Canada vs. Swiss - Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
5-0

Nicest goal so far, either game.

Powerplay, Crosby passed cross ice to Perry who was wide open, deep in the zone coming out from the side boards. As soon as he gets the puck everyone including the goalie committed to him so he passed it back door to Bergeron who tapped it in, uncontested.

chicpea*

PhoPhan said:
Who wants to explain the Crosby pass to Perry?

Crosby was coming down the left-wing 3/4 speed with 2 guys on him and a third threating. When he hit the hashmarks, and without turning his head, he rips a cross-ice laser back to blueline on the right side where Perry was coming at full tilt. He shot and just missed the far-side top corner. Otherwise, top ten goal of the year perhaps.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
SmokeyClause said:
What happened in the hit and what was the penalty?

Swiss guy loses the puck and Weber just smokes him into the boards, like previously stated, it was more of a hitting to hard penalty that is often called in this tournament. That Bergeron goal was pretty slick. Canada is beginning to take full control. :handclap:

chicpea*

SmokeyClause said:
What happened in the hit and what was the penalty?

Weber levelled Diaz [?] but he clearly left his feet. Hence, 2 minutes, charging. Woke up the crowd though and sent a message. Luckily, the penalty was nullified in the next 10 seconds. So no harm, no foul.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
The Swiss are very overmatched but I think they've looked good at times. They have a lot more grit than usual and Wick, Furer and Sprunger have stood out to me.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
PhoPhan said:
Who wants to explain the Crosby pass to Perry?

It's a bit tough but I'll try.

Crosby was streaking down the wing, ahead of his teammates. He had Bergeron a little behind and to the side of him, both Swiss defenceman were moving in on him and the first back checking forward was also trapping him and pretty much preventing Bergeron from getting a drop pass. At about this time Perry was probably between the red line and blue line, just getting caught up to the play, on the far side of the rink, way over close to the boards. Completely other side of the ice from where the play was happening. Somehow Crosby knows he is there and knows that he can't fire it, he kind of has to put some touch on it so that Perry can get to it in time, so without looking he dishes it all the way across the zone and about 15 feet behind him. It goes through all three Swiss players and is waiting at the top of the circle for a wide open Perry who caught up to it perfectly. Just a thing of beauty that you don't see from just anyone.

The anouncers were shocked that he even had that idea, nevermind pulled it off.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Canada took complete control in the latter half of the period. Getzlaf-Ladd-Carter line dominated the smaller swiss defense. Bergeron-Crosby-Perry looked pretty solid as well while Macarthur and Fraser were doing a phenomonal job killing penalties and grinding it out. The Richards-Stewart-Dawes line really looked out of place, Richards and Stewart in particular.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Don_Cherry said:
It's a bit tough but I'll try.

Crosby was streaking down the wing, ahead of his teammates. He had Bergeron a little behind and to the side of him, both Swiss defenceman were moving in on him and the first back checking forward was also trapping him and pretty much preventing Bergeron from getting a drop pass. At about this time Perry was probably between the red line and blue line, just getting caught up to the play, on the far side of the rink, way over close to the boards. Completely other side of the ice from where the play was happening. Somehow Crosby knows he is there and knows that he can't fire it, he kind of has to put some touch on it so that Perry can get to it in time, so without looking he dishes it all the way across the zone and about 15 feet behind him. It goes through all three Swiss players and is waiting at the top of the circle for a wide open Perry who caught up to it perfectly. Just a thing of beauty that you don't see from just anyone.

The anouncers were shocked that he even had that idea, nevermind pulled it off.

That Crosby sure has a lot of the TOP END OFFENSIVE skills that Kyle Wellwood has ..

Those are the same things you read in th game summaries of St. Johns Games .

Avery4Byng*

Zzzzzz After 1 period I turned it to the Bulldogs/Roadrunners game...... I am pretty much ready for Christmas Day when the real tourney starts......

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Ladd seems to be struggling out there considerably... missing a virtual tap in although he has been throwing his weight around which is encouraging. Meanwhile, Clarke Macarthur continues to impress me. Killing penalties and throwing checks in an energy role.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
The Messenger said:
That Crosby sure has a lot of the TOP END OFFENSIVE skills that Kyle Wellwood has ..

Those are the same things you read in th game summaries of St. Johns Games .

LOL... Crosby is in another offensive category that Wellwood will never reach

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
markov` said:
Crosby is miles ahead of Wellwood.

Crosby is still young and he still has the ability to get better so eventually he will close the gap between himself and Wellwood skills.

Take my word on that .

Too early to call Wellwood the clear winner ..

TSN had the TOP TEN best WJC goals of all time, from all teams every and Wellwood's goal in the WJC a couple of years ago was the BEST WJC SCORED ever according to TSN ..

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The Messenger said:
Crosby is still young and he still has the ability to get better so eventually he will close the gap between himself and Wellwood skills.

Take my word on that .

Too early to call Wellwood the clear winner ..

TSN had the TOP TEN best WJC goals of all time, from all teams every and Wellwood's goal in the WJC a couple of years ago was the BEST WJC SCORED ever according to TSN ..

:joker: oh boy....Wellwood is the next one!

chicpea*

I know it was just exhibition, but what a horsesh*t game by Canada. Sloppy plays in all ends, dumb passes, bad line changes, too many missed chances. Ladd sucked and they didn't get a shot on a 45 second 5 on 3 pp. Perry had three assists but he made some bonehead moves too. Crosby was phenomenal again, as was Carter - Getzlaf wasn't too shabby either. Did I mention Ladd? McArthur was maybe the best all-round player tonight. While the D-men mostly were invisible - which is fine by me (though Weber did stand out). And what is wrong with Dawes? It's like he has no confidence. I'm screwed in one pool if he doesn't turn it on. yikes. At least he was creating chances, so it'll come in time.

What did you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad