WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
g'way b'y

ya, for a few minutes there I thought some hot shot newfoundland phenom of '98 or '99 birth year had slipped through my fingers....

luckily he responded quickly, otherwise I would have wasted 10-17 minutes searching the Q stats page for this hot shot Newfoundlander deserving of a guaranteed roster spot.

Not that it means much, but I have Fitzgerald ranked 4-5-6 among '98-'99 goalies if he's having a good week. As another poster mentioned, consistency is Fitz's problem.

Maybe he'll have a great start to the season and will earn an invite to December camp.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Might be the best goaltending the team has had in years.

It should be better than last year based on Hart being older and more mature. Hart/Ingram were a good tandem last year with some inconsistent performances mixed in. Hart has the potential to the best starter since Price.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I like Hart and he should be good. I think the backup will be Dipietro who's also excellent. As a Hurricane fan, Stuart Skinner can be a world beater, he carried the Hurricanes past the Tigers in the WHL second round but he is prone to being inconsistent. Wells was also good too. Despite this, I'm pretty pessimistic about our goal tending no matter who's our goalie they always seem to fall apart during the world junior regardless of who they are, where they play,draft positions, age or past success.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It should be better than last year based on Hart being older and more mature. Hart/Ingram were a good tandem last year with some inconsistent performances mixed in. Hart has the potential to the best starter since Price.

well, Ingram **** the bed though.

He was horrible in the gold medal game, those early goals he let in pretty much cost us the game.

It was just putrid.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
well, Ingram **** the bed though.

He was horrible in the gold medal game, those early goals he let in pretty much cost us the game.

It was just putrid.

Ingram never played in the Gold Medal Game. That was all Hart. Ingram blew it early in the semi-final versus Sweden but thankfully it was early enough in the game that the team was able to recover and win.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Ingram never played in the Gold Medal Game. That was all Hart. Ingram blew it early in the semi-final versus Sweden but thankfully it was early enough in the game that the team was able to recover and win.

Ah ****, thats right.....it was the Swe game, I had forgotten.

I guess i tried to forget that game, God, it was like watching a child play nets.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
As a fan of both team Canada and Detroit... am not remotely enthused by Rasmussen. I would be very happy to be wrong about him though.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
As a fan of both team Canada and Detroit... am not remotely enthused by Rasmussen. I would be very happy to be wrong about him though.

Feel bad for you when it comes to your Detroit woes,Sounds like it might be the right time in your life for a heartfelt team switch.

I suggest converting to Habism.

Your concerned friend, J.J Cale.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Feel bad for you when it comes to your Detroit woes,Sounds like it might be the right time in your life for a heartfelt team switch.

I suggest converting to Habism.

Your concerned friend, J.J Cale.

Nah, one team thick or thin. Detroit fans have no right to complain after such a tremendous run. Once Detroit brings in new management (Yzerman) I am confident that a successful rebuild will happen. Montreal handicaps itself and has inherent disadvantages that will always make building a great team difficult.

I will root for Rasmussen regardless of what I expect from him.

Yeah that was a tough draft for the Wings JS.

That's been a consistent theme for over a decade now. Every empire becomes complacent and fades. Miracles like Datsyuk and Zetterberg can't be expected on a remotely consistent basis.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You really like that guys game and potential eh?

I'm not as troubled by the pick at #9 as some are. He has some things he needs to work on, and in DRW fashion he'll get 2 more years of junior and some AHL time to work on those issues.

Would I rather have Rasmussen over any of the Strome brothers? you're goddamn right I would.

Unlike JS, though....I'm not really a DRW fan...but I do appreciate the way they go about their business/developmental model.

CouverNucks

May 25, 2015
No Kole Lind on the summer camp roster? Hopefully he has a hot start to his season and gets an invy for December

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm not as troubled by the pick at #9 as some are. He has some things he needs to work on, and in DRW fashion he'll get 2 more years of junior and some AHL time to work on those issues.

Would I rather have Rasmussen over any of the Strome brothers? you're goddamn right I would.

Unlike JS, though....I'm not really a DRW fan...but I do appreciate the way they go about their business/developmental model.

Whats your NHL team?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Nah, one team thick or thin. Detroit fans have no right to complain after such a tremendous run. Once Detroit brings in new management (Yzerman) I am confident that a successful rebuild will happen. Montreal handicaps itself and has inherent disadvantages that will always make building a great team difficult.

I will root for Rasmussen regardless of what I expect from him.

That's been a consistent theme for over a decade now. Every empire becomes complacent and fades. Miracles like Datsyuk and Zetterberg can't be expected on a remotely consistent basis.

Thats too bad Jack, now is the perfect time to jump ship into the bleau/blanc/rouge camp.....................the winners camp.

There will always be room for you to join the club.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Feeling better about the teams chances these days, there don't seem to be any real loaded up powerhouses going into this years tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Whats your NHL team?

It's not obvious from my posts?

As a young kid being introduced to the game, like most Canadian kids I adopted my father's favorite team, the Leafs. but as I grew older and more aware and tired of the endless losing, the Leafs were dropped for the Nordiques. big fan of Dale Hunter and Joe Sakic, so by default the Avs became my team.

but generally these days I'm more like Jeff Marek, I follow players and not teams...and so the teams I follow most and tend to watch the most are the Avs, Sharks, Dallas...and since June 26th., 2015, the Oilers.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's not obvious from my posts?

As a young kid being introduced to the game, like most Canadian kids I adopted my father's favorite team, the Leafs. but as I grew older and more aware and tired of the endless losing, the Leafs were dropped for the Nordiques. big fan of Dale Hunter and Joe Sakic, so by default the Avs became my team.

but generally these days I'm more like Jeff Marek, I follow players and not teams...and so the teams I follow most and tend to watch the most are the Avs, Sharks, Dallas...and since June 26th., 2015, the Oilers.

I cant recall anything from your posts that tipped me off about what your fave team is, at least i cannot recall any.

The Nordiques?.................ugh.

I want them back in the league again just so I can hate them like I used to.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Feeling better about the teams chances these days, there don't seem to be any real loaded up powerhouses going into this years tournament.

That's the realization I came to a while ago. No one looks particularly strong, and at least Canada will have solid depth and most likely a legitimate goaltender.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That's the realization I came to a while ago. No one looks particularly strong, and at least Canada will have solid depth and most likely a legitimate goaltender.

Agreed.

Hart being back is fantastic and gives us the needed foundation and our depth will be pretty good.

No powerhouse teams it seems, wide open this year and why not Canada with that goalie and depth foundation to go all the way?

I see no reason why not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->