Canada Summer Development Camp Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak47

May 21, 2004
was there for Saturday's practices - Phaneuf was the best player on the ice in one session (unbelievable skating and lateral movement), with Getzlaf and Richards not far behind.
In the second session, the line of Crosby, Perry and Wolski looked a step ahead of everyone else. The real surprise in this session was Travis Zajac. For a guy that played Jr. A last year, he didn't look out of place and his skill level is on par or better than most of the guys in this camp.
Intrasquad game tonight....

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
JasonMacIsaac said:
Who was Zajac playing with and does he have a shot at the team.

If he did not have a shot then he would not be there. He went in the 1st round for a reason.

Anyone at this camp would have to have a pretty mediocre season to not get an invite to the december camp.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
RyanM said:
If he did not have a shot then he would not be there. He went in the 1st round for a reason.

Anyone at this camp would have to have a pretty mediocre season to not get an invite to the december camp.
You do know most of the team is returning from last year and with no NHL on the rise others will be considered a lock to make it.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
JasonMacIsaac said:
You do know most of the team is returning from last year and with no NHL on the rise others will be considered a lock to make it.

I didn't say he WAS going to make it, I said he has a shot which is what you asked.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I am finding out some info....here are the lines that both white and red teams have are useing.

WHITE:
MACARTHUR - RICHARDS - FEHR
STONE - BERNIER - GETZLAF
DAWES - BOLLAND - PICARD
CHIPCHURA - COLLITON - STEWART

SYVRET - SEABROOK
PHANEUF - PICARD
STEPHANSON - BARKER
ROGERS - FISTRIC

SHANTZ
BEAUCHEMIN

RED:
LADD - CARTER - S BERNIER
WOLSKI - CROSBY - PERRY
ROUSSIN - ZAJAC - DIXON
MEYER - FRASER - CROMBEEN

SCHULTZ - BELLE
SAUNDERS - COLBURN
COULOMBE - WEBER
O'NEILL - GREEN

MUNCE
DUBNYK

Omniscient Gadfly

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
random impressions of the team red...

zajac.
i hold the status quo in saying zajac looks good out there. his hands are great in tight, and he's skating with a lot of poise. certainly doesn't look tier 2 junior calibre, and its easy to understand why he put up the points he did.

crosby.
im on the bandwagon. my first time seeing him live this week. adding to his hype will just make this post redundant. that said, what is impressing me the most is his speed and agility. not straigtht away speed, but when he has the puck he absolutely flys. and he's always looking to be creative. he was held in pretty good check last nite at the scrimmage; but that probably speaks volumes for the quality of defencemen the roster currently has. of note, the benches are pretty subdued. but when crosby hits the ice, all eyes are focused on him. he's got the respect & admiration of his teammates.

dixon.
very impressed with his scoring ability. really shifty in the slot area, and has displayed a knack for burying his chances in practice. his skating stride strikes me as a little awkward - not pure - but he's very efficient. a pleasant suprise. has drawn repeated 'gasps' from the crowd for his moxy.

phaneuf.
as advertised. looks incredibly poised. he's playing/practicing with a lot of confidence and it shows. what else to say?

wolski.
certainly looks to play the part of the sniper. repeatedly picks his spots, even when it looks like the angle is covered. that said, his approach is sort of indifferent. sometimes it just looks like he isn't performing to his best ability, then minutes later, he's shows some flash.

that's all i got time for right now. got to say. if you're in calgary, go see some ice times. we are really lucky to have the calibre of players on display right now. crowds are suprisingly sparse.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Omniscient Gadfly said:
wolski.
certainly looks to play the part of the sniper. repeatedly picks his spots, even when it looks like the angle is covered. that said, his approach is sort of indifferent. sometimes it just looks like he isn't performing to his best ability, then minutes later, he's shows some flash.

You just summed up Wolski in a nutshell.

That's why he fell in the draft.

He just doesn't appear to have the urge to give it all on every play. One period, he'll flat out dominate, come out flying. The next period, he'll be invisible, coasting along like a ball of hay in an open field.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
I am finding out some info....here are the lines that both white and red teams have are useing.

WHITE:
MACARTHUR - RICHARDS - FEHR
STONE - BERNIER - GETZLAF
DAWES - BOLLAND - PICARD
CHIPCHURA - COLLITON - STEWART

SYVRET - SEABROOK
PHANEUF - PICARD
STEPHANSON - BARKER
ROGERS - FISTRIC

SHANTZ
BEAUCHEMIN

RED:
WOLSKI - CROSBY - PERRY
ROUSSIN - ZAJAC - DIXON
MEYER - FRASER - CROMBEEN

SCHULTZ - BELLE
SAUNDERS - COLBURN
COULOMBE - WEBER
O'NEILL - GREEN

MUNCE
DUBNYK

HA!

I feal bad for who ever has to play these guys

ouch!!

How did Bernier play?

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
here is a question for u ppl who went to see some action.

how Getzlaf and mostly Perry looked out there. I really want him ( Perry ) to get a spot on the national team!!!

I also want infos on Getzlaf but since he was there last year adn played pretty well, I can only assume he will be back there and have an important role to play!!

is Perry on the 2nd line for team Canada too optimitic?

SwOOsh*

Any comments on Fehr?

He didn't play at the rookie camp because of his wrist injury, so I'm interested in how he's doing. (and Green would be great also ;) )

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Testify said:
here is a question for u ppl who went to see some action.

how Getzlaf and mostly Perry looked out there. I really want him ( Perry ) to get a spot on the national team!!!

I also want infos on Getzlaf but since he was there last year adn played pretty well, I can only assume he will be back there and have an important role to play!!

is Perry on the 2nd line for team Canada too optimitic?

Perry isn't the quickest guy out there and didn't play with the most intensity. Considering a Sutter is the head coach that might put his place on the team in jeopardy. I guess we'll see what happens but he didn't blow me away in the scrimmage.

Getzlaf scored two goals. I'm a big fan. Throws his body around, has a high skill level. I'm sure he'll play a prominent role.

Guys that stood out to me the most were Crosby, Coburn, Zajac, Carter, Richards, Getzlaf, Rogers, Phaneuf. Schultz stood out as well but perhaps that was because he's so damn big :) Great skater for his size though, good puckskills. Caps sure had themselves a great draft.

O'Neill, Roussin, Coulumbe didn't impress at all.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Perry isn't the quickest guy out there and didn't play with the most intensity. Considering a Sutter is the head coach that might put his place on the team in jeopardy. I guess we'll see what happens but he didn't blow me away in the scrimmage.

Getzlaf scored two goals. I'm a big fan. Throws his body around, has a high skill level. I'm sure he'll play a prominent role.

Guys that stood out to me the most were Crosby, Coburn, Zajac, Carter, Richards, Getzlaf, Rogers, Phaneuf. Schultz stood out as well but perhaps that was because he's so damn big :) Great skater for his size though, good puckskills. Caps sure had themselves a great draft.

O'Neill, Roussin, Coulumbe didn't impress at all.

Did S. Bernier score?

Also, what kind of chemistry did he have with Carter and Ladd. Seems like a great line on paper for Canada.

Jovo Cop

I saw on the sports hi-lites today big Fistric took a run at Crosby ..is there much rough stuff going on ??????

If you can how does Dubnyk and chipchura look ,do you think they have a chance at making the squad??

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
sharkyz15 said:
Did S. Bernier score?

Also, what kind of chemistry did he have with Carter and Ladd. Seems like a great line on paper for Canada.

Bernier didn't score. Didn't really notice him a ton but there was so many players to watch. He was a bit faster and slimmer than I expected though.

Here's the description of the first scrimmage....

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/junior/2005/results/081604_redwht.html

In other news Ladd has gone down injured and Dustin Boyd of the Flames has replaced him. I suspect some D. Sutter influence there (Sutter was helping to coach team Red with P. DeBoer while Rich Preston the Flames asst was helping to coach team White with J. Hulton.) Brent Sutter was just watching from higher up.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/news/2004/nr086.html

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Jovo Cop said:
I saw on the sports hi-lites today big Fistric took a run at Crosby ..is there much rough stuff going on ??????

Yeah seems to be no holds barred from what I saw. Crosby got demolished in the crease and there were several big hits.

Jovo Cop said:
If you can how does Dubnyk and chipchura look ,do you think they have a chance at making the squad??

Dubnyk didn't play in the scrimmage. Chipchura impressed on a few shifts. As I said, SO many players to try and watch.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Bernier didn't score. Didn't really notice him a ton but there was so many players to watch. He was a bit faster and slimmer than I expected though.

Here's the description of the first scrimmage....

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/junior/2005/results/081604_redwht.html

In other news Ladd has gone down injured and Dustin Boyd of the Flames has replaced him. I suspect some D. Sutter influence there (Sutter was helping to coach team Red with P. DeBoer while Rich Preston the Flames asst was helping to coach team White with J. Hulton.) Brent Sutter was just watching from higher up.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/news/2004/nr086.html

thanks for the info, if possible you can you focuse a little more on him and see weather he still floats around?

Thanks a lot

they play again tom. right?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
how's nigel dawes looking?

noticed no one's mentioned him, but he scored a goal in the last game at least...just wonderin what people think of him. is he at least looking pretty good?

Jovo Cop

Thanks for the updates ..they are VERY much appreciatted!!!!!
Go Canada Go!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad