GDT: Canada - Norway

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

He might get another game for this one. We will see.

It's a classic thing where the player got his nose bloodied up but people will insist no head contact was made.lol NHL nothing happens because of rule 48. IIHF is stricter on this.

FTR.. I prefer the IIHF rule more. And that is not something I type often.lol

He didn't jump, he didn't have his elbow up. Why should he get an extra game, for being taller?

• Haha
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Veleno is a big loss... Hard to believe I am writing that but this team lacks faceoff acumen, penalty killers, play drivers, and scorers. So... Sammy M better to be ready to win a 2-1 game in the QF's..

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He didn't jump, he didn't have his elbow up. Why should he get an extra game, for being taller?
Hitting the head first... different rules in IIHF.

FTR.. you don't have to jump or elbow a guy to concuss him or hit him head first. It's the 'head first' part that is key here. We will see.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Veleno is a big loss... Hard to believe I am writing that but this team lacks faceoff acumen, penalty killers, play drivers, and scorers. So... Sammy M better to be ready to win a 2-1 game in the QF's..
The loss wasn't that big a surprise as the game is kind of meaningless (can't win first and getting one of the Holy Trinity in the other pool) and Canada lost their 1C. They'll adjust but first game without him.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Hitting the head first... different rules in IIHF.

FTR.. you don't have to jump or elbow a guy to concuss him or hit him head first. It's the 'head first' part that is key here. We will see.

I was more responding to him saying he prefers the IIHF rules more which I find to be soft as hell.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I was more responding to him saying he prefers the IIHF rules more which I find to be soft as hell.
I'd call it necessary and hope it makes its way to the NHL. It's already in the CHL and pretty much all the other pro leagues. Matter of time. Won't miss these kinds of arguments or logic at all.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I think the Fantilli hit is a game misconduct with NHL rules too, head is both primary and initial point of contact. Fantilli needs to realize he needs to adjust when hitting shorter players.

Reactions: Czechboy

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the Fantilli hit is a game misconduct with NHL rules too, head is both primary and initial point of contact. Fantilli needs to realize he needs to adjust when hitting shorter players.
I don't know. This doesn’t seem any worse/different than that hit Trouba laid on Meier in the playoffs. Fantilli got the IIHF treatment:

I: Incomprehensible
I: Inconsistent
F: Fraudulent
H: Hypocritical

Last edited:

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Stanley Cup action notwithstanding, it would be nice to get a wider selection of Canada's best players for this tournament instead of a collection of those just willing to show up. Most of us expect Canada to dominate not just participate.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Congrats Norway! How many "This is meaningless tournament" or "This is our Z team" have we seen already? It usually starts immediately Canada loses or even concedes haha.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I'd call it necessary and hope it makes its way to the NHL. It's already in the CHL and pretty much all the other pro leagues. Matter of time. Won't miss these kinds of arguments or logic at all.

Nah. You run around the ice with your head down you get creamed, doesn't make sense to encourage players to play without being aware of their surroundings.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Canada was lazy as hell today. This is the disadvantage of the tournament format. There always are several games to the end of the group stage where one of the teams or both know they already advanced or can't advance anymore, and the game is kind of pointless. Canada knew they will play either Finland or Sweden or the US in the QF game, which are all equally strong teams. So they had no big motivation vs. Norway. A game like this may take place in any possible format of any tournament, but the less of such games the better. Tomorrow's game between CAN and CZE is probably going the be the same. A preparation game where neither team will be extra motivated.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don't think It was the initial point of contact. Or he connected in 2 areas simultaneously. Not sure it would even be a penalty in the NHL. It should be though.

Last edited:

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Slovakia - Norway is going to be a close game. Last time the two met couple years ago at WC, Norway won. Slovakia to play for a chance to advance, Norway with no pressure.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
I remember the win against Canada back in WC 2000. Had to wait 23 years to ever witness that again.
Proud of our team today :handclap:
Not really. Most of their best players just either recently retired or are about to do so. Holos, Thoresen, the better Olimb, etc. Zuccarello would be nice, obviously but him and Rosseli Olsen are really the only big losses.
I would also add Erlend Lesund (SHL) who got injured before the tournament, and Emillio Pettersen (AHL) playing in Calder Cup playoffs. Considering our roster for this tournament, these two players would had an impact on our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad