Can we recognize MacKenzie Blackwood as an NHL starting goaltender? Or too soon?

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
MacKenzie has 55 games started in the last two seasons - overall record of 26-22-7 with a .911 sv% and a 2.80 GAA

While his stats arent necessarily impressive by themselves - lets remember he just turned 23 and plays for the New Jersey Devils, the 3rd worst team in the league when you include record over the last season and a half.

MacKenzie is athletically gifted, has great vision, and a very quick glove. He has maintained a positive record behind a BAD team and even has four shutouts to show.

Ive seen talk about guys like Carter Hart and Thatcher Demko - but I dont see a lot about my boy Blackwood.

Is it about time he gets some love?

Last edited:

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
MacKenzie has 55 games started in the last two seasons - overall record of 26-22 with a .911 sv% and a 2.80 GAA

While his stats arent necessarily impressive by themselves - lets remember he just turned 23 and plays for the New Jersey Devils, the 3rd worst team in the league when you include record over the last season and a half.

MacKenzie is athletically gifted, has great vision, and a very quick glove. He has maintained a positive record behind a BAD team and even has four shutouts to show.

Ive seen talk about guys like Carter Hart and Thatcher Demko - but I dont see a lot about my boy Blackwood.

You left out that 7 part. 26-22-7. Or 26-29.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
You left out that 7 part. 26-22-7. Or 26-29.
Well you certainly wouldnt combine them as pure losses, at least not in my opinion

But yes youre right I forgot them, Ill add them now

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
He's the starter for the Devils, who play in the NHL, so that's all that's needed to recognise him as a starter in the NHL.

Just like Sheldon Keefe is a head coach in the NHL.
Well I was certainly implying past that

Are you saying you dont think Blackwood and Keefe are deserving of their positions?

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
A loss is a loss. It doesn't count as a win.
Yes but for goaltenders (and for NHL stat-keeping and standings), overtime/shootout losses are much better than a regulation loss.

26-22-7 is accurate while Id say 26-29 is deceptive.

I call 26-22-7 a positive record

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Well I was certainly implying past that

Are you saying you dont think Blackwood and Keefe are deserving of their positions?
Not at all. Just that being a starter in itself is not a measure of ability. It's a matter of fact.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Not at all. Just that being a starter in itself is not a measure of ability. It's a matter of fact.
Fair enough

I suppose I could have clarified past the literal term of ‘starter’

If I asked how you think he is, what would you say?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yes but for goaltenders (and for NHL stat-keeping and standings), overtime/shootout losses are much better than a regulation loss.

26-22-7 is accurate while Id say 26-29 is deceptive.

I call 26-22-7 a positive record
Wins/losses don't tell anything about goalies, especially for those playing in New Jersey. 26-22-7 is not that bad when you consider the team.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
MacKenzie has 55 games started in the last two seasons - overall record of 26-22-7 with a .911 sv% and a 2.80 GAA

He's showed a lot of improvement.....Whether or not he will be a true shut down no 1 goalie remains to be seen but the arrow is definitely pointing up....but they need to keep taking one every draft if they can draft one they like in later rounds.....they ignored it too long with Schneider there..

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
just about the best thing to happen to the devils this year. hes the starting goalie of now and the future

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It depends on what you consider a starting goalie. Does he play a starting role on an NHL team? Yes? Then he's technically a starting goalie. Is he a goalie that a good team (imagine they lose their goalie for an entire year for some reason) would look at and think "he's a guy we want starting the majority of our games"? No? Then he's not a starter based off skill.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
He is very inconsistent but the current Devils situation with regards to coaching and D in front of him are a large contributing factor about the inconsistent play.

I still wouldn't yet lock him in as a bonafide starter yet. I know that he is performing this role and doing a good job considering his youth, but he is kind of no. 1 only by default because Schneider fell off a cliff with his injuries and Domingue is not a great alternative. I would want to see him put up another season as a no. 1 and improve his stats, before I would call him a bonafide NHL starter.

Devils will be looking for another goaltender in the offseason. It will be interesting to see what direction they go, if they go all out and get an established no. 1 like Lehner or opt for a veteran backup who could perhaps split starts like Greiss.

It is probably the latter (Greiss option) because if they sign a Lehner type goalie who wants to be a no. 1, then that would result in Blackwood potentially left exposed in expansion draft.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
He is very inconsistent but the current Devils situation with regards to coaching and D in front of him are a large contributing factor about the inconsistent play.

I still wouldn't yet lock him in as a bonafide starter yet. I know that he is performing this role and doing a good job considering his youth, but he is kind of no. 1 only by default because Schneider fell off a cliff with his injuries and Domingue is not a great alternative. I would want to see him put up another season as a no. 1 and improve his stats, before I would call him a bonafide NHL starter.

Devils will be looking for another goaltender in the offseason. It will be interesting to see what direction they go, if they go all out and get an established no. 1 like Lehner or opt for a veteran backup who could perhaps split starts like Greiss.

It is probably the latter (Greiss option) because if they sign a Lehner type goalie who wants to be a no. 1, then that would result in Blackwood potentially left exposed in expansion draft.
Im curious if you mean inconsistent as it his statistics or his actual play?

Because I see him as very consistent, especially for a 23 year old in his actual play. When he is making a mistake its usually not a bunch at once. He rebounds well.

I get statistically though he is very inconsistent - id blame the team for a lot of that.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not sure about this topic. Is he a starter? Sure. Where does he rank out of 31 starters though? Probably not high. He has tons of upside still though and will move up that list over time.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
He's got that prototypical 6'4" frame and moves well in his crease. I never thought he'd make it as a starter, but he keeps getting better!

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Im curious if you mean inconsistent as it his statistics or his actual play?

Because I see him as very consistent, especially for a 23 year old in his actual play. When he is making a mistake its usually not a bunch at once. He rebounds well.

I get statistically though he is very inconsistent - id blame the team for a lot of that.
Actual play. Which then causes his statistics to look bad. Again not completely blaming him due to the team in front of him.

He probably averages 2-3 quality starts in a row before having a bad 3rd/4th start. He'll get consistency when he starts stringing multiple quality starts in a row. His month of December was very good. More of that needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad