WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Man, this team could set a record for guys we could lose to the pros this year.

Glass,Rasmussen,Suzuki,Tippett,Vilardi,Formenton,Thomas, even Bouchard might stick in edmonton.

I would really only consider Suzuki safe, the rest could easily stick with the big club all year.

No one gets hit like Canada.

Vilardi is back skating and should go back to Junior. Does anyone know his status. He is a mystery player to me.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Veleno is off to the start he needs to have a chance to make this team. In one of the games he didnt have points he was listed as having 8 dangerous chances I believe so the point total could be even higher right now 9gp 7 goals 8 assists for 15 points.

veleno's contribution to the team makes his point status a non factor. Veleno could come in and be a shutdown guy, be a great pk guy, be a grinder guy or play up a line. His versatility alone should make him a great candidate for the team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
veleno's contribution to the team makes his point status a non factor. Veleno could come in and be a shutdown guy, be a great pk guy, be a grinder guy or play up a line. His versatility alone should make him a great candidate for the team.

Yeah what youre saying is likely why he would make the team, but the amount of offense hes showing means they could likely count on him on a scoring line as well as doing all of the stuff you mentioned. Bringing a guy that you could plug into every line and have them succeed is good in a short tournament.

I think there were some questions about if he was the guy in St Johns offensively or the guy in Drummondville going forward from last year and it looks like hes more like the offensive guy in Drummondville than people thought

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I also like Veleno's versatility. I could see Veleno and Hayton as the two centres that are relied upon for the more defensive duties on the team, with Glass and Frost used in more offensive roles. It's too early to project much though.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Anderson-Dolan being returned to Spokane, LA beat writer has just posted a story...saw it coming but good news for TC

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Hopefully St. Louis sends Thomas back to Hamilton.

The Hockey News believes that all of Formenton, Thomas, Bouchard and Rasmussen will be returned to Juniors. Looks like only Comtois (no surprise) is going to remain in the NHL beyond the 9 game mark.

If all these guys get returned it is looking extremely healthy for TC

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
The Hockey News believes that all of Formenton, Thomas, Bouchard and Rasmussen will be returned to Juniors. Looks like only Comtois (no surprise) is going to remain in the NHL beyond the 9 game mark.

If all these guys get returned it is looking extremely healthy for TC

extremely. what's the latest with our oft injured Vilardi?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not optimistic that only one player will be missing for Canada, but if it turned out that Comtois were the only player missing due to the NHL that would be the second lowest number for Canada ever. One above 2013 and tied with 2006. At the very least we would be looking at a very deep edition of team Canada at the WJC.

dwright5314

Jul 10, 2017
New Hampshire
For those that know TC a lot better than I do, it seems like Jack Studnicka has a very good shot of making the team. Am I correct in that statement?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
For those that know TC a lot better than I do, it seems like Jack Studnicka has a very good shot of making the team. Am I correct in that statement?

Hes in the running and had a really solid summer evaluation but I'm not sure he ends up making it, especially if all of those NHLer get sent back. Hes not making it as a center over Thomas, Anderson-Dolan, Rasmussen I wouldnt think. Rasmussen might swing out to wing on a top line but you still have a lot of guys right in the thick of it with Studnicka and hes not exactly tearing up to start the season.

Depending on what they want for a roster make up they might take Frost over him if they want an offensive PP guy. Hayton was a 5th overall, having a good start ot the season and hes well rounded. If they want a versatile guy who can play anywhere in the line up they might want Veleno.

If all those NHLers do come back I would think Studnicka will be in the running but ends up a final cut. I'm not sure the offense is there with him when they can take more skilled/offensive players that also do the things he does defensively. Its still early though so this could change but I dont know if I would say VERY good. Hes a guy in he running for a bottom of the roster spot I think right now

Edit: I wrote that without even thinking of Shane Bowers who might be there and Cody Glass who without injury will be a lock imo

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Gut feeling is that Bouchard sticks in Edmonton, which is a loss for this team. The 9 game mark is coming up for him, which should be very tellling.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Reported that Rasmussen will more than likely be sent back to juniors after Fridays game against the Jets.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Frost-Thomas-Glass
Suzuki-Veleno-Lafreniere
? - Rasmussen - Kelly
McCloud-AndersonDolan-Noel
?

Smith-Dobson
Joseph-Bouchard
Phillips-Woo
Beaudin

DiPietro
Scott

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
Here is the scouting report on all Canadian players: A, B, C grade for player Compete level and overall performance and 1-5 for skating and puck carrying skills.

Potential Line

L1 : Foudy 4.6B , Glass 4B , Vilardi 3.7 A (Been injured since July 31st and will be out until end of Oct.)

L2: Hayton 4.2B , Thomas 4.2A, Tippett 4.5 B

L3: Lafreniere 4.5A, Veleno 4.2 B, Lavoie 4.3 B (can be skill line for QMJHL)

L4: Anderson-Dolan 3.8 A, Studnicka 4.1 A, Enwistle 3.8 A

L3: Frost 3.9 C (need to be a lot better based on summer showcase) , Bowers 4B, Dellandrea 3.9B

Defense:

L1: Smith 4.2A Right Side questionable right now
L2: Joseph 4.1B Mitchell 4.1B
L3: McIsaac 4.5B , Dobson 3.7A

Brooks 4.2 B
Bernard-Docker 4.3B
Merkley 4.5C

NHL Junior who will not be sent back according to my call as of today: Bouchard, Comtoix, Formenton, Rasmussen

Notables await CHL/Russia Challenge scouting report: Noel, Leason, Schnarr, Thomas, Almeida, Dach, Fix-Wolansky, Cozens.

Poor Performance: McCloud(slow), Beaudin (too many give-ways), Addison (defensive liability), Ratcliffe (slow), N. Suzuki ( not agile enough and compete level)

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Have a hard time not seeing Lavoie getting a spot on the wing.

I agree with this... you things will get a little muddier if some NHL comes back but right now, he’s sitting pretty good.

Anderson-Dolan- Glass- Suzuki
Frost- Hayton- Tippett
Lafreniere- Bowers- Lavoie
Foudy- Veleno- Studnicka

Reactions: PuckLife

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Reported that Rasmussen will more than likely be sent back to juniors after Fridays game against the Jets.

Where are you reading this? Hes staying with Detroit past the 9 game mark. I could see him being released for the WJC because Detroit is really going to blow this year and unless theres injuries they wont need him for those 2 weeks likely. But Blashill has some out and said hes staying wit Detroit

Red Wings likely to continue evaluating Michael Rasmussen past 10 games

Have a hard time not seeing Lavoie getting a spot on the wing.

Hes had a hot (almost goal per game) start, but with what seems like a lot of guys coming back from the NHL and LAfreniere likely on the team I have a hard time seeing them take another draft eligible when Lafreniere is 2 years removed from his draft. If theyre taking another draft eligible I have a hard time not seeing Cozens or Dach taken over Lavoie.

If Lavoie is still humming close to a goal a game then maybe but I dont see him being the second draft eligible taken, if there even is a second one

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Where are you reading this? Hes staying with Detroit past the 9 game mark. I could see him being released for the WJC because Detroit is really going to blow this year and unless theres injuries they wont need him for those 2 weeks likely. But Blashill has some out and said hes staying wit Detroit

Red Wings likely to continue evaluating Michael Rasmussen past 10 games

Hes had a hot (almost goal per game) start, but with what seems like a lot of guys coming back from the NHL and LAfreniere likely on the team I have a hard time seeing them take another draft eligible when Lafreniere is 2 years removed from his draft. If theyre taking another draft eligible I have a hard time not seeing Cozens or Dach taken over Lavoie.

If Lavoie is still humming close to a goal a game then maybe but I dont see him being the second draft eligible taken, if there even is a second one

The difference being that Lavoie is a late birthday 18 year old who would have been (arguably) Top 15 pick in the '18 draft, perhaps even top 10. Hockey Canada would be foolish to fret too much over that issue. Certainly I wouldn't take a team of 17 year olds to the U20 tournament, but I wouldn't be worrying too much over Lavoie's late birthday and draft status. If it's Lafreniere, Lavoie + 1 of Cozens or Dach - we're in fine shape. Give them all a shot at December camp and it will all come out in the wash. but a big body versatile skilled C/RW is hard to take a pass on.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The difference being that Lavoie is a late birthday 18 year old who would have been (arguably) Top 15 pick in the '18 draft, perhaps even top 10. Hockey Canada would be foolish to fret too much over that issue. Certainly I wouldn't take a team of 17 year olds to the U20 tournament, but I wouldn't be worrying too much over Lavoie's late birthday and draft status. If it's Lafreniere, Lavoie + 1 of Cozens or Dach - we're in fine shape. Give them all a shot at December camp and it will all come out in the wash. but a big body versatile skilled C/RW is hard to take a pass on.

I dont disagree but I doubt Hockey Canada feels the same way based on what we've seen them do in the past. Him being a lte birthday might help make it a little easier for them but at the end of the day hes still draft eligible and Canada doesnt often bring draft eligible players, let a lone multiple.

Last time they brought multiple I'm thinking was Mackinnon/Drouin and they were the favourite to go 1st and 2nd or 3rd overall and Mackinnon still hardly played.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I dont disagree but I doubt Hockey Canada feels the same way based on what we've seen them do in the past. Him being a lte birthday might help make it a little easier for them but at the end of the day hes still draft eligible and Canada doesnt often bring draft eligible players, let a lone multiple.

Last time they brought multiple I'm thinking was Mackinnon/Drouin and they were the favourite to go 1st and 2nd or 3rd overall and Mackinnon still hardly played.

Crouse and McDavid were the last 2. Before that they brought Reinhart, McDavid and Ekblad.

I don’t think they really care about whether a player is draft eligible. I think they care about age and ability to produce at this level. Lafreniere is a 17 year old, Lavoie an 18 year old, if they’re good enough to be there, then I think they will be.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Here is the scouting report on all Canadian players: A, B, C grade for player Compete level and overall performance and 1-5 for skating and puck carrying skills.

Potential Line

L1 : Foudy 4.6B , Glass 4B , Vilardi 3.7 A (Been injured since July 31st and will be out until end of Oct.)

L2: Hayton 4.2B , Thomas 4.2A, Tippett 4.5 B

L3: Lafreniere 4.5A, Veleno 4.2 B, Lavoie 4.3 B (can be skill line for QMJHL)

L4: Anderson-Dolan 3.8 A, Studnicka 4.1 A, Enwistle 3.8 A

L3: Frost 3.9 C (need to be a lot better based on summer showcase) , Bowers 4B, Dellandrea 3.9B

Defense:

L1: Smith 4.2A Right Side questionable right now
L2: Joseph 4.1B Mitchell 4.1B
L3: McIsaac 4.5B , Dobson 3.7A

Brooks 4.2 B
Bernard-Docker 4.3B
Merkley 4.5C

NHL Junior who will not be sent back according to my call as of today: Bouchard, Comtoix, Formenton, Rasmussen

Notables await CHL/Russia Challenge scouting report: Noel, Leason, Schnarr, Thomas, Almeida, Dach, Fix-Wolansky, Cozens.

Poor Performance: McCloud(slow), Beaudin (too many give-ways), Addison (defensive liability), Ratcliffe (slow), N. Suzuki ( not agile enough and compete level)

LOL!!!!

He's the best forwards in the entire CHL right now.....

Mitch Brown @MitchLBrown

Some way too early CHL tracking project observations 75 games in:

Nick Suzuki (MTL) leads in just about everything.

Shots/60? Yes.
Shot Assists/60? Of course.
Entries/60? Obviously.
Scoring Chances/60? Those too.
Scoring Chance Assists/60? You bet.

4:27 PM - Oct 22, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad