way to win.
She plays tomorrow and my main concern for her is that she is able to recharge enough to be able to play her high energy game.
If she can and she manages to win she will get an extra day before she plays in the Final on Saturday.

So much fun watching her play...I know I am sounding like a broken record here but it would be amazing to see her win especially against Serena. :nod:

The biggest thing with Bianca is she is good enough at the “simple” things of the game that it becomes second nature to her and she can instead focus on doing the “next level” things that give her an edge over her opponents.

You typically see this trait in most of the elite greats in any sport. Gretzky, for example, was so good at the basic skills of the sport that he could basically expend his energy and focus on trying to outsmart his opponents instead of worrying about mishandling the puck or second guessing his positioning on the ice.

You compare her to someone like Genie Bouchard, who needs to spend more effort on making sure her fundamentals are in order and as a result becomes more predictable because she’s just focused on hitting the ball back and not on winning the chess match on the court. Bianca, by comparison, doesn’t have that issue so everything she does on the court usually has a specific purpose and she tries things on the court to put her opponent in uncomfortable situations.

Her game is also more advanced relative to her peers, and at a younger age, than someone like Shapo, for example. She knows when to give time and space if the shot isn’t there and she’s more willing to extend a point instead of forcing the issue and committing an unforced error.

She’s probably the most complete Canadian tennis player to come along in a very long time. What she’s missing right now is consistency within a match. That’s something that most young players have trouble with; some grow out of it, while some never take that next step. Smart money would be on her becoming #1 in the world at some point in the next two years.

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bianca really gutted out a win today.
She looked sluggish to me....drained. Yet she still managed to dig down, raise her energy and find a way to win.
She plays tomorrow and my main concern for her is that she is able to recharge enough to be able to play her high energy game.
If she can and she manages to win she will get an extra day before she plays in the Final on Saturday.

So much fun watching her play...I know I am sounding like a broken record here but it would be amazing to see her win especially against Serena. :nod:
She was soaking wet after the 2nd point, while Bencic was quite dry.

That humidity could become troublesome for her

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's nothing.
She said it was something she came across that she thought looked cool, and ended up wearing it, and has been winining ever since. Its become her good luck charm.
Looks like something the librarians use to have on their wrist as a key change

Reactions: booyakasha

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
She was soaking wet after the 2nd point, while Bencic was quite dry.

That humidity could become troublesome for her

It's cool today, almost fall like, so the weather conditions shouldn't bother her.

Bencic is her biggest worry, she's one of the best at absorbing power (a better version of Mertens) so she'll have to exercise patience if she wants to win tonight.

Reactions: joestevens29

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Didn’t get a chance to watch it, but noticed she was down 4-1 in the 2nd set, came back to win 7-5.

Congrats on advancing to the finals! Let’s go!!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The biggest thing with Bianca is she is good enough at the “simple” things of the game that it becomes second nature to her and she can instead focus on doing the “next level” things that give her an edge over her opponents.

You typically see this trait in most of the elite greats in any sport. Gretzky, for example, was so good at the basic skills of the sport that he could basically expend his energy and focus on trying to outsmart his opponents instead of worrying about mishandling the puck or second guessing his positioning on the ice.

You compare her to someone like Genie Bouchard, who needs to spend more effort on making sure her fundamentals are in order and as a result becomes more predictable because she’s just focused on hitting the ball back and not on winning the chess match on the court. Bianca, by comparison, doesn’t have that issue so everything she does on the court usually has a specific purpose and she tries things on the court to put her opponent in uncomfortable situations.

Her game is also more advanced relative to her peers, and at a younger age, than someone like Shapo, for example. She knows when to give time and space if the shot isn’t there and she’s more willing to extend a point instead of forcing the issue and committing an unforced error.

She’s probably the most complete Canadian tennis player to come along in a very long time. What she’s missing right now is consistency within a match. That’s something that most young players have trouble with; some grow out of it, while some never take that next step. Smart money would be on her becoming #1 in the world at some point in the next two years.

I think the Andreescu / Bouchard comparisons are completely valid.
That said I dont think its reasonable to compare Andreescu to Shapovalov. Different dynamics entirely between the mens and womens game and between the players.

I dont think the consistency is much of an issue for her.
She is 39-4 in her matches this year. Thats #1 in the world....by a lot.
If her game drops off its never to the point of getting out of control. In the pressure moments she ramps up her game.
Aside from having a complete game she is just so mentally tough. Thats what sets her apart IMO.
I think Biancas game is summed up in the one line she said after the match....."I never give up"

She is the definition of resiliency.

What an amazing story she is...makes you proud to be a Canadian. :nod:

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Unreal how she came back in both sets like that. Just amazing watching her. Some don't like it, but you can really see that her going pretty much full out on second serves is quite an asset. She believes in her serve and if it leads to a double fault oh well. Seems like it's working for her so keep doing it.

Anyone else noticed how she gives zero f***s about balls? Most tennis players f*** around bouncing the balls, she just takes whatever is given to her and hits it. Even on the one fault, she walked up to grab it again. She obviously grew up learning not to waste :laugh:

Reactions: guymez

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Bummer how badly Serena destroyed her last 2 opponents. She is gonna be well rested tomorrow. Poor Bianca probably had her body weight in sweat come out of her over the last 2 matches. Going forward in her career, she should probably do something like Federer and train in extreme heat.

Hoping for the best and she can gut this match out. She's shown us all that she has that will in her, but Serena is beast-moding.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bummer how badly Serena destroyed her last 2 opponents. She is gonna be well rested tomorrow. Poor Bianca probably had her body weight in sweat come out of her over the last 2 matches. Going forward in her career, she should probably do something like Federer and train in extreme heat.

Hoping for the best and she can gut this match out. She's shown us all that she has that will in her, but Serena is beast-moding.
She kinda dismantled everyone at the Canadian Open as well. Then Bianca had her running and Serena ended up with a back issue.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How come tennis doesn't have any sort of fan apparel?

The whole "She the North" angle probably could be making some decent money right now.

Heck it appears the Americans are fans of her as well now. I doubt they will be for the final, but she was sure getting the crowd support last night.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How come tennis doesn't have any sort of fan apparel?

The whole "She the North" angle probably could be making some decent money right now.

Heck it appears the Americans are fans of her as well now. I doubt they will be for the final, but she was sure getting the crowd support last night.

Good point.
In terms of the fan support I think it will be an overwhelming amount of support for Serena. She played the victim/gender card last year...it was phony as hell but it worked like a charm especially with the Tennis media.
So aside from being American she will be viewed as poor Serena looking to get redemption.

I guess there is the record wins at grand slams as well. I hope thats what the media focuses on and not the poor Serena angle. Unlike the phony story from last year the Grand Slam story is worthy of attention. That would be an amazing accomplishment.

In any event...lots of reasons for why I want to see Bianca beat her. :nod:

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think its going to be tough for Bianca against Serena. To me Andreescu has the most difficulty against players that can generate the pace on shots she can and that can bang rallies. Andreescu success seems at least partly due to being physically stronger than her female adversaries. Somebody made a comment about battle of the thighs but its actually something. Both have strong legs and generate that into their shots. As with most sports I always felt full body gets utilized to some degree to not only getting to a shot, but part of the mortal coil of hitting winners. I wonder how much power comes from lower body for some of the pace and speed of balls that are generated in Tennis. I always like seeing players with complete body strength. Not pencil legs that can't muster much of anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad