Canada Summer Development Camp Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

West19

Jul 19, 2004
Great to hear that Clarke Macarthur is doing well, but with a team loaded with offensive talent, does he have a realistic shot in making the final roster?

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Morrison_Rulz said:
Is there any chance of Marc-Andre Bernier making the team? How does he compare with the rest? Any info would be appreciated.

I didn't even notice him once. According to the roster sheet, he was playing on the fourth line.

TomahawkSniper

Aug 19, 2004
Vancouver
icarus said:
I didn't even notice him once. According to the roster sheet, he was playing on the fourth line.
Obviously he won't make it I guess. His skating is too much of a weakness. Another year without a nuck prospect on Canada's roster. :shakehead

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
Morrison_Rulz said:
Is there any chance of Marc-Andre Bernier making the team? How does he compare with the rest? Any info would be appreciated.

Not without a heart transplant

NewHabsEra*

moosefan said:
:lol: you got that right, IMO he is not the 2nd best, I would rank Oveckin or Malkin ahead of him.

I did'nt take the last draft in consideration, neither Crosby, my bad...

One think is sure, Phaneuf is the best denfenseman prospect of the world over Suter and Baker..

X-SHARKIE

Patrick - Flames Fan said:
To each their own. Malkin and AO haven't shown that they can do their magic playing NA hockey. At least Dion has shown he can do his stuff in NA and not overseas.

Also, both AO, Malkin and Dion appear from what they have done to be great players. To me I would take a potential all star defenseman over an allstar forward as they are harder to come by.

:lol: :lol: Ovechkin played internationally on Russias senior team...not to mention he played the past two years in one of the top 5 leagues in the world.... Same with Malkin.

That's like me saying Michalek is the best prospect 2nd to Lehtonen because he scored a goal his first game....How many prospects do that?
HOMER .

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
db23 said:
I didn't see the thing with Crosby in camp, but I have seen the hits that Phaneuf put Pouliot and Olesz out with, and seen him take big runs at other players. It is a very fine line, for a young player in particular, to go looking for the spectacular open ice hit. The guys who do it in the NHL play a hell of a price.

BS. Gauthier is a borderline dirty open ice hitter who is terrible at fighting and currently wears a faceshield. He hasn't had to "pay a hell of a price." Where are you coming up with this BS? Phaneuf will be able to handle himself a lot better than Gauthier or Marchment do. And as for Jackman vs Phaneuf, you don't seem to be considering that Phaneuf is bigger.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Flames Draft Watcher said:
BS. Gauthier is a borderline dirty open ice hitter who is terrible at fighting and currently wears a faceshield. He hasn't had to "pay a hell of a price." Where are you coming up with this BS? Phaneuf will be able to handle himself a lot better than Gauthier or Marchment do. And as for Jackman vs Phaneuf, you don't seem to be considering that Phaneuf is bigger.
If you think Phaneuf will be half the fighter Marchment was you're wrong.

Sammy*

Flames Draft Watcher said:
Based on what I have seen Marchment do & what I have heard about Phaneufs fighting ability (& it aint bad),you either severely underrate Marcments fighting ability or are severely overrating Phaneufs fighting ability.

Jovo Cop

Who cares about Dions fighting ability ..he wasnt drafted to be the next Cocaine Kid Probie .
As a guy who has witnessed Phaneuf play several times ..he can handle himself ...its not like hes a total marshmallow ..dont worry Dion will be fine .

Sammy*

Jovo Cop said:
Who cares about Dions fighting ability ..he wasnt drafted to be the next Cocaine Kid Probie .
Well then his fans shouldnt be out making that he is such a great fighter.

Jovo Cop

blah blah blah ..nyah ,nyah ,nyah my Dad can beat up your Mom ..who cares ..i think the Dion fans were merely pointing out he can hold his own if it comes down to it ..i dont recall seeing ONE post where someone said hes the toughest guy to ever lace up skates .

Sammy*

Jovo Cop said:
blah blah blah ..nyah ,nyah ,nyah my Dad can beat up your Mom ..who cares ..i think the Dion fans were merely pointing out he can hold his own if it comes down to it ..i dont recall seeing ONE post where someone said hes the toughest guy to ever lace up skates .
Blah, blah, blah. Then dont go around saying he is way tougher than tough guys like Marchment.
Figure it out Bud, being a tough guy is an attribute like anything else, if it wasnt you wouldnt have Dion fans goin on about how tough he is.

Jovo Cop

I think they are saying that his does have that "attribute" ..and how do you know he isnt as tough as Marchemnet .And when did Bryan marchment become the standard bearer of toughness ..did i miss something ..and HOW the HELL have you dragged me into a argument about Bryan marchments toughness level ??? :)

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Jovo Cop said:
As a guy who has witnessed Phaneuf play several times ..he can handle himself ...its not like hes a total marshmallow ..dont worry Dion will be fine .

I agree with you who cares about his fighting ability.......even though.......he can demolish people in fights. I have seen him play plenty of times over the last cple years and the kid can more then hold his own. Also for anyone to put him in the same class as marchment in any way shape or form is a joke. Phaneuf is going to be an All Star year in year out....and has the ability of absolutely killing people with his bodychecking skills.

Sammy*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I agree with you who cares about his fighting ability.......even though.......he can demolish people in fights. I have seen him play plenty of times over the last cple years and the kid can more then hold his own. Also for anyone to put him in the same class as marchment in any way shape or form is a joke. Phaneuf is going to be an All Star year in year out....and has the ability of absolutely killing people with his bodychecking skills.
Settle down there, sonny. While he may turn out to be a very good NHL'r, beating up or crushing juniors with bodychecks, alot of whom are alot younger & smaller,is a whole different kettle of fish than doing the same to grown men, alot of whom are just as talented, big , strong & mean.
BTW, you should maybe take a peek at Marcments rep coming out of junior, who was thought of to be just as tough as Phaneuf is now, actually proved to be a pretty tough guy, & who was picked only marginally later.

db23

Denis Gauthier is probably the best comparison for Phaneuf. A big hitter in junior who also had pretty good offensive numbers. They are about the same size. Gauthier had a dominating WJC, laid a few big hits, was named to the All Star team, etc. Turned pro at 19.

If you want to see Phaneuf in 10 years, I think you just need to look at Gauthier. He is certainly a decent defenceman, but never an All Star, and his physical style has caused him to miss a lot of time on the injury list over the years.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
db23 said:
Denis Gauthier is probably the best comparison for Phaneuf. A big hitter in junior who also had pretty good offensive numbers. They are about the same size. Gauthier had a dominating WJC, laid a few big hits, was named to the All Star team, etc. Turned pro at 19.

If you want to see Phaneuf in 10 years, I think you just need to look at Gauthier. He is certainly a decent defenceman, but never an All Star, and his physical style has caused him to miss a lot of time on the injury list over the years.

Phaneuf is better than Gauthier is RIGHT NOW.

Seriously you must just be looking at the stats (as per usual with you). If you had actually seen a significant amount of these players you'd know the comparison is a joke.

Gawd you underrate Phaneuf if you think his upside is a 5th defenseman (Gauthier.) Phaneuf has a better upside than Regehr or Leopold.

Is this supposed to be a joke? Or is it just you that is the joke?

db23

All of the same things that are being said about Phaneuf now were said about Guathier 8 years ago in the season agfter he was drafted. Gauthier was much more dominating in junior that year than Phaneuf was this past season. Denis won the top CHL Defenceman award, scored about a point and half per game, dominated at the WJC, etc., etc. If you're a Calgary fan you should remember that.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
db23 said:
All of the same things that are being said about Phaneuf now were said about Guathier 8 years ago in the season agfter he was drafted. Gauthier was much more dominating in junior that year than Phaneuf was this past season. Denis won the top CHL Defenceman award, scored about a point and half per game, dominated at the WJC, etc., etc. If you're a Calgary fan you should remember that.

Gauthier was never named the 2nd best propsect outside the NHL (Phaneuf was last spring in The Hockey News.)

Once again you're focussing on accomplishments. It's obvious from your comments you really are quite uninformed about these players as anybody who's watched a fair amount of Phaneuf and Gauthier would know that the comparison is a joke.

Seriously, don't talk to us about players you obviously haven't seen much of. You're embarassing yourself.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Is Dion Phaneuf the single most over-rated prospect in the world right now? Yup, he certainly is, only remotely contested by Zach Parise.

But does that mean he's destined to be a dirty player who does nothing in the NHL but get beat up? Certainly not, db23.

It drives me mental how much Flames fans hype this guy up to be the next Scott Stevens, or Chris Pronger, or whichever ludicrous comparison is the flavour of the week with Phaneuf.

However, most of them, other than the extremists, are right in this debate. I'm not certain where you're getting your information, db23, but for somebody who relies on statistics so much, maybe you should go back and watch each and every one of those fights, tally up the numbers, and then analyze them like you love to do so much. Every single legitimate and respectable publication that I have seen has indicated that Phaneuf is both a fearsome hitter AND fighter. Nobody is saying he's going to beat up Peter Worrell, but I have seen absolutely NOTHING in legitimate publications to indicate that Phaneuf is the WHL punching bag like you seem set out to make him seem like.

You try to compare him to Barrett Jackman and Anton Volchenkov? I think the Jackman comparison is very good actually, but your analysis of Jackman is way off. Since when does Jackman go out of his way to hurt people? Do you even watch hockey or just read the box scores? In his rookie season Jackman fought TEN times. Ten. That is a LOT of fights for a defenceman that was being relied on to play big minutes as a ROOKIE. He wasn't taking anybody to the cleaners really, but he held his own from my understanding in all of those fights. Here's a quotation from one of his fights:

"Comments: Starts off with a scrum involving just about everyone on the ice, and Jackman and Grand-Pierre hook up and start to go. Couple quick rights by Jackman, couple by Grand-Pierre and then - POP - one to the right cheek by Jackman and that one stung. Grand-Pierre grimaces and turns his head away trying to shake off the sting. Jackman then calls in the linesmen as he realizes GP is done. Other Penalties: Scott Mellanby and Tyler Wright each received a double roughing. "

Furthermore, unlike what you said, Jackman has not spent MORE than half his time in the NHL at the infirmary. In fact, he played ALL 82 games in his rookie season, then had a shoulder injury (which he tried to come back early from mistakenly), which made him miss 67 games this season I believe. 98 is more than half of 164.

And what's with these accusations about Phaneuf "going after" smaller players? I'm not certain if you've paid much attention to the NHL, but the REASON small players typically aren't successful in teh NHL is because they get manhandled by defencemen. What is Phaneuf supposed to do if a small guy skates across the blueline? Let him go past and score? I have seen NOTHING to indicate that Phaneuf "targets" or "goes after" only small players. Phaneuf hits anyone that comes in to his zone, hits them hard, and hits them clean. The hit on Olesz was ENTIRELY a clean check by NHL standards. 100%. He CERTAINLY did NOT 'run' at Olesz. Rusty clearly skated across the blueline head down, Phaneuf stopped skating backwards, two one and a half strides, and Phaneuf popped him. What do you expect of a defenceman? To let a guy walk into the zone, head down, stick handle for a bit, then take a shot? What exactly is the job of a defenceman? To hand him a cup of tea as he enters the zone? I don't get it.

And your lovely comparisons to other defenceman. Gauthier (you are right, Gauthier was super hyped yes, but just because one guy doesn't live up to expectations doesn't mean EVERY prospect won't), Volchenkov (that whole thing just didn't make any sense so I'm not going to waste anybody's time by going over that), etc. There are DOZENS, maybe even hundreds, of very physical defenceman who don't get hurt often. Furthermore, guys that you picked who basically have had one, maybe two, injury ridden seasons. And by injury ridden seasons you basically mean sustained one bad injury. Just because you're physical doesn't mean you have to goon it up. Rob Blake is a one of the best hitters in the NHL and has ten fights over the past six years. Chris Pronger .... 10 fights in five/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad