Canada Summer Development Camp Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

db23

Patrick - Flames Fan said:
And the Flames have guys like Simon that will pound people if other teams enforcers try and make Dion drop the gloves for hits on their star players. It works both ways.
Nope. If Phaneuf runs people to hurt them, there will be nowhere to hide. His career in the WHL has been very similar to Barrett Jackman from a few years back. If anything, Jackman is a lot tougher than Phaneuf. But Jackman spends more time in the infirmary than on the ice as an NHL player.

Last edited by a moderator:

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
db23 said:
Nope. If Phaneuf runs people to hurt them, there will be nowhere to hide. His career in the WHL has been very similar to Barrett Jackman from a few years back. If anything, Jackman is a lot tougher than Phaneuf. But Jackman spends more time in the infirmary than on the ice as an NHL player.

Did Jackman get hurt in a fight? You're original arguement was that Phaneuf wouldn't last in the league because he lost a fight to underrated Colin Fraser, and that he would need to fight better than that because he would need to back up his hit. I don't see what your point is. You feel Phaneuf is not a good fighter, so Jackman's injury problems in his second year, totally unrelated to fight, means Phaneuf will never make it in the NHL. Really making sense here, aren't you?

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
db23 said:

And yet look at Scott Stevens. He hurts guys but is rarely himself injured (except this year) and rarely drops the gloves.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
icarus said:
And yet look at Scott Stevens. He hurts guys but is rarely himself injured (except this year) and rarely drops the gloves.
Scott used to drop them alot in his younger days. Guys basically knew not to mess with him :p:

db23

icarus said:
Stevens fought constantly when he was younger. He was also an exceptional talent. I think he was already an NHL All star at the age that Phaneuf is now. Stevens as you know him now is just from the last 4 or 5 years. When you're 40 and have been in the NHL over 20 seasons you get a little extra room.

db23

paxtang said:
Did Jackman get hurt in a fight? You're original arguement was that Phaneuf wouldn't last in the league because he lost a fight to underrated Colin Fraser, and that he would need to fight better than that because he would need to back up his hit. I don't see what your point is. You feel Phaneuf is not a good fighter, so Jackman's injury problems in his second year, totally unrelated to fight, means Phaneuf will never make it in the NHL. Really making sense here, aren't you?
My ORIGINAL statement was simply that Phaneuf will have to deal with a reckoning if he runs smaller skill players with the intent to injure. He has a history of doing it. He does not appear to be a very effective fighter. If he avoids the goons, or turtles, then players will just run him into the end boards until his body or his brain can't take it any longer. That is very much what happened to Volchenkov and Jackman once they had been around the league a time or two. Once they show more respect for their fellow workers out there, they will get more themselves.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
db23 said:
Stevens fought constantly when he was younger. He was also an exceptional talent. I think he was already an NHL All star at the age that Phaneuf is now. Stevens as you know him now is just from the last 4 or 5 years. When you're 40 and have been in the NHL over 20 seasons you get a little extra room.

The game was also completely different when he was younger. The later-era Stevens (less offensive, but more physically intimidating) is a lot more akin to Phaneuf. Obviously Phaneuf will not get the same kind of automatic respect that Stevens does, but regardless the Stevens-style game from recent years should be somewhat similar to the game Dion will play and so this comparison is as valid as any.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
What is hilarious about all this Phaneuf can't fight but can hit stuff is that he hits alot like Rob Blake does, he does it mean, he does it big and he does it legal.

Rob Blake can't fight, but he can lower the boom with a big hit at any given moment.

And Phaneuf handled himself very well in the fight anyways.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
paxtang said:
Phaneuf fought 10 times last year. I'd expect him to more or less average those kind of numbers in the pros (maybe a little less because he is a D man), which is more than enough for a non enforcer. He'll be fine.
Agreed, the guy will fight when he has too, but that isn't and shouldnt be a big part of his game.

db23

I didn't see the thing with Crosby in camp, but I have seen the hits that Phaneuf put Pouliot and Olesz out with, and seen him take big runs at other players. It is a very fine line, for a young player in particular, to go looking for the spectacular open ice hit. The guys who do it in the NHL play a hell of a price.

NewHabsEra*

Phaneuf is just amazing, he is easily the second best prospect in the word after Lehtonen!

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
MrMastodonFarm said:
Agreed, the guy will fight when he has too, but that isn't and shouldnt be a big part of his game.

Well, he's rounding out nicely into the mould of a #1 defensemen.

There aren't too many of those dropping the gloves on a nightly basis, and certainly aren't being asked to, likey being discourage to.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Phaneuf is the real deal. I've watched him for three years and he just keeps getting better and better. This kid played fifteen minutes in his first NHL exhibition game last year against the Oilers and looked like a veteran. Could have likely made the Flamers last year but they have wisely taken a cautious approach with his development.

He looked so confident at the Canadian Junior camp. Tough physical two way game, leadership, and some borderline, chippy meanness. Easily the best defenseman in camp. If Phaneuf plays on this team at the Worlds get used to calling him 'captain.'

Sammy*

Aaron Vickers said:
Well, he's rounding out nicely into the mould of a #1 defensemen.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves, arnt we? He's miles away from that right now.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
sharkyz15 said:

To each their own. Malkin and AO haven't shown that they can do their magic playing NA hockey. At least Dion has shown he can do his stuff in NA and not overseas.

Also, both AO, Malkin and Dion appear from what they have done to be great players. To me I would take a potential all star defenseman over an allstar forward as they are harder to come by.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
To anybody who watched the camp think Chipchura has a shot at making it, I know there is plenty of more skilled players there but there not going to make 4 lines of all skilled players, so how does chipchura look for making one of the checking lines, i guess he hasn't been stand-out but solid all-round and apparently scored a couple nice goals one on the Penalty Kill. Think he can make it 3/4 line?

db23

The summer development camp is just to give the coaching staff an idea of what they have on hand. The holdovers have spots unless they are unable to play or really stink between now and December. The openings will be filled around them according to the plan of the coaches as to each line and the overall makeup of the team. I think they would pencil two players for each slot and if the first choice is not available or goes into a big slump then they would take the alternative.

I think that Chipchura's chance are good because he is already a good defensive forward and faceoff artist, so they don't have to take an offensive forward and try to get him to play defence. Also he is one of only 3 1986 born forwards, and I'm sure they would like to have a couple coming back next season. But the season will tell the story as to the final makeup of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad