Canadian Soccer Part II

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The men need more than just their own Christine Sinclair, though. Full strategic overhaul. We should know in a year or two if they've made any headway on that front.

I got high hopes for John Herdman! One thing you could count on when he was with the women's national team is that they would always be prepared, and that will be key for the Mens

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Seen enough of Ricketts and Osorio at TFC games over the last year or so, would really like to see how they do internationally.

Maybe Qatar 2022.

Oso is really coming into his own recently. I honestly think the boys will be there in 2022. The pipeline of players is looking stronger than ever and Davies at 21 in 4 years sounds like a nicely developed player to me

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I pull for Canada for the same reason I pull for countries like Jamaica and T&T: their fans aren't total garbage who bombard our players with cups of urine, bags of crap and batteries (among other things). I've been at qualifiers involving those last two where a lot of their fans showed up and there were absolutely zero problems at both.

Reactions: Tuggy

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I pull for Canada for the same reason I pull for countries like Jamaica and T&T: their fans aren't total garbage who bombard our players with cups of urine, bags of crap and batteries (among other things). I've been at qualifiers involving those last two where a lot of their fans showed up and there were absolutely zero problems at both.

I mean the stuff you are describing is usually done my the minority of fans and really is not that common

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I mean the stuff you are describing is usually done my the minority of fans and really is not that common
At the 2009 Gold Cup final against Mexico at Giants Stadium our supporters section was bombarded with everything you can possibly think of nonstop for the whole match, then they were ambushed and attacked in the parking lot. Other matches against certain opponents have had similar problems (at the last Gold Cup in Philly I was at ES fans pelted our goalie with a avalanche of beer and some attacked our supporters). Should also have mentioned the Ticos before as they caused zero incidents at RBA at that WCQ debacle.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There are always going to be these altercations. They should not define a supporters group though as for every bad incident there are often many more good ones that don't necessarily become a story.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
What if Canada had qualified for the World Cup? The 23-man squad that could have been

Interesting article on how the team could have lined up had we made it.
Goalkeeping has been an issue for a long, long time. Borjan is decent but should be a 2 or 3 option...we have not developed anything close to a top keeper. Not since Craig Forrest.

There is certainly promise across the rest of the team, especially in our attacking midfield options. There is a promising RB in the Lyon system...Zachary Brault-Guillard. Hope he can be the one for 2022

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There is certainly promise across the rest of the team, especially in our attacking midfield options. There is a promising RB in the Lyon system...Zachary Brault-Guillard. Hope he can be the one for 2022

There is honestly a lot in the pipeline. Also Hoillet is coming off of an amazing year with Cardiff, so hopefully with the mix of decent vets and young talent the team will qualify. If they don't I will be very disappointed in the program this time around.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Another CPL team announced yesterday with unveiling of Forge FC in Hamilton. I got on the list for season tickets. Any other Canadians grabbing seats to the new teams?

Reactions: sabremike

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Just reading up on it now, I see there's going to be a team just north of Toronto.....any chance Toronto gets a second one, or would that make things too crowded with TFC already in the mix?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just reading up on it now, I see there's going to be a team just north of Toronto.....any chance Toronto gets a second one, or would that make things too crowded with TFC already in the mix?

I think it is just York 9 coming in the first wave of teams. This is a long term project and I assume Toronto will get another team on top of York eventually. The MLS is going to be a far better product on the field so I think the perception the CPL is trying to convey to people is that you can cheer for both TFC and your CPL team.

The new League should make the the Voyageurs Cup a lot more entertaining as well!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Also just announced that 6 0f 11 players on the pitch need to be Canadian during CPL games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad