Canadian Soccer Part II

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I wouldn't think so.....they've already gone through five coaches in the last ten years, and have gone nowhere under three years of Floro.

Something's gotta give, though, eventually, right? It has to. :laugh:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The draw in El Salvador was definitely the biggest blow.

Oh well. Another cycle, another failure. Life as a CANMNT fan :(

littleD

I never expected Canada to qualify for the World Cup, but ten matches against Mexico, USA, Costa Rica etc. would have been so much better than random friendlies Canada usually plays.

Especially the five games in Canada would have been great. Canada hasn't had a home friendly since September 2014 as far as I can tell.

Tlacuachman

Dec 23, 2010
Mexico
Welcome to Latin America. Someone in Honduras tried offering an "incentive" to El Salvador to beat or draw Canada. Wouldn't surprise me if something was arranged between Mexico and Honduras. :sarcasm:

Mmmmm..
11 years ago Guatemala had the chance to be 4th in the hex, last game they had to win and Mexico had to beat Trinidad.
The CONCACAF president (Jack Warner from Trinidad) had taken many bad decisions concerned to Mexico.
Mexico lost with Trinidad and Guatemala didn't qualify.
Now the CONCAVAF president is Canadian and... Didn't happened.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Mmmmm..
11 years ago Guatemala had the chance to be 4th in the hex, last game they had to win and Mexico had to beat Trinidad.
The CONCACAF president (Jack Warner from Trinidad) had taken many bad decisions concerned to Mexico.
Mexico lost with Trinidad and Guatemala didn't qualify.
Now the CONCAVAF president is Canadian and... Didn't happened.

Hey we scored two offside goals (one rather blatant).

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I wouldn't think so.....they've already gone through five coaches in the last ten years, and have gone nowhere under three years of Floro.

Something's gotta give, though, eventually, right? It has to. :laugh:

Maybe Floro isn't the right man for the job. I don't know. But who here honestly thinks a change in coach will make any significant difference?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Totera is about as legitimate as a source that there is in regards to Cansoc. Was also semi-confirmed by Blake Price of TSN.

If it happens, will be interesting to see if they place second teams in the MLS markets. All reports over the past year have indicated there is zero chance they would have a MLS affiliate (ie TFC II etc) so it would need to be a standalone franchise.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Not necessarily. I'm just stating a fact. Canada just doesn't have the talent to go any further. The problem lies at the grassroots level. A new coach of the MNT isn't going to make a difference.

Getting actual Canadians like Asmir Begovic and Jonathan De Guzman...capping them while they're young and eager, would help us field a competitive team.

Maybe a manager is not going to change anything, but it can't hurt. A big name who has lost some shine, like, but not necessarily Steve McLaren, Sven Gorin Erickson, Fabio Capello, etc.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Not necessarily. I'm just stating a fact. Canada just doesn't have the talent to go any further. The problem lies at the grassroots level. A new coach of the MNT isn't going to make a difference.

I agree with you to an extent. You look up and down the lineup and top talent is not there. The closest we do have to "elite" talent is a bonafide striker in Larin (in the MLS). However a good manager can make a world of difference in crucial games against other mediocre teams. Canada should have advanced into the Hex but stupid coaching tactics cost this team precious points in El Salvador.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Hiring a NT manager is so irrelevant to grassroots development I don't see why one matters in conjunction with the other...

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool have signed Academy striker Liam Miller (Canada U20) to a professional deal. Anyone know anything about him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad