Post-Game Talk: Canada vs. United States: Noon/Breakfast 21st Feb, 2014 - Right to Play for Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah, I hope the slow boat they're on gets to Sochi before Sunday! Can't keep winning with such few goals!

You only need 1 more goal then an opponent to win.. ;)

Canada has only given up 3 goals in 5 games and never more than 1 goal against in any game.

Norway and Latvia were able to score against Canada, something the USA was unable to.

If this strong defense continues then Canada will need to muster just 2 goals to beat Sweden.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Would like to thank Kessel and Jvr for saving all their goals against Price for next Saturday :)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Canada played defense very well and did a good job keeping the dangerous players on U.S relatively quiet. But I'm getting bored with all the cycling I'm seeing in Hockey nowadays(it's even worst on the big ice), Teams chipping it in, Facing the boards, Moving up and down them and it getting passed off as "domination".

Call me crazy like Hockey much better going end to end with passing and goals coming off the rush. Maybe I've been watching Leafs too much(no way), But the quality in these games just isn't there IMO.

Hopefully Kessel and JVR get the bronze cause I do worry about their travel schedule coming in the next few with our first game being less than a week away now, Hope they make it a worth while trip.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Canada played defense very well and did a good job keeping the dangerous players on U.S relatively quiet. But I'm getting bored with all the cycling I'm seeing in Hockey nowadays(it's even worst on the big ice), Teams chipping it in, Facing the boards, Moving up and down them and it getting passed off as "domination".

Call me crazy like Hockey much better going end to end with passing and goals coming off the rush. Maybe I've been watching Leafs too much(no way), But the quality in these games just isn't there IMO.

Hopefully Kessel and JVR get the bronze cause I do worry about their travel schedule coming in the next few with our first game being less than a week away now, Hope they make it a worth while trip.

This whole tournament has been a snooze fest. I would have rather been watching the Leafs play the past 2 weeks. The best game so far has been USA vs Russia.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
****in jeff o'neill calls out kessel saying he doesnt show up for big games. Uhh. What game were you watching? He was pretty much the only American that showed up to play today. The hate this guy gets is just unbelievable.

Funny considering you couldn't find him with a telescope for significant parts of his tenure as a Leaf.

ungentrified

Jan 18, 2013
This whole tournament has been a snooze fest. I would have rather been watching the Leafs play the past 2 weeks. The best game so far has been USA vs Russia.

Agreed. Today didn't seem to have that much energy, and the defense sapped whatever energy was present from the Americans outside of Kane and Kessel.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Agreed. Today didn't seem to have that much energy, and the defense sapped whatever energy was present from the Americans outside of Kane and Kessel.

I think part of the problem is that their "elite" players at this point: Kessel and Kane are more perimeter players by nature, while their "hustlers" and more power forwards: Kesler, JVR, Parise are not at the same level as ours are

Lets face the facts Kesler is not a 1C, not for Canada, not for Russia, Sweden, or even Czech. Pavelski / Backes are decent 2 - 3C's, but they dont really have legit top 6 centers like we do

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The best hockey game of the Olympics so far has been the Women's Gold Medal Game. That's because the teams HATE each other with a passion.

The Men's has been boring because the teams are either really bad, or the two teams are all buddy buddy.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
The best hockey game of the Olympics so far has been the Women's Gold Medal Game. That's because the teams HATE each other with a passion.

The Men's has been boring because the teams are either really bad, or the two teams are all buddy buddy.

What?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

The women played a competitive game against one another, not a mean one. Simply by virtue of the circumstances, the woman's game holds a lot more entertainment value. For the sake of my nerves, I'd rather watch my team defend a 1-0 lead than be down 2-0 with 3.5 minutes left in the third and hoping to God that some miracle happens.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
People calling into 590 to complain that Canada couldn't score and that they have no heart.
And Bob McCown saying it was a back and forth game.

What world am I living in.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Not sure what you don't get DD.

They are all buddies, no hate. Takes away from the game.

NHL Hockey > Olympic Hockey AINEC

Lol look at the players in the Olympics. They're not overly physical. Team Canada didn't bring Lucic. There wasn't really anyone there to stir the pot up in order for that kind of game to happen. Kunitz tried and got called for a penalty. It's a skilled game. Not a fight.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lol look at the players in the Olympics. They're not overly physical. Team Canada didn't bring Lucic. There wasn't really anyone there to stir the pot up in order for that kind of game to happen. Kunitz tried and got called for a penalty. It's a skilled game. Not a fight.

Okay, and the game today was boring. Kunitz wasn't trying to stir the pot, he was trying to get a puck.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
People calling into 590 to complain that Canada couldn't score and that they have no heart.

Team Canada shutting out the Americans in this game on the road to gold had to be the best outcome anyone could have hoped for.

If its 1-0 or 5-0 nothing matters little in the big picture.

If anyone asked me before the game would I take a shutout win, I would have said Yes without hesitation and then thank you.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I appreciate the little smart skilled plays these guys made ... In a game that was so tight defensively being able to make those types of plays under pressure with the speed the game was going at was incredible and necessary to get separation ... It's very easy to make a mistake or bad decision under those circumstances

I thought it was one of the best 1-0 games I've seen

Yes, it lack the physical intensity and emotion of a Stanley Cup playoff game, but the pace, skill, and smarts in this game showcased how elite these teams are

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm pretty sure Subban didn't play today. Has he even been on the ice at all this entire tournament?

Played like 8 minutes against Austria .. Last I recall he made a risky play that almost resulted in an Austrian chance to score .. He was never heard of again :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
did we find out what the bet between Gardiner and Rielly was yet? Heard before the game it would be revealed on twitter "shortly" but haven't seen anything

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Sour grapes and I'm not talking about Don Cherry. ;)

I'm guessing those callers likely were Canadians that chose to cheer against their own country today for whatever reason.

Not only are they dealing with a loss, but also the shutout must be a double whammy bitter pill to swallow as it gave them nothing to celebrate.

Meanwhile from coast to coast those cheering on Canada must be proud and rejoicing while looking forward to the gold medal match ahead. What reason would they have for complaining about a shutout victory?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Meawhile, others get to bask in quasi hating the Leafs under the guise of cheering for Canada. This is their moment more than the Gold medal game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad