WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I needed to make this to distract myself for a bit.
Here's a preliminary list I made for next year, let me know if I'm missing someone important:

Carter Hart, Stuart Skinner, Ian Scott, Michael DiPietro, Dylan Wells, Evan Fitzpatrick

Victor Mete, Nicholas Hague, Logan Stanley, Sean Day, Dennis Cholowski, Dante Fabbro, Cale Makar, Kale Clague, Cal Foote, Jake Bean, Cale Fleury, David Quenneville, Josh Anderson, Samuel Girard, Thomas Gregoire, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Luke Green

Adam Mascherin, Cliff Pu, Taylor Raddysh, Michael McLeod, Owen Tippett, Gabriel Villardi, Jordan Kyrou, Will Bitten, Givani Smith, Boris Katchouk, Nick Suzuki, Tyson Jost, Shane Bowers, Cameron Morrison, Dillon Dube, Nolan Patrick, Cody Glass, Mason Shaw, Sam Steel, Tyler Benson, Skyler McKenzie, Brett Howden, Kole Lind, Matthew Phillips, Noah Gregor, Michael Rasmussen, Stelio Matheos, Maxime Comtois, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Pascal Laberge, Antoine Morand

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
not expecting a medal next year, little faith in the '98s and zero faith in the dopes who work at Hockey Canada. 4th or 5th place will be an accomplishment.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
not expecting a medal next year, little faith in the '98s and zero faith in the dopes who work at Hockey Canada. 4th or 5th place will be an accomplishment.

I think you are selling them short, they exceeded expectation this year despite not having as much talent, they should have more depth next year.

Dubois-Jost-Raddysh
Mascherin-Steel-Vilardi
Benson-McLeod-Morisson
Katchouk-Pu-Smith
Comtois, Howden

(Patrick in NHL)

Hague-Clague
Girard-Foote
Cholowski-Fabbro
Mete

(Bean cut)

Hart
DiPietro

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

You thought pretty much the same about this group too if I remember correctly.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You thought pretty much the same about this group too if I remember correctly.

The only team that Mr. Writer was optimistic about this decade was the 2015 team, which happens to be the only Canadian team that actually won. I agree that the next year is going to be rough in terms of talent. The 2016 and 2017 drafts aren't filled with Canadian talent. Canada's defensive prospects are also quite weak in both drafts. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 17 year old (Ryan Merkley) on the Canadian team actually. I'm also terrified of the inclusion of Logan Stanley. One positive is that Canada presumably already has a goaltender.

One interesting and somewhat concerning factor next year is that Canada probably won't be missing many players. Can't make any guarantees, but the 2016 draft doesn't look like it has many world beaters and neither does 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if only three players eligible for Canada (Chychrun, Dubois, Patrick) were missing next year. Jost is also a possibility I suppose. It would be great though if Carolina would do Canada a favour and take Bean.

Extremely premature guess:

Jost Steel Raddysh
Comtois Vilardi Tippett
Dube Howden Glass
Benson McLeod Pu
Kyrou

Clague Fabbro
Bean Foote
Girard Hague
Mete

Hart
Some guy

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
The 2017 draft isn't filled with talent for ANY country. Canada looks to have the most first rounders though, by a wide margin. So considering that, I don't see how our 99s can be a weakness.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The only team that Mr. Writer was optimistic about this decade was the 2015 team, which happens to be the only Canadian team that actually won. I agree that the next year is going to be rough in terms of talent. The 2016 and 2017 drafts aren't filled with Canadian talent. Canada's defensive prospects are also quite weak in both drafts. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 17 year old (Ryan Merkley) on the Canadian team actually. I'm also terrified of the inclusion of Logan Stanley. One positive is that Canada presumably already has a goaltender.

One interesting and somewhat concerning factor next year is that Canada probably won't be missing many players. Can't make any guarantees, but the 2016 draft doesn't look like it has many world beaters and neither does 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if only three players eligible for Canada (Chychrun, Dubois, Patrick) were missing next year. Jost is also a possibility I suppose. It would be great though if Carolina would do Canada a favour and take Bean.

Jost Steel Raddysh
Comtois Vilardi Tippett
Dube Howden Glass
Benson McLeod Pu
Kyrou

Clague Fabbro
Bean Foote
Girard Hague
Mete

Hart
Some guy

I was also wrong about the 2013 Ufa team. 2013 and 2015 were the 2 teams I was optimistic about this decade. 1 for 2.

Not optimistic about next year's team...hope I'm wrong and they bring back the gold from Buffalo.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
long shot as 17 year olds but B-O Groulx and Joseph Veleno
I had made teams for all three chl leagues to start and they were both on the qmjhl team (I also had Merkley for ohl) but I'm not trying to be an expert cause I don't have a good enough grasp that far down the road

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I think you are selling them short, they exceeded expectation this year despite not having as much talent, they should have more depth next year.

Dubois-Jost-Raddysh
Mascherin-Steel-Vilardi
Benson-McLeod-Morisson
Katchouk-Pu-Smith
Comtois, Howden

(Patrick in NHL)

Hague-Clague
Girard-Foote
Cholowski-Fabbro
Johansen

(Bean cut)

Hart
DiPietro
Johansen is a 97

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Any chance Ty Smith could make next years team ?

2018 draft? I highly doubt it

I figured this silver medal bought the heads of hockey Canada 1 more year

Although I was hoping that they would clean house at the top

I wonder who they pick as head coach for next year ??

I wonder if the emphasis will be on physical players who can skate.

I don't see that many goal scorers for next years tream but I see the same weakness for other nations also

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014

Jost Steel Raddysh
Comtois Vilardi Tippett
Dube Howden Glass
Benson McLeod Pu
Kyrou

Clague Fabbro
Bean Foote
Girard Hague
Mete

Hart
Some guy

I have a few questions

Why do you say that about Logan Stanley ?

I highly doubt they cut bean(I think I saw it done once before only) He should improve by next year

I think next year they have a chance to incorporate some heavy hitters like g. smith

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have a few questions

I highly doubt they cut bean(I think I saw it done once before only) He should improve by next year

I think next year they have a chance to incorporate some heavy hitters like smith

I say that about Stanley because he is a project NHLer. Big lumbering defencemen aren't effective international players, but Hockey Canada often likes size. As for Bean, I don't expect him to be cut (Hockey Canada has cut a returning player three, maybe four times before) but he was so bad in 2017 that he should be barring a noteworthy improvement. If he does improve enough then he should be back I suppose.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Johansen is a 97

This is true, slipped my mind for some reason. I'm temped to put someone on D who will be very physical and rub out players. Not sure Stanley or Josh Anderson would be effective enough at this level though. I think theres enough size in the lineup and Mete and Girard are solid puckmovers who can bring the puck up ice. Haven't seen a player bring skate with the puck quite like Chabot in a long time. Ryan Murphy might have been the last and even he didn't make it look as effortless as Chabot gonna miss that ability, hopefully Mete and Girard can be puckmovers and Clague learned alot from watching Chabot.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I think it'll be interesting how they incorporate 99s into this team. There are only a few open spots I see (of course depending on individual performance) and we could see next to no returning players in 2019.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I have a few questions

I think next year they have a chance to incorporate some heavy hitters like g. smith

I'm willing to give some of the '98s, Hart, Jost, Fabbro, Raddysh etc. the benefit of the doubt as returnees, but that shouldn't extend to Jake Bean. He was particularly awful. Hockey Canada is not in a position to be pissing away tournament after tournament by gifting roster spots to players simply because they are 19 and are returnees. That mentality has to end.

And a big fat no to Stanley. He wasn't very good at U17. He was terrible at U18. He may become an NHL Defensemen someday when he's 25, but that's not much good to us for next year in Buffalo on a team that, much like this year, will be missing high-end elite level talent. A big hulking D-man is always nice, but he shouldn't be there just because he's big.

Patrick, perhaps our most talented player in the '98 class will be gifted a spot in the NHL simply because he will be a 10A draft, a colossal mistake by whatever NHL GM makes that decision, but that's what NHL GMs do. Player development is not what they do, self preservation is what they do. Unless we are lucky enough that Detroit wins the lottery and drafts Patrick. The odds of Patrick being available increase somewhat in that case.

I've been bearish on the '98s for years...almost the exact opposite to my evaluation of the '95 group where I was bullish. But the last time I was this sour on a WJHC TC was the team we sent to Malmo, Sweden, a team that included a 16 year old McDavid BTW, and if my memory serves, I don't think we medaled there.

So, we'll see. I hope I'm wrong and our boys can deliver in Buffalo.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I'm willing to give some of the '98s, Hart, Jost, Fabbro, Raddysh etc. the benefit of the doubt as returnees, but that shouldn't extend to Jake Bean. He was particularly awful. Hockey Canada is not in a position to be pissing away tournament after tournament by gifting roster spots to players simply because they are 19 and are returnees. That mentality has to end.

And a big fat no to Stanley. He wasn't very good at U17. He was terrible at U18. He may become an NHL Defensemen someday when he's 25, but that's not much good to us for next year in Buffalo on a team that, much like this year, will be missing high-end elite level talent. A big hulking D-man is always nice, but he shouldn't be there just because he's big.

Patrick, perhaps our most talented player in the '98 class will be gifted a spot in the NHL simply because he will be a 10A draft, a colossal mistake by whatever NHL GM makes that decision, but that's what NHL GMs do. Player development is not what they do, self preservation is what they do. Unless we are lucky enough that Detroit wins the lottery and drafts Patrick. The odds of Patrick being available increase somewhat in that case.

I've been bearish on the '98s for years...almost the exact opposite to my evaluation of the '95 group where I was bullish. But the last time I was this sour on a WJHC TC was the team we sent to Malmo, Sweden, a team that included a 16 year old McDavid BTW, and if my memory serves, I don't think we medaled there.

So, we'll see. I hope I'm wrong and our boys can deliver in Buffalo.

I think I am less worried than most for next year. We will be strong next year by "association ". Meaning other countries will be extremely weak

Now I hope we bring some hitters like g smith. I think he has a chance to make it next year

Who are the heavy hitters on defense? Foote? Hague? Anyone?

Tbaywingfan

Oct 19, 2013
Mascherin-Jost-Raddysh
Howden-Steel-Vilardi
Benson-McLeod-Tippett
Dube-Pu-Kyrou
Rasmussen

Bean-Fabbro
Clague-Foote
Hague-Mete
Girard

Hart