Post-Game Talk: Canada-Norway (SPOILERS DUH!)

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
God some of you overreact way too much. Didn't score 5+ goals against Norway in the first game! **** it we're not winning gold, split up the team because nothing is working :laugh:

Ahem UofG Ahem :sarcasm:
Is it possible to redraft the team? These guys suck :naughty:

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
It wasn't terrible. A bit sluggish in the first but they found their game afterwards... held possession really well and scored enough to get the win.
Scored enough to get the win? They were playing Norway.

37-3 coming into today.

I get that Canada is historically a slow starter and it takes time to find chemistry, but that was dreadful. It is clear that some of these players are simply not deserving to be playing in the position they have been put in to. Kunitz, Carter, etc. Add to that an unacceptable lack of discipline and inability to finish quality scoring chances against a second rate goaltender and there are a lot of question marks moving forwards.

If Canada comes out with that kind of effort against any of the other powerhouses and we have another 2006 on our hands.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Scored enough to get the win? They were playing Norway.

37-3 coming into today.

I get that Canada is historically a slow starter and it takes time to find chemistry, but that was dreadful. It is clear that some of these players are simply not deserving to be playing in the position they have been put in to. Kunitz, Carter, etc. Add to that an unacceptable lack of discipline and inability to finish quality scoring chances against a second rate goaltender and there are a lot of question marks moving forwards.

If Canada comes out with that kind of effort against any of the other powerhouses and we have another 2006 on our hands.

Lol the chicken littles here are hilarious. These are the best players in the world, put any of the other bubble players in here and it's the same result.

It takes time to get chemistry, Canada dominated while "struggling" offensively.

If you're old enough to remember SLC, Canada was blown out, barely beat Germany, came from behind to tie the Czechs all in the round robin and still managed Gold.

I know you want to blow this team up, get some draft picks and look towards 2018, but believe it or not even superstars need a week of practice and games to play well together.

Everything is just fine.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That seemed like a more difficult victory then it should have been considering the level of competition.

But it was a good warm up effort.

Fortunately it wasn't against a much stronger opponent or this might have been a loss.

TheThrill81*

That seemed like a more difficult victory then it should have been considering the level of competition.

But it was a good warm up effort.

Fortunately it wasn't against a much stronger opponent or this might have been a loss.

Just because Canada didn't win in a blowout doesn't mean it was a difficult win. They outplayed Norway pretty much the entire game. I don't think we'll have to worry about their ability to capitalize on chances every game.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Just because Canada didn't win in a blowout doesn't mean it was a difficult win. They outplayed Norway pretty much the entire game. I don't think we'll have to worry about their ability to capitalize on chances every game.

Thats what they said in 06. :laugh:

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
A little concerning that they couldn't score more while the U.S. completely dominated Slovakia which is a much better team than Norway, however it takes time to build chemistry and also it's human nature to take lesser opponents more lightly...they likely didn't have the right mindset and it took longer than it should have to get their heads in the game. We'll see what Canada is really capable of when they play a legitimate opponent on Sunday.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Ummm.

When they went to the Stanley Cup final, who was leading the way?? Richards and Carter or Briere or Giroux, it was the latter.

Also, Giroux's performance against Pittsburgh 2 years ago was simply outstanding.

Which is all great, except why do the past 2 seasons' playoffs cease to exist for this comparison?

Are we ignoring that if you look any deeper than the goals and assists that Giroux's playoff career is not actually much to talk about? Racking up points against one of the worst displays of goaltending and defense by Pittsburgh, then not being very good against NJ? Same story the year before against Buffalo, then not being very good against Boston while being swept? Not very good against Chicago in the finals?

Bigger, stronger, physical -- 3 characteristics that mean a whole lot less on big ice.

Not sure where you got that idea. Norway kept this game closer than anybody predicted by playing a very physical game. There is no lack of hitting and hard 1-on-1 battles in the Olympics.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bergeron had a very effective game, not flashy, but he gets results. The Guy is a winner, and he makes winning plays.

I know fans here love flashy skilled players. But Bergeron is a perfect example of a player that gets more out of his game than the flashy on the team today/tonight.

TheThrill81*

I'm curious what Corsi has to say about Canada outshooting Norway 38-20 and beating them 3-1. Is it sustainable for Canada to outplay their opponents and win? :sarcasm:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If i could make the lines i'd try:

Duchene - Crosby - Tavares
Nash - Toews - Sharp
St. Louis - Getzlaff - Perry
Benn - Bergeron - Marleau

(not sure if my RW and LW correct)

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
If i could make the lines i'd try:

Duchene - Crosby - Tavares
Nash - Toews - Sharp
St. Louis - Getzlaff - Perry
Benn - Bergeron - Marleau

(not sure if my RW and LW correct)

I'd actually like to see JT with Crosby. However, I don't think it'll ever happen. He's just better as a Center.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If Kunitz and Carter were the first line wingers on my nhl team, I'd be searching high and low for an upgrade.

For my nhl team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If Kunitz and Carter were the first line wingers on my nhl team, I'd be searching high and low for an upgrade.

For my nhl team.

those two are going to be the biggest quibble the entire tourny, unless they really light it up.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Teams like Norway, Switzerland and Finland all play solid defensive hockey, they collapse and block everything in sight. Canada will flourish against better teams when the play opens up and they can use the extra space on the bigger ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad