WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think he makes it, seeing how his coach is Team Canada's coach, he knows what he can do better then other players. If he keeps putting up points he'll be close to a lock. Last year he had that wrist injury and he said he felt he came back too soon which is why he didn't shoot that much. Now that he's 100%, he should put up some big numbers even though MJ lost all that firepower from last season. Although I suspect he'll be traded to a team that is gunning for the WHL cham/Memorial Cup run.
I definitely think it is going to far to say he will be anything close to a lock to make the team. Dobson and Smith are locks. Bouchard if he is available is a lock. He is in a group with Woo,McIsaac,Bernard-Docker,Addison,Beaudin, P-O Joseph that will all be fitting for the last 2 or 3 spots on the back end.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Veleno isn't generally considered one of the favourites to make the team, but he's someone I will be keeping an eye on. He had a really good camp for Detroit and will be playing for a strong Drummondville team. Has a good relationship with Hockey Canada, even captaining the last Hlinka team. For me he's the favourite for the fourth centre spot, and potentially higher up the lineup depending on who is missing.
I think he will be there as well. As an underager, his game has been overly scrutinized. The wings have a good pick in him , in my opinion.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I definitely think it is going to far to say he will be anything close to a lock to make the team. Dobson and Smith are locks. Bouchard if he is available is a lock. He is in a group with Woo,McIsaac,Bernard-Docker,Addison,Beaudin, P-O Joseph that will all be fitting for the last 2 or 3 spots on the back end.

Joseph is a lock as well I’d think.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Joseph is a lock as well I’d think.

I wouldnt call him a lock at all. No history with hockey Canada, wasnt a super high pick, and doesnt have a history of high offensive output (46 points in 63 games last season). A guy like that isnt a lock, he needs to have a really good start to the season and camp to make the team. Smith, Dobson and Bouchard (if hes returned) are locks on D and thats it. PO Jospeh will be battling with guys like McIsaac.

I think Jospeh has a pretty good chance but he'll need a good start. If it comes down to 2 guys of similar calibre like McIsaac or Joseph, do you think they take the guy who can get experience and return next year or the older guy? If the staff thinks they can likely make a similar impact this year theyll take the younger guy, whick I think hurts Joseph against some of these D

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I wouldnt call him a lock at all. No history with hockey Canada, wasnt a super high pick, and doesnt have a history of high offensive output (46 points in 63 games last season). A guy like that isnt a lock, he needs to have a really good start to the season and camp to make the team. Smith, Dobson and Bouchard (if hes returned) are locks on D and thats it. PO Jospeh will be battling with guys like McIsaac.

I think Jospeh has a pretty good chance but he'll need a good start. If it comes down to 2 guys of similar calibre like McIsaac or Joseph, do you think they take the guy who can get experience and return next year or the older guy? If the staff thinks they can likely make a similar impact this year theyll take the younger guy, whick I think hurts Joseph against some of these D
Joseph’s numbers and offensive abilities in general are really impressive considering that his calling card is his defensive capability. Things can change, but I would also consider him a lock at this time. His strength and skating ability will be invaluable in shutting down guys like Jack Hughes who can easily go around the Bouchards and through the Smiths we might choose to bring along, and he can get the puck up well and make the right choices with it in the offensive end, too.

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'll be honest, I'm not anywhere near as knowledgable in the junior level as I am senior but what are Canada's chances this year? I'm assuming as always we're a gold medal contender..that's obvious but I know some years we're considered overwhelmingly superior in certain areas, can that be said this year?

What's the consensus? loaded offence? good D? goaltending?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'll be honest, I'm not anywhere near as knowledgable in the junior level as I am senior but what are Canada's chances this year? I'm assuming as always we're a gold medal contender..that's obvious but I know some years we're considered overwhelmingly superior in certain areas, can that be said this year?

Probably not standout favorites but as always that depends on what we end up losing from the NHL because I could see this being a young team loaded up with 2000 year players as that is one of the strongest age groups we have had in a while.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

We appear to be the favorites going into 2019. Very balanced in all positions as always and the 99 forward core has absolutely blossomed, looking ahead it's most likely going to be the best forward core we've had in a while. Still plenty of questions on D but Smith and Dobson are for sure locks. Goaltending is also a question mark but if DiPietro is in form then we're good.

TheProspectNetwork

Jan 3, 2018
theprospectnetwork.ca
Probably not standout favorites but as always that depends on what we end up losing from the NHL because I could see this being a young team loaded up with 2000 year players as that is one of the strongest age groups we have had in a while.
To be honest, i think the 2000 age group is weak for Canada. The D is good but the top end forwards we are used to seeing just aren't there. I think both the 1999 and 2001 age groups are better.

Reactions: cg98

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I can't really speak to the quality of the other teams but there is every reason to expect that this edition of team Canada is a solid gold medal contender. Looks like a deep team at forward and defence without (for now) any real standouts. DiPietro looks like a promising goaltender for the team. My biggest question right now is what Hunter is going to be like.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Obviously it’s way too early in the season to put much stock in what anybody is doing yet but as the season progresses, things will become more clear. As it currently stands there is a lot of unanswered questions, a lot of guys in the mix for spots (a lot more than what I’m about to list) and it’ll all come down to how they play and who gets sent back, outside of the obvious locks, there’s a lot of jostling left to do. These are based solely on the invites to the Summer Camps, what I’ve seen of the players to date (not just this season) and how I think they’ll keep going. The lines that are listed aren’t really that important, it’s just more visually appealing then lists and to generate some discussion. For most of the guys, they can be moved around the lineup and there’d be no complaints.

So scenario 1, is how I could see it shaking down if none of the 8 NHL guys get returned:

Lafreniere- Glass- Suzuki
Frost- Veleno- Tippett
Foudy- Bowers- Mattheos
McLeod- Studnicka- Dellandrea
Morand

Smith- Dobson
Beaudin- Mitchell
Joseph- Brook
McIsaac

DiPietro
Villalta
Rodrigue

99- 15
00- 7
01- 1

Scenario 2, is how I could see it shaking down if the team was to get all 8 NHL backs (will not happen but may as well list it):

Comtois- Thomas- Vilardi
Lafreniere- Glass- Suzuki
Formenton- Anderson-Dolan- Tippett
Frost- Bowers- Rasmussen
Hayton

Smith- Dobson
Beaudin- Bouchard
Joseph- Mitchell
Brook

DiPietro
Villalta
Rodrigue

99- 18
00- 4
01- 1

Scenario 3, is my realistic guess just based on who I think will be returned and who will stick in the NHL:

Lafreniere- Glass- Vilardi
Frost- Anderson-Dolan- Suzuki
Rasmussen- Hayton- Tippett
Foudy- Bowers- Studnicka
Veleno

Smith- Dobson
Beaudin- Mitchell
Joseph- Brook
McIsaac

DiPietro
Villalta
Rodrigue

99- 15
00- 7
01- 1

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
^ all interesting scenarios.

but I don't think Hockey Canada gives Lafreniere a top 6 role under any circumstance. That's just not the way Hockey Canada operates. And Lafreniere is not doing much to make a case for himself for such a role in the early going. He needs to pick up the pace, and pick it up in a hurry.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
^ all interesting scenarios.

but I don't think Hockey Canada gives Lafreniere a top 6 role under any circumstance. That's just not the way Hockey Canada operates. And Lafreniere is not doing much to make a case for himself for such a role in the early going. He needs to pick up the pace, and pick it up in a hurry.
It is seriously early in the season. The overall body of work matters and he will pick it up. Not 5 games.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
It is seriously early in the season. The overall body of work matters and he will pick it up. Not 5 games.

It's 6 games. 1 goal in 6 games for a goal scoring winger is not all that great. You're right, it's still early, but the early excuse runs out by next weekend. I'll only cite the Taylor Hall example as the general rule of the way Hockey Canada operates when it comes to 17 year olds. And at this point on the development curve, from what I've seen so far, I'd rate Hall the better player. A decade ago we had a lot better depth to leave off players such as Hall, but that's not the case these days. So, I'm hoping young Alexis gets it going soon. We're going to need him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm all for giving some of the 01's a chance if a lot of our NHL drafted players are still with their NHL teams.

Let's see Cozens, Byram and Lafrenniere on this squad.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't draw any real conclusions about how well players are performing until around November, particularly for players who returned from NHL camps. By November we have a month of data and the Super Series around the corner.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Odds are a lot better than people are being led to believe.
Ratcliffe is the only one who id consider bringing to camp, maybe Merkley if he improves in his own zone and has a monster season leading up to camp but even then Canada has better options at RD currently. There are better options and players than Schnarr as well.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
Ratcliffe is the only one who id consider bringing to camp, maybe Merkley if he improves in his own zone and has a monster season leading up to camp but even then Canada has better options at RD currently. There are better options and players than Schnarr as well.

You aren't picking who will be there.

Merkley played excellent in San Jose and was noticeably dominant last night and has been controlling the pace of the games all year.
He will be picked. People's opinions of him are not going to have an effect on his selection. Not to mention he had a good showing at the U18 last year.

Ratcliffe is just the type of forward Canada likes to bring. A big body that can use his weight and has high skill and a wicked shot.

As for Schnarr, yeah he's a dark horse by all means, but he has been a completely different player this year. He is absolutely winning every puck battle and making players and goalies look like children. It's about who's hot and and showing they deserve to be there, not the Name and if they were even on the team the previous year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Merkley played excellent in San Jose and was noticeably dominant last night and has been controlling the pace of the games all year.
He will be picked. People's opinions of him are not going to have an effect on his selection. Not to mention he had a good showing at the U18 last year.

Ratcliffe is just the type of forward Canada likes to bring. A big body that can use his weight and has high skill and a wicked shot.

As for Schnarr, yeah he's a dark horse by all means, but he has been a completely different player this year. He is absolutely winning every puck battle and making players and goalies look like children. It's about who's hot and and showing they deserve to be there, not the Name and if they were even on the team the previous year.

Peoples opinions of Merkley will matter. Hockey Canada doesnt really like him and I think thats pretty obvious. They have dmen who control pace of games without the extra crap Merkley comes with. Like you said, he had a good showing at te u18 and they still didnt bring him to the summer camp.

Ratcliffe will have a shot like you said hes a big body but he's not a lock. Hes got a solid chance though.

Schnarr might get a long look if he keeps producing like he is but your last part just isnt true. They dont just bring the hot hand and being on the previous team does matter. You might wish it didnt but thats not how Canada operates

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

Neither are you, but Hockey Canada most likely isnt going to take Schnarr or Merkley when theres better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad