Can/Will the flyers make the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This sounds good to me too. The perfect situation would be Giroux winning the Art Ross, Gostisbehere winning the Calder and Flyers picking between 1 and 3. I want the Penguins to make the playoffs, just so they don't get a 1st round pick and get bounced in the first round.

As a stats geek I just hope Giroux can come top ten in points again, while holding his 2011-12 to 2015-16 point lead! As every player who ever led the NHL in points over 5 season spans on more than one occasion is a HoFer.

(He is 9 points ahead of Malkin in that span, 11 ahead of Kane, it will be touch and go I think... I don't care that much about the decade lead actually, bizarre as it may seem, as I very much doubt he can hold out for another 4 seasons... though Kane, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Benn, Seguin & Tavares seem like the only logical challengers to Giroux for the decade scoring lead come the end of 2019-20.)

He has 31 in his last 33... so if he produces like that for the final 37 games he would finish at 72 points... which will be right around 10th in all likelihood.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Point pace standings after tonight:

#1: Washington: .793% (130 point pace)
#2: Florida: .628% (103 point pace)
#3: Islanders: .609% (100 point pace)
#4: Rangers: .606% (99 point pace)
#5: Detroit: .596% (98 point pace)
#6: Tampa Bay: .596% (98 point pace)
#7: Boston: .576% (94 point pace)
#8: Pittsburgh: .554% (91 point pace)
#9: New Jersey: .552% (91 point pace)
#10: Philly: .533% (87 point pace)
#11: Montreal: .532% (87 point pace)
#12: Ottawa: .521% (85 point pace)
#13: Carolina: .510% (84 point pace)
#14: Toronto: .467% (77 point pace)
#15: Buffalo: .438% (72 point pace)
#16: Columbus: .396% (65 point pace)

The next 15 games up to the trade deadline will make or break the season... 13/15 of our opponents are in the east and 9/15 teams who we could well be fighting for a spot at years end.

PensBrony 6 9*

This sounds good to me too. The perfect situation would be Giroux winning the Art Ross, Gostisbehere winning the Calder and Flyers picking between 1 and 3. I want the Penguins to make the playoffs, just so they don't get a 1st round pick and get bounced in the first round.

This kind of attitude is just shameful, and it's typical of this place, rooting for prospects instead of your team and watching games actively rooting for them to lose. The flyers are a borderline playoff team and yet you wish they were bad enough for a top 3 pick? Go root for the oilers or something because that's worked out so well for them. Even when the flyers did pick 2nd they didn't end up with a superstar. Making the playoffs is good for the young players we already have and you can still get good talent late in the first round. Fortunately, the glory days of picking in the top 10 seem to be coming to an end, hopefully that attitude goes with them.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Point pace standings after tonight:

#1: Washington: .793% (130 point pace)
#2: Florida: .628% (103 point pace)
#3: Islanders: .609% (100 point pace)
#4: Rangers: .606% (99 point pace)
#5: Detroit: .596% (98 point pace)
#6: Tampa Bay: .596% (98 point pace)
#7: Boston: .576% (94 point pace)
#8: Pittsburgh: .554% (91 point pace)
#9: New Jersey: .552% (91 point pace)
#10: Philly: .533% (87 point pace)
#11: Montreal: .532% (87 point pace)
#12: Ottawa: .521% (85 point pace)
#13: Carolina: .510% (84 point pace)
#14: Toronto: .467% (77 point pace)
#15: Buffalo: .438% (72 point pace)
#16: Columbus: .396% (65 point pace)

The next 15 games up to the trade deadline will make or break the season... 13/15 of our opponents are in the east and 9/15 teams who we could well be fighting for a spot at years end.

At least by the deadline, Hextall will have a clearer picture of where we are at.

This kind of attitude is just shameful, and it's typical of this place, rooting for prospects instead of your team and watching games actively rooting for them to lose. The flyers are a borderline playoff team and yet you wish they were bad enough for a top 3 pick? Go root for the oilers or something because that's worked out so well for them. Even when the flyers did pick 2nd they didn't end up with a superstar. Making the playoffs is good for the young players we already have and you can still get good talent late in the first round. Fortunately, the glory days of picking in the top 10 seem to be coming to an end, hopefully that attitude goes with them.

He was referring to us winning the lottery to pick in the top 3. We all know we are not bad enough to get there on our own. No one roots for loses. It's trying to see the upside IN those loses. We are not winning anything this year with how bad our bottom 6 is and our D is average at best. So hoping for a top 3 pick if we miss the playoffs is actually a good thing....because it means we won the lottery. And that asset WILL help us when we are ready to contend for something meaningful.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So apparently not being mad when they lose because it gets us closer to actually winning something important is the same thing as actively rooting for the team to lose... Ok there bud. :laugh:

PensBrony 6 9*

At least by the deadline, Hextall will have a clearer picture of where we are at.

He was referring to us winning the lottery to pick in the top 3. We all know we are not bad enough to get there on our own. No one roots for loses. It's trying to see the upside IN those loses. We are not winning anything this year with how bad our bottom 6 is and our D is average at best. So hoping for a top 3 pick if we miss the playoffs is actually a good thing....because it means we won the lottery. And that asset WILL help us when we are ready to contend for something meaningful.

What difference does it make if they get it by winning the lottery or not? Still rooting for them to lose games and miss the playoffs. I guess that went over everyone's head. Anyway, people do root for losses. The past two years have been rife with it on these boards. This year has been better but clearly some people would rather see them win the draft lottery than watch their favorite team in the playoffs. That attitude is sad to me, and it's all for picking a few spots higher for someone who is no guarantee to ever make an impact. At some point they need to learn a winning mentality, look at the oilers and sixers to see what the hfboards draft tank strategy gets you. Playing in the playoffs would be great for this team, especially if schenn and Couturier are coming into their own. Picking the next JVR at number 2 and jerking it over lineup predictions for 2020 all summer doesn't sound nearly as fun to me either.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Winning and getting to the playoffs is what we all want. Considering we are a bubble team right now, it's a nice pick me up to think that a loss also has benefit. Getting a top pick makes us so set for the future. I think we would be the clear top team in the league for a long time. Getting a mid pick makes us better and a future contender. I prefer us making the playoffs over tanking, but there are pretty big gains to be had.

This team can get hot. It couts comes back 100% and we ride neuvy more, we will be in the playoffs.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What difference does it make if they get it by winning the lottery or not? Still rooting for them to lose games and miss the playoffs. I guess that went over everyone's head. Anyway, people do root for losses. The past two years have been rife with it on these boards. This year has been better but clearly some people would rather see them win the draft lottery than watch their favorite team in the playoffs. That attitude is sad to me, and it's all for picking a few spots higher for someone who is no guarantee to ever make an impact. At some point they need to learn a winning mentality, look at the oilers and sixers to see what the hfboards draft tank strategy gets you. Playing in the playoffs would be great for this team, especially if schenn and Couturier are coming into their own. Picking the next JVR at number 2 and jerking it over lineup predictions for 2020 all summer doesn't sound nearly as fun to me either.

Well maybe you should have joined 2 years ago and complained to those people wishing we would lose.

And there is a BIG difference between finishing 3rd, and winning the lottery to get the 3rd pick. Sorry if you cannot see that. Almost everyone is MUCH happier thus year on his we are playing most nights compared to last years snoozefest.

But yeah, some people WILL rather we suck this year to get a better chance of getting Matthews who will then help us more in the future.

Personally, I can't watch a game hoping we lose, even though losing might help us better long term.

PensBrony 6 9*

Winning and getting to the playoffs is what we all want. Considering we are a bubble team right now, it's a nice pick me up to think that a loss also has benefit. Getting a top pick makes us so set for the future. I think we would be the clear top team in the league for a long time. Getting a mid pick makes us better and a future contender. I prefer us making the playoffs over tanking, but there are pretty big gains to be had.

This team can get hot. It couts comes back 100% and we ride neuvy more, we will be in the playoffs.

I really think they'd be fine with a middle 1st. Yeah, if they end up missing the playoffs winning the lottery would obviously be ideal. To say that that's the best possible outcome is a loser's mentality though, and I really hope the management doesn't feel the same way. The team is pretty much set already. Now that they've seemingly addressed the defense, they have the high end offensive talent in giroux and voracek, two good goalies...really they need another second line (minimum) lw and a decent bottom six, all of which should be available regardless of where they pick or via FA/trade. Sure, a top prospect would be a nice consolation for missing the playoffs but it isn't really necessary and in no way is it the best possible result. Some people would rather watch an imaginary team of top prospects five years from now in their heads than watch the actual team do well and play playoff hockey.

PensBrony 6 9*

Well maybe you should have joined 2 years ago and complained to those people wishing we would lose.

And there is a BIG difference between finishing 3rd, and winning the lottery to get the 3rd pick. Sorry if you cannot see that. Almost everyone is MUCH happier thus year on his we are playing most nights compared to last years snoozefest.

But yeah, some people WILL rather we suck this year to get a better chance of getting Matthews who will then help us more in the future.

Personally, I can't watch a game hoping we lose, even though losing might help us better long term.

Maybe I did but I got tired of seeing people complaining about wins in the game threads or saying that tanking was the only strategy that could garner a cup, among other things. As far as there being a difference, of course there is a difference between the two, but either way you're rooting for your team to miss the playoffs. Not only that, but I'm sure you'd want them to miss by as much as possible to give them a better shot in the lottery. Really, it's all just a thinly veiled advocation for the same thing, tanking.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I really think they'd be fine with a middle 1st. Yeah, if they end up missing the playoffs winning the lottery would obviously be ideal. To say that that's the best possible outcome is a loser's mentality though, and I really hope the management doesn't feel the same way. The team is pretty much set already. Now that they've seemingly addressed the defense, they have the high end offensive talent in giroux and voracek, two good goalies...really they need another second line (minimum) lw and a decent bottom six, all of which should be available regardless of where they pick or via FA/trade. Sure, a top prospect would be a nice consolation for missing the playoffs but it isn't really necessary and in no way is it the best possible result. Some people would rather watch an imaginary team of top prospects five years from now in their heads than watch the actual team do well and play playoff hockey.

Maybe I did but I got tired of seeing people complaining about wins in the game threads or saying that tanking was the only strategy that could garner a cup, among other things. As far as there being a difference, of course there is a difference between the two, but either way you're rooting for your team to miss the playoffs. Not only that, but I'm sure you'd want them to miss by as much as possible to give them a better shot in the lottery. Really, it's all just a thinly veiled advocation for the same thing, tanking.

Who's rooting for them to lose games? Quote the post that says that. I'll wait.

When I said that the best case scenario is getting the best pick possible I obviously meant that it would be the scenario most beneficial to the teams future and get them closer to the Cup. Everyone else in the thread seems to grasp this incredibly simple concept, except you. Nowhere did I say that I'm actively rooting for them to lose, you'd know this if you actually read the comment.

The entire goal for this team is to win the cup. That's it. Getting a high draft pick helps a lot more than getting bounced out of the playoffs in the first round. It's important to be able to look ahead, like Hextall is, instead of being nearsighted, like you are. If they had a chance to win the Cup this year then obviously it would be better to be in the playoffs, but that's not the case.

In all three of these posts that I quoted you keep making up things that nobody said. Nobody is actively rooting for losses, nobody said they should tank, nobody is complaining about wins. If you want to keep crying and making up things up then feel free to go back to Facebook or Reddit and discuss hockey with those Mensa members.

PensBrony 6 9*

Who's rooting for them to lose games? Quote the post that says that. I'll wait.

When I said that the best case scenario is getting the best pick possible I obviously meant that it would be the scenario most beneficial to the teams future and get them closer to the Cup. Everyone else in the thread seems to grasp this incredibly simple concept, except you. Nowhere did I say that I'm actively rooting for them to lose, you'd know this if you actually read the comment.

The entire goal for this team is to win the cup. That's it. Getting a high draft pick helps a lot more than getting bounced out of the playoffs in the first round. It's important to be able to look ahead, like Hextall is, instead of being nearsighted, like you are. If they had a chance to win the Cup this year then obviously it would be better to be in the playoffs, but that's not the case.

In all three of these posts that I quoted you keep making up things that nobody said. Nobody is actively rooting for losses, nobody said they should tank, nobody is complaining about wins. If you want to keep crying and making up things up then feel free to go back to Facebook or Reddit and discuss hockey with those Mensa members.

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and dumb this down for you, chief. I'll lay it out logically for you:

You said that the best possible outcome is for the flyers to miss the playoffs

Ostensibly, as a flyers fan, you want the "best possible outcome" to occur

Missing the playoffs requires the team to lose a substantial amount of games more than they win over the course of the season, making the playoffs requires the opposite

You're rooting for the "best possible outcome", which you've stated is that the flyers miss the playoffs. Missing the playoffs requires losing more often than making the playoffs, therefore you're rooting for the team to lose.

Pretty simple, right? Now if you'll go back and read my post again, I was saying people were complaining about wins in previous years. Pretty ironic that you'd imply anything about my reading skills at that point. Guess I'll see you on Facebook/Reddit then?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Alright, I'm going to go ahead and dumb this down for you, chief. I'll lay it out logically for you:

You said that the best possible outcome is for the flyers to miss the playoffs

Ostensibly, as a flyers fan, you want the "best possible outcome" to occur

Missing the playoffs requires the team to lose a substantial amount of games more than they win over the course of the season, making the playoffs requires the opposite

You're rooting for the "best possible outcome", which you've stated is that the flyers miss the playoffs. Missing the playoffs requires losing more often than making the playoffs, therefore you're rooting for the team to lose.

Pretty simple, right? Now if you'll go back and read my post again, I was saying people were complaining about wins in previous years. Pretty ironic that you'd imply anything about my reading skills at that point. Guess I'll see you on Facebook/Reddit then?

I want what's best for this teams future, if that means missing the playoffs then I'll deal with it. I don't want them to lose games, but I recognize that losing now means winning in the future so, although I'm not rooting against them, I recognize that if they do end up losing its for the best so I won't be mad either way. That's not the same thing as rooting for the team to lose or wanting them to tank, like you keep whining about. I thought this was simple enough for you to understand, apparently I overestimated you. I never said I was rooting for that outcome, only that I know it's what's best for the teams future.

And I know that you mentioned how people wanted losses in the past, but based on your last few comments you appear too dull to recognize that this isn't still occurring, otherwise you wouldn't still be crying about it.

I really don't know how all of this is too complicated for you. Nobody else in the thread is confused, just you. But hey, keep embarrassing yourself. ;)

PensBrony 6 9*

I want what's best for this teams future, if that means missing the playoffs then I'll deal with it. I don't want them to lose games, but I recognize that losing now means winning in the future so, although I'm not rooting against them, I recognize that if they do end up losing its for the best so I won't be mad either way. That's not the same thing as rooting for the team to lose or wanting them to tank, like you keep whining about. I thought this was simple enough for you to understand, apparently I overestimated you. I never said I was rooting for that outcome, only that I know it's what's best for the teams future.

And I know that you mentioned how people wanted losses in the past, but based on your last few comments you appear too dull to recognize that this isn't still occurring, otherwise you wouldn't still be crying about it.

I really don't know how all of this is too complicated for you. Nobody else in the thread is confused, just you. But hey, keep embarrassing yourself. ;)

Why don't you actually respond to what I said? The bottom line, regardless of your attempts at justifying it, is that you want them to miss the playoffs, which in turn means you want them to lose.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why don't you actually respond to what I said? The bottom line, regardless of your attempts at justifying it, is that you want them to miss the playoffs, which in turn means you want them to lose.

How can you still not get this?!? :laugh:

I didn't say I want them to miss the playoffs. I said:

I RECOGNIZE THAT MISSING THE PLAYOFFS IS THE SCENARIO THAT HELPS THEM THE MOST IN THE FUTURE. THAT MEANS THAT I WONT BE MAD IF THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS, NOT THAT THIS IS WHAT I'M HOPING/ROOTING FOR.

I want you to read this over and over until you memorize it. Then read it a few more times, then again once more. If you still don't understand it then log off until you find someone who can explain it to you.

I'll even put my original quote here for you.

I think my best case scenario for this year is now getting the highest pick possible, getting more picks at the deadline, seeing players like Giroux, Ghost, etc score as many points as possible, and then beating the Penguins on our last game of the season to cause them to miss the playoffs by 1 point. :laugh:

Then of course we move up to one of the top 3 picks through the lottery, pick an awesome player, and next year be far better with the additions of that pick, Provorov, Konecny, and whatever else happens in the offseason.

Nowhere does it say that this is what I hope happens, just that I think this is the best that we can expect considering the situation we're in.

And since repetition is good for teaching I'll repeat this yet again. I AM NOT ROOTING FOR THEM TO MISS THE PLAYOFFS.

PensBrony 6 9*

How can you still not get this?!? :laugh:

I didn't say I want them to miss the playoffs. I said:

I RECOGNIZE THAT MISSING THE PLAYOFFS IS THE SCENARIO THAT HELPS THEM THE MOST IN THE FUTURE. THAT MEANS THAT I WONT BE MAD IF THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS, NOT THAT THIS IS WHAT I'M HOPING/ROOTING FOR.

I want you to read this over and over until you memorize it. Then read it a few more times, then again once more. If you still don't understand it then log off until you find someone who can explain it to you.

I'll even put my original quote here for you.

Nowhere does it say that this is what I hope happens, just that I think this is the best that we can expect considering the situation we're in.

And since repetition is good for teaching I'll repeat this yet again. I AM NOT ROOTING FOR THEM TO MISS THE PLAYOFFS.

So you don't want your own self-professed best case scenario to occur? Brilliant logic. Nice rage, by the way. Oh, and the real best case scenario is that they sneak into the playoffs, go on a run, and win the cup rather than hang their hopes on the 5% or whatever chance they'd have at moving up that high via the lottery. Then again, I'm rooting for them to win though

Last edited by a moderator:

PensBrony 6 9*

I'm clearly being trolled here. No way anyone is this confused.

It's my own fault for trying to explain it to him. :laugh:

Seems like you're the one who's confused bro. If it's the best case scenario, why don't you want it to happen all of a sudden?

klutch

PP1 Specialist and Fat Slob
Dec 5, 2014
MD
It's not rocket science, nobody as a Flyers fan wants them to suck and lose. We have one of the most loyal and diehard fan bases in the world. BUT if we aren't going to make playoffs I'd rather suck and be better off with picks for the future. Its extremely frustrating to know we cant win a cup with this roster, let alone make playoffs, and yet sit right outside with a middle pick and watch teams take potential talent (the fins). Even more frustrating is watching potential talent year after year get taken to the Oilers to waste. Meanwhile we would have to scout hard for a steal in that middle round (not saying we can't cause we usually do). One example of a top notch pick that changed a team quickly, Aaron Ekblad. THIS YEAR I WANT AN EKBLAD VERSION OF A FORWARD. Someone who makes an impact and it would change this team quickly.. Laine, Pulj, exc. We'd be so dynamic plus the defense coming up. Ask Flyers fan in 2-3 years if we are still "rooting" to lose. That's when we push for the cup and have the cap to do it as well.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
The Flyers have been a bubble team all year. They need everything to go right to win with this D and bottom 6.

I hope they win but playoffs were neve going to be easy and are still possible.

If they aren't in a good place at the deadline, trade everything they can, and get the best draft position possible.

I have learned through painful experience that my rooting energy cannot affect the outcome. The only entity who can do that is @TweetOfGod. :)

Oh, @JJ, veterans don't really need lectures from unproven rookies on what to think or do. See: Drouin, J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad