Canada vs. Swiss - Dec. 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris

Jan 12, 2003
Calgary via Halifax
How would McCarthur look in place of Ladd on the Getzlaf-Carter line? McCarthur has looked a lot better than Ladd in both games, could fill an offensive role...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
kris said:
How would McCarthur look in place of Ladd on the Getzlaf-Carter line? McCarthur has looked a lot better than Ladd in both games, could fill an offensive role...
I would maybe try Colliton with Getzlaf and Carter, if he gets healthy. Alternate him and Perry between the top unit and that unit.

YellHockey*

BuppY said:
Wellwood is a magician with the puck but Crosby has the total package.

Yeah but the magician Wellwood is like is George Oscar Bluth while Crosby is more like a David Copperfield or David Blaine.

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Swiss Stand-Outs
The Good
Roman Wick - Very strong on the puck, solid along the boards
Leonardo Genonini(?) - I thought he made some pretty nice saves in the 1st period and he was solid for a 17 years old.

The Bad
Julien Sprunger - Maybe I had too big expectations on Sprunger but I thought he had a weak and inaccurate shot and that he didn't have excellent foot speed and didn't use his body as I thought he would.

Canada Stand-Outs
The Good
Sidney Crosby - This kid doesn't only have all the skills in the world, he is very intense and has a physical edge to his game.
Jeff Carter - Nice acceleration and he uses his body to his advantage.
Clark MacArthur - I thought he was only a grinder but the guy has a nice set of hands.

The Bad
Andrew Ladd - Not intense at all, did not hit and made some very bad decisions.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I was watching the Swiss players most of the time, it must suck being one of the 16 or so players that you never saw their name on the back of their jersey or ever did anything.

3 guys stood out from what I saw, Wick, Stancescu and Furrer.

Wick was played a lot, he had good stickhandling and was good on the forecheck. In one instance where he was pinned against the boards by Phaneuf, he handled himself really well and broke free, really good strength.
Furrer was a defenseman who also played a lot, he was a lot smarter on the ice than his teammates, being able to contain the Canadian forwards better and he showed some offensive instincts as well.
Their captain Stancescu was probably their best player, almost every chance created by the Swiss originated from him. He really looked different than everyone else, being able to compete against the Canadians and being smart on both ends of the ice.

chicpea*

BlackRedGold said:
Yeah but the magician Wellwood is like is George Oscar Bluth while Crosby is more like a David Copperfield or David Blaine.

Beauty. :lol

chicpea*

littleHossa said:
I was watching the Swiss players most of the time, it must suck being one of the 16 or so players that you never saw their name on the back of their jersey or ever did anything.

I was really impressed by that Furrer fellow as well. And the young goalie, he had a great game.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
For anyone interested..Official game summary found here:

juniorex.leaguestat.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=12

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Sprunger didn't look good? Damn, I wish he would. Stat was, been following him and I've been disappointed. Suppose to be one of the better Swiss forwards to come out of Switzerland, and I was hoping. Has the size, but...maybe he should come over like Khudobin for the AHL to get a better read and evaluation.

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
Just watching the re-run on NHL Network now

-Crosby has made me cream my jeans at least 3 times so far
-Holy crap Weber just crushed some poor Swissman

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
littleHossa said:

Wick was played a lot, he had good stickhandling and was good on the forecheck. In one instance where he was pinned against the boards by Phaneuf, he handled himself really well and broke free, really good strength.
Furrer was a defenseman who also played a lot, he was a lot smarter on the ice than his teammates, being able to contain the Canadian forwards better and he showed some offensive instincts as well.
Their captain Stancescu was probably their best player, almost every chance created by the Swiss originated from him. He really looked different than everyone else, being able to compete against the Canadians and being smart on both ends of the ice.

Do the Swiss have two guys named Beaver and Taser???

If they do, cool, I like them more already! :yo:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
HabLover said:

They also had a goalie named Leonardo and a defenceman named Rafeal. I was waiting for Master Splinter to come off the bench.

chicpea*

Don_Cherry said:
They also had a goalie named Leonardo and a defenceman named Rafeal. I was waiting for Master Splinter to come off the bench.

Get your mind outta the sewers!

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
GoM said:
Just watching the re-run on NHL Network now

-Crosby has made me cream my jeans at least 3 times so far
-Holy crap Weber just crushed some poor Swissman

Rightttttttttt.........................slowing moving farther and farther away......................... :help:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Some of my thoughts-I saw first 2 periods.
Yes Canada was a bit sloppy but also had some good moments.The swiss had one
good line that could hold there own.They also had 2 defencemen that were 5 times
better than the rest of there defencemen.#7is that furrer?They played those guys against Canada's 1 and 2 lines so they got alot of icetime.Carters line looked
good but the defencemen did let them walk right in plus they(swiss) were very poor at handling the puck in there own end.Regardless Carter has alot of finesse
for a big guy and he should be a leader for Canada.

Phaneuf had a better game than on Monday,wow what a shot.Dixon played better
as well and the 4th line seems solid for Canada.
As for Crosby and Bergeron they didn't gel as well with Perry although they played
a good game.Perry has awesome instincts around the net but his play in the neutral
zone was really quite awkward.He sometimes even got into his linemates way and
was tripping over them.

What about that play where crosby passed behind the defender to himself and then
hit the post.that was fun to watch.

I didn't see the third period so could someone update me.Did it just look like they
didn't want to run up the score?Did they play the 4th line more and try and keep
the shutout?
n

Crossroads*

HabLover said:

:lol: and I believe they had a guy with the name 'Carguy' - I'm sure it isn't spelled like that though :P

mooseOAK*

What bothers me is that Canada isn't going to play a competitive team until the medal round. I hope that they can be ready for Russia or the US when they do after cleaning up on patsies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Crosby is still young and he still has the ability to get better so eventually he will close the gap between himself and Wellwood skills.

Take my word on that .

Too early to call Wellwood the clear winner ..

TSN had the TOP TEN best WJC goals of all time, from all teams every and Wellwood's goal in the WJC a couple of years ago was the BEST WJC SCORED ever according to TSN ..
He's right. Scouts have been drooling over Wellwood and have now resorted to calling Crosby a "poor man's Wellwood".

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
- Canada played terribly. So many mental mistakes that they won't be able to make against Russia without paying the price.

- The Swiss goalie looked okay. I mean, he was getting shelled, but he needs to pick a style and stick with it. He had a good butterfly technique, but he also looked a little too 'hasek' at times.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
HF2002 said:
He's right. Scouts have been drooling over Wellwood and have now resorted to calling Crosby a "poor man's Wellwood".

When they were calling Sid "The Next One" I naturally assumed they meant "The next Wellwood".

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Douggy said:
- Canada played terribly. So many mental mistakes that they won't be able to make against Russia without paying the price.

- The Swiss goalie looked okay. I mean, he was getting shelled, but he needs to pick a style and stick with it. He had a good butterfly technique, but he also looked a little too 'hasek' at times.

Sorry a little too "6 vezina" hasek? how is that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad