Post-Game Talk: Canada vs. United States: Noon/Breakfast 21st Feb, 2014 - Right to Play for Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
kZnyvqg.jpg

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Sour grapes and I'm not talking about Don Cherry. ;)

I'm guessing those callers likely were Canadians that chose to cheer against their own country today for whatever reason.

Not only are they dealing with a loss, but also the shutout must be a double whammy bitter pill to swallow as it gave them nothing to celebrate.

Meanwhile from coast to coast those cheering on Canada must be proud and rejoicing while looking forward to the gold medal match ahead. What reason would they have for complaining about a shutout victory?

Can't believe I'm saying this... but Damien Cox is schooling this moron. Minutes after McCown says the play was pretty even, he agrees with Damien that Canada controlled the play 'decisively'. "I'd agree with that, Damien". What a liar. Toronto sports radio is awful.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
****in jeff o'neill calls out kessel saying he doesnt show up for big games. Uhh. What game were you watching? He was pretty much the only American that showed up to play today. The hate this guy gets is just unbelievable.

Can pretty much guess what his rant will be on the next leafs game day. Kessel could score a hat trick in the bronze medal game and he'd still rant about him

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Can't believe I'm saying this... but Damien Cox is schooling this moron. Minutes after McCown says the play was pretty even, he agrees with Damien that Canada controlled the play 'decisively'. "I'd agree with that, Damien". What a liar. Toronto sports radio is awful.

Canada dominated the US pretty good today, on the shot clock, the face-off dot and time of possession and scoring chances.

Bob McCown is American is he not, so he would be on the losing end of today's game?.

I thought Price was only seriously tested a few times and most of the other shots were long range perimeter shots and wide open without traffic. USA may have generated their most offense as a result of Kane faking a high stick to the face and drawing an imaginary penalty to get USA some offensive zone time.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Canada dominated the US pretty good today, on the shot clock, the face-off dot and time of possession and scoring chances.

Bob McCown is American is he not, so he would be on the losing end of today's game.

As far as I can tell he's just a hockey hater or, at best, hockey casual. I turned it off just as John Shannon and Cox started schooling him about the big ice. It's like listening to adults explaining math to a toddler.

Anyways, enough of that.

Ryan McDonagh looked really damn good out there, against the most talented group of forwards ever assembled. The Rags have a real gem in that kid, so glad the Habs moved him. Subban - McDonagh would have been terrifying.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Yeah but Price isn't one of those. I was just bringing up a time when he was playing internationally and rose to the occasion and didn't crack, thats all.

I understand that, I was a huge fan of his in that tournament. Pretty sure that's also the one with the marathon shootout against the US?

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Team Canada shutting out the Americans in this game on the road to gold had to be the best outcome anyone could have hoped for.

If its 1-0 or 5-0 nothing matters little in the big picture.

If anyone asked me before the game would I take a shutout win, I would have said Yes without hesitation and then thank you.

This was dominant, three of the best centres in the world were absolutely ferocious in their own end. I have never seen such intensity behind their own net. Canada's D has been able to walk the puck out of their end because of the support. Wasn't sure because of the weak opposition but the strong US forwards were no match Hopefully the Swedes remain passive and Henrik cracks then it's Globetrotter time.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This edition of Team Canada might not be flashy, but it is definitely the most dominant defensive team that our country has ever iced in an international tournament.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This edition of Team Canada might not be flashy, but it is definitely the most dominant defensive team that our country has ever iced in an international tournament.

for sure. we only gave up 3 goals. period. that says a lot.

i saw this - this was cute

1798383_10152206482490837_1365825515_n.jpg

Feb 24, 2004
Obviously Team Canada is much better than our Leafs, but it struck me how much Canada continued to pressure even late in the third period. There's a lesson in there someone for our buds.

Marr

Feb 18, 2014
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Obviously Team Canada is much better than our Leafs, but it struck me how much Canada continued to pressure even late in the third period. There's a lesson in there someone for our buds.

Well wouldn't it make sense to apply more pressure if it were a one goal game? They had no insurance goal so it's not like they could afford the US putting in any.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
for sure. we only gave up 3 goals. period. that says a lot.

i saw this - this was cute

1798383_10152206482490837_1365825515_n.jpg

:laugh:

Feel bad for team USA...but not bad enough to have wanted any different outcome than a W for Canada.

I didn't like the jerseys much when they were first unveiled but seeing them in action has warmed me up to them. These red jerseys are my favourite.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

agreed, 100%. but the fact that every game is a nail-biter is starting to take a toll on me :laugh:

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Well wouldn't it make sense to apply more pressure if it were a one goal game? They had no insurance goal so it's not like they could afford the US putting in any.

If you watch a lot of Leaf games you would know that laying back is a regular occurrence, one goal two (or more). The point is to keep applying the pressure that got you the lead.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sour grapes and I'm not talking about Don Cherry. ;)

I'm guessing those callers likely were Canadians that chose to cheer against their own country today for whatever reason.

Not only are they dealing with a loss, but also the shutout must be a double whammy bitter pill to swallow as it gave them nothing to celebrate.

Meanwhile from coast to coast those cheering on Canada must be proud and rejoicing while looking forward to the gold medal match ahead. What reason would they have for complaining about a shutout victory?

There's reason for Canadians to be upset about winning with a shut-out.

I'm sure there is.

Isn't there?

Last edited:

Marr

Feb 18, 2014
Niagara-on-the-Lake
If you watch a lot of Leaf games you would know that laying back is a regular occurrence, one goal two (or more). The point is to keep applying the pressure that got you the lead.

No I know that, but he/she seemed surprised that team Canada did it. I'd expect team Canada to do things that Leafs wouldn't do that would make sense. Also, I feel Leafs tend to lay back more with a two goal lead than a one goal lead.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
****in jeff o'neill calls out kessel saying he doesnt show up for big games. Uhh. What game were you watching? He was pretty much the only American that showed up to play today. The hate this guy gets is just unbelievable.
Is he on the radio or something? Why would anyone want to listen to Jeff O'Neill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad