WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Sabres let Prendergast go after the 2017 Draft, but then went to that HC POE well again and announced a Jankowski hire today, so congrats, you're rid of him too.

OMG finally got rid of him....

Did HC get rid of him or did he go on his own ?

I hope they hire someone competent

Really, heads need to roll at HC, this failure at the last IH + U18 + WJC bleeding must stop.... the wrong people are being hired...

Salmond needs to go also...

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
The most interesting aspect of this years team should be the defense. For starters all of the most likely candidates are 98s. Secondly it just seems like there is a huge group of possible defense this year. Returnees include Clague, Fabbro, Bean and then there's a very large group of viable candidates like Mete,Foote,Girard, Cholowski, Makar, Hague, Timmons, Mahura and Stanley. Hockey Canada should have a fairly well balanced defense group.

Jake Bean wasn't very good last year but there is a precedent of defenseman improving significantly in their second tournament, Subban, Pietrangelo. I honestly couldn't even remember Chabot playing at all in 2016, mind you I've done my best to expunge the memory of that tournament from my memory.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The most interesting aspect of this years team should be the defense. For starters all of the most likely candidates are 98s. Secondly it just seems like there is a huge group of possible defense this year. Returnees include Clague, Fabbro, Bean and then there's a very large group of viable candidates like Mete,Foote,Girard, Cholowski, Hague, Timmons, Mahura and Stanley. Hockey Canada should have a fairly well balanced defense group.

Jake Bean wasn't very good last year but there is a precedent of defenseman improving significantly in their second tournament, Subban, Pietrangelo. I honestly couldn't even remember Chabot playing at all in 2016, mind you I've done my best to expunge the memory of that tournament from my memory.

The large number of 98 defensive prospects compared with the number of 99 defensive prospects is quite unusual. All I hope is that they don't take Stanley or Foote and that they look at Bean objectively and not gift him a spot again.

The summer camp and games will be interesting, and then the big thing is which players stick in the NHL. I'm guessing that it will be one of the weakest crops of Canadian WJC eligible players ever to stick in the NHL... probably only four players.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The most interesting aspect of this years team should be the defense. For starters all of the most likely candidates are 98s. Secondly it just seems like there is a huge group of possible defense this year. Returnees include Clague, Fabbro, Bean and then there's a very large group of viable candidates like Mete,Foote,Girard, Cholowski, Hague, Timmons, Mahura and Stanley. Hockey Canada should have a fairly well balanced defense group.

You didn't even mention Makar. It is a deep group, I wonder how they will select the group. There's a lot of puck-moving defenceman, and you can never have too many of those, but there is also needs to be enough reliable defensive players. It feels like the men's team, a ton of quality defenceman to pick from, but only few spots. Should be fun to see who is cut and who impresses in the few games we see this summer.

First game starts on August 1st with Canada Red vs USA White and Canada White vs USA Blue. Anybody know if TSN will televise it again this year?

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
You didn't even mention Makar. It is a deep group, I wonder how they will select the group. There's a lot of puck-moving defenceman, and you can never have too many of those, but there is also needs to be enough reliable defensive players. It feels like the men's team, a ton of quality defenceman to pick from, but only few spots. Should be fun to see who is cut and who impresses in the few games we see this summer.

First game starts on August 1st with Canada Red vs USA White and Canada White vs USA Blue. Anybody know if TSN will televise it again this year?[/QUOTE

LOL, I knew I forget someone . Makar is definitely in contention. As you said this team at least at defense is a lot like an Olympics teams too many options for not enough slots.

The one upshot of a couple of relatively weak years for Canadians in the draft is we should have a majority of players available.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014

Benson, Mascherin, Patrick and Vilardi not attending

Are they finally going to give up the ruse now that Vilardi is not injured?

What does that even mean???

"Are they finally going to give up the ruse now that Vilardi is not injured?"

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
What? Benson injured? pulled a muscle eating a bag of doritos?
Rasmussen was always the better choice anyway.

Add Jost to that list of not attending. I'm too good and NHL bound.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
What? Benson injured? pulled a muscle eating a bag of doritos?
Rasmussen was always the better choice anyway.

Add Jost to that list of not attending. I'm too good and NHL bound.

Foot Surgery in a week

He had sports hernia surgery in April

I think he had shoulder surgery last year along with something done to his knee.

19 years old with that injury resume is concerning

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I would be happy with McLeod playing a bottom line role in the Olympics rather than the WJC. As a returning player McLeod should be given the benefit of the doubt and be used or at least tried in bigger situations with this team. He wasn't on the PP, he wasn't on the ice late, he wasn't out there last minute to hold the lead and he wasn't used till the last shift in overtime. This is the center who single handedly carried sauga to the OHL finals. It's clear he is going to be burried in the bottom 6 when he is probably the most explosive center this team has.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I would be happy with McLeod playing a bottom line role in the Olympics rather than the WJC. As a returning player McLeod should be given the benefit of the doubt and be used or at least tried in bigger situations with this team. He wasn't on the PP, he wasn't on the ice late, he wasn't out there last minute to hold the lead and he wasn't used till the last shift in overtime. This is the center who single handedly carried sauga to the OHL finals. It's clear he is going to be burried in the bottom 6 when he is probably the most explosive center this team has.

You do realize that this is just a camp right? McLeod was on the team last year Hockey Canada and the coaches should presumably know what he brings to the table. At this camp the coaches should be trying out the new players to see where they fit in, in different situations like powerplays, the last minute and overtime. It's nothing personal against McLeod.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Posted this in the other thread but didn't get a reply, can you give me a comparison for what type of playing Girard is? Does he compare to Ryan Ellis?

I thought he had a good game and the bigger ice really suits him. He isn't as physical as Ellis but his offensive skills are top notch. Real rover on the ice

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think Canada has found their 4th line

Gadojovic -- Pu -- Bitten

Not a ton of high end skill but they spend time in the offensive wearing down teams

I very much doubt that anything has been decided regarding lines. Several very important factors remain - super series, regular season and December camp.

I thought he had a good game and the bigger ice really suits him. He isn't as physical as Ellis but his offensive skills are top notch. Real rover on the ice

Girard should have been on the team last year over Bean. he could be very good this year depending on who they partner him with and how they use him.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Hockey Canada just hired brad McKesson to replace Ryan Jankowski
I never liked Ryan and wondering if this is the same crap

Please for those who know of brad

Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad