Canadian Team with Best Top 5 Prospects

Which Canadian team has the best top 5 prospects?

• Total voters

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
All I have to say is HATS OFF to Dubas for making a really strong prospect pool on a contending team.

Reactions: TopChedder

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
1. Ottawa
2. Montreal
3. Edmonton
4. Winnipeg
5. Toronto
6. Calgary
7. Vancouver

IMO

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
MTL for the same reason Edmonton has the best core in the league, they have the better player by far.

Caufield blows every single canadian prospect out of the water save for Heinola and Robertson. WPG doesn't have any depth after Perfetti and Toronto has Sandin = Harris/Guhle as fringe top 4 Ds.
Caufield does not beat out Sanderson as a prospect just for being nominated for the hobey Baker just like it doesn't make pinto close to Sanderson.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
One post and you're already tightening the goalposts from NCAA player to U20 NCAA player.

Yeah this isn't helping. Caufield doesn't drag a prospect pool from 7th to 1st by himself. You're either overrating Caufield because he's your teams best prospect, or you're severely underrating the rest of the prospects.

And he also changed the goalposts from "ever" to "last 30 years"

The goal is getting smaller by the minute.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Sens then Oil.

Not sure I agree with Skinner in the top 5 for Edmonton. Benson (Leading scorer in the AHL) is a better prospect imo.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Should probably be Chisholm over either Berdin or Torgersson right now for Winnipeg; Vesalainen should be on there as well.

Chisholm has adapted to the pro game very well after an insane OHL season last year and is tracking very good towards becoming an NHLer, Vesalainen still has middle six potential quite easily.

Hell, I’d put Gustafsson over some of these guys too.

The meme that Winnipeg doesn’t have depth in their prospect pool can live better when you include Berdin (arguably not even our top goalie prospect) and Torgy (blew out his knee and hasn’t played yet this year).

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I would say

Ottawa is the clear #1
Edmonton the clear #2
Toronto/Winnipeg/Montreal pretty interchangeable at #3
Calgary clear #6
Vancouver clear #7

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Liljegren over Abruzzese for sure.
Leaf have some high performing Finns as well. Like the depth for my team but I'm probably biased.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I can't even pretend to know enough about the top 5 prospects on 7 different teams. I have no clue, and neither do probably a bunch of posters who voted.

Does an average poster really know who Norlinder, Peltsman, and Samberg are?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Ottawa clearly wins this one, and they deserve to as they've done a very good job at drafting. We shall see if it can translate into any sort of success at the NHL level. Not always so easy.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
All I have to say is HATS OFF to Dubas for making a really strong prospect pool on a contending team.

Posters are going to be very surprised at the depth of the Leafs draft prospects (not just the 5 on here lol) the next while. It's going to be a long sustainable process as a contender.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Liljegren is arguably the Leafs' best prospect. He's only 21 and is one of the best 2 way D in the AHL. He 100% should be in over Abruzzese. That said the answer is Ottawa and it's not even close.

Reactions: CatchyTune

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
MTL for the same reason Edmonton has the best core in the league, they have the better player by far.

Caufield blows every single canadian prospect out of the water save for Heinola and Robertson. WPG doesn't have any depth after Perfetti and Toronto has Sandin = Harris/Guhle as fringe top 4 Ds.

Holloway's production in the NCAA this year was nearly as good as Caufield despite being a year younger and the much better defensive/physical player.

Also I'd pretty comfortably take Bouchard/Sanderson ahead of him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Holloway's production in the NCAA this year was nearly as good as Caufield despite being a year younger and the much better defensive/physical player.

Also I'd pretty comfortably take Bouchard/Sanderson ahead of him.

Nearly as good... Is Matthews nearly as good as McDavid this year?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Based on to OP, I think its Edmonton.

But if were being realistic, Stutzle could/should probably be included on the list. Theres other guys you could make this case for.

Looking at a prospect list is kinda silly in my opinion. Its probably just better to pick X age and compare the players on each team regardless if they are playing on the team or not playing on the team.

Reactions: nturn06

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
The problem with using Button as a reference is he has a great deal of trouble adjusting his initial opinion of a prospect once a larger body of evidence becomes available.
A trait he shares with Pierre.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Let me rephrase that:

Holloway was better than Caufield this year, despite being a year younger.

So you live in an alternate reality where Holloway is winning the Hobey Baker, where Holloway scored more goals than pretty much anyone in three decades and had the 3rd best PPG?

Do you think Marchand is a much better player than McDavid? By all accounts they both had a similar PPG gap and one of them just brings a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad