Can we recognize MacKenzie Blackwood as an NHL starting goaltender? Or too soon?

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Today I learned that being a 23 year goalie with a 2.80GAA and a .911SV% over 50some starts in two years for an NHL bottom feeder qualifies someone as a low-end starter.

But yesterday I learned a 23 year old goalie with a 3.00GAA and a .912 SV% over 50some starts in the NHL for a bottom feeder means you are a mediocre backup and don't have starter potential (and that goalies like Jack Campbell and Cal Peterson are much better options).

Interesting...

Reactions: Cassano

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Good team or bad team...time has shown that ~60 games isn’t nearly enough to predict the long term viability of a goaltender in the starting position at the NHL level.

So no, I’m not ready to recognize it beyond saying that he’s had a good year for a goalie playing in a challenging spot.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I like a goalie to play 40+ games in the same season before labeling them a “starter” quality goalie. Lots of guys can handle 20ish games but crumble under the higher workload.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Didn’t we just go through this with Keith Kinkaid a few years ago?
Keith Kinkaid is almost 30 and was a backup for some years.

Blackwood is a prospect who came up and started immediately, in a sense

Theyre not similar in any way

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I like a goalie to play 40+ games in the same season before labeling them a “starter” quality goalie. Lots of guys can handle 20ish games but crumble under the higher workload.
Hes almost there! Already has 30+ this year

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
you are what you are, nobody has to christen you with a sword. if he starts games in the nhl and it looks like he could be doing that a long time, that's awesome. don't worry so much about what other people believe about him. regardless of what we think, fans around the league see a lot more than we think they do and they hold certain players in higher esteem than they let on. blackwood is a fantastic young goalie.

Reactions: DVision44

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
What a shame that Shero took so long to pull the trigger on firing Hynes. Devils could actually be having a decent season right now and still have Hall

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Today I learned that being a 23 year goalie with a 2.80GAA and a .911SV% over 50some starts in two years for an NHL bottom feeder qualifies someone as a low-end starter.

But yesterday I learned a 23 year old goalie with a 3.00GAA and a .912 SV% over 50some starts in the NHL for a bottom feeder means you are a mediocre backup and don't have starter potential (and that goalies like Jack Campbell and Cal Peterson are much better options).

Interesting...

Blackwood is a more talented player than Georgiyev, and he's been given a bigger role than Georgiyev. Georgiyev has never been the starter, and his numbers have still went down every season of his career as he's played more games. Blackwood is already the #1 on the Devils, and towards the end of last season was probably their #1 goalie. Georgiyev has first two seasons got easier matchups than Hank, and the defense played better in front of him. He also never clearly outplayed him. This season, Hank has been the better of the two, and neither has been all that good.

I don't think there's a huge difference between the two. Blackwood probably projects somewhere between an average and slightly above-average starter, while Georgiyev probably projects somewhere between a slightly below-average and average starter.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Blackwood is a more talented player than Georgiyev, and he's been given a bigger role than Georgiyev. Georgiyev has never been the starter, and his numbers have still went down every season of his career as he's played more games. Blackwood is already the #1 on the Devils, and towards the end of last season was probably their #1 goalie. Georgiyev has first two seasons got easier matchups than Hank, and the defense played better in front of him. He also never clearly outplayed him. This season, Hank has been the better of the two, and neither has been all that good.

I don't think there's a huge difference between the two. Blackwood probably projects somewhere between an average and slightly above-average starter, while Georgiyev probably projects somewhere between a slightly below-average and average starter.

That was my point... One has a generally positive thread on being proposed as a possible quality NHL starter with nearly identical stats to the other who, apparently, is a mediocre-at-best backup to be tossed around in name like Jack Campbell territory.

I think both have proven over their nearly 60 NHL games to have promise of being more than capable starters, but both need to show it a bit longer. Was only remarking at the stark differences in comments between the two, when it's really quite close.

Exciting times for that division with Hart, Georgie/Shesty, Blackwood, Samsonov, and Sorokin (I'm sure I've missed at least one) being young NHL starting caliber goalies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I've been a fan since day one. The one thing I think he needs to work on is giving up goals super early in the game or late in periods. I think there's just a little focus issue or something. But no complaints the last 2 games. ;)

Reactions: Swiss Prodigy

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Was only remarking at the stark differences in comments between the two

If you really think the comments in both threads are different, you're looking for a fight that's not there.

I see good and bad comments (plenty of each) in both threads.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've been a fan since day one. The one thing I think he needs to work on is giving up goals super early in the game or late in periods. I think there's just a little focus issue or something. But no complaints the last 2 games. ;)

this has been a trend for this team all year no matter the goalie.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I think hed be a Stater on a few teams. Also think hes the type of goalie where if any contending teams #1 went down they would definitely feel comfortable having him in

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think the Devils will sign Jake Allenin the offseason. Him and Brodeur have a friendship

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I think the Devils will sign Jake Allenin the offseason. Him and Brodeur have a friendship

I can see that. Devils need a capable backup. Blackwood can't play every game. Schneider is shot, backup goalie is a mess. Devils owners have said they expect to be much better next year. That starts with goaltending, then the defense.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Allen is contracted for another season. There is no reason why St Louis will buy him out when he has been performing well in a backup role this season.

Devils have no reason to trade for him, when there are capable backup goalies on the free agent market, that they can sign for a cheaper cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad