Can we Realistically Strip the C From Phanuef?

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I don't think were in any position to say who or shouldn't be captain. We don't know what goes on in that dressing room. He may not be highly regarded by the fans but he may be in that dressing room.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
i don't think it's fair to completely blame phaneuf.
phaneuf was a stud very early on in the season.
the main problem is that the leafs have way too many offensive defensemen shored up on the blueline. this forces carlyle to play phaneuf excessively. he's on the ice to protect leads, kill penalties, help produce the tying or go-ahead-goal. who else are the leafs going to put out on the ice to protect a lead in the third period? cody franson? i'm pretty sure if the leafs had someone on the team to eat minutes like boumweester or a vlasic, phaneuf wouldn't be chastised the way he is.

he's been overplayed and is now prolly burnt out.

:laugh: Not even top 30 (32th) for TOI/G and he did not play in the Olympics. Yeah he must have really burnt out... :shakehead

Is Leafs and the Leafs players the only ones some Leafs fans have any idea about?

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
It's not happening.

He's the captain for the next 7 years.

Let that sink in.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
All of the stupid in this thread hurts my brain.

It's almost like people think Dion is going somewhere.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Are you kidding? or are you serious?

Bozo a captain? :laugh:

WOW

One player has choked in must-win games, the other hasn't.

That isn't to say Bozak should be captain but Phaneuf's play leaves a lot to be desired. For one, while watching him take the faceoff I wondered, can be even bend forwards? Or even his knees? It might help him win net front battles against powerful scorers like Steen and the like.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
i don't think it's fair to completely blame phaneuf.
phaneuf was a stud very early on in the season.
the main problem is that the leafs have way too many offensive defensemen shored up on the blueline. this forces carlyle to play phaneuf excessively. he's on the ice to protect leads, kill penalties, help produce the tying or go-ahead-goal. who else are the leafs going to put out on the ice to protect a lead in the third period? cody franson? i'm pretty sure if the leafs had someone on the team to eat minutes like boumweester or a vlasic, phaneuf wouldn't be chastised the way he is.

he's been overplayed and is now prolly burnt out.

Yep. His role's been usurped by Franson. It would be amazing to clone Gunnarsson and put him in the slot Franson leaves when he's booted out.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I can't help but laugh at the thought we can't take something from a hockey player. Is he a baby? Does he need a diaper change? Maybe someone to hold his hand? Take the thing from him. If he cries trade his ass. The idea that somehow we need to worry about what other players would think signing here when anyone with any sort of winning spirit would look at this team as doing what it takes to rid itself of dead weight and be happy they wouldn't have to put up with **** like that. Ever think that maybe the fact we never do that is why we can't lure great free agents?

DaveT83*

Honestly this team has all the dysfunction on the ice - but where is it off the ice?

I want to see fights at practise.
I want to see teammates publicly calling each other out (Reimer gets a ton of respect for doing it earlier in year)

After the games its all fun and games. Ping Pong. Xbox. Parties.
Management/Ownership appears to be 100% OK with this. So I can't really blame certain characters for relishing in this role. Honestly these guys aren't even taking advantage of anyone. Their paid HUGE amounts of money have zero accountability. Have total JOB SECURITY.

If you aren't interested in winning, evolving, perfecting your craft - this is a dream situation for any employee in any industry.

Changing the Status Quo would mean giving up all these freedoms. The players on this roster aren't going to just get up one day and collectively decide they will change it. Never gonna happen.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Jay McClement would be the only guy that I give the C to.

He gives you a consistent effort and you trust him in mostly all situations.

It doesn't matter if he isn't your best player, the point of the captain is to lead by example.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Jay McClement would be the only guy that I give the C to.

He gives you a consistent effort and you trust him in mostly all situations.

It doesn't matter if he isn't your best player, the point of the captain is to lead by example.

Tyler Bozak and Carl Gunnarrsson exhibit these traits as well and its unarguable.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Wait for this man who happens to become a FA on the 50th anniversary of our last cup win.

#saviour

StamkosLeafs.jpg

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Brian Burke had said plenty of times that Phaneuf was an instant hit in the locker room and brought a fresh voice to the team when he was acquired. He had also said Phaneuf when he was still new was telling Burke what the team needed to be better, and that no player (including captains of any of his other teams) had ever done that to him before.

For a 24 year old at the time to show that kind of initiative to your GM, looking at his body of work in Calgary, and also his potential, what else could they have been looking for? It was the right choice at the time and I still believe it is today.

As for him being the worst player during this stretch? Where has Kessel been? Where has Kadri been? Lupul? Bozak? Kulemin? Clarkson? How about Bernier since being back from injury? I can agree that the St. Louis game was one of Phaneuf's worst games as a Leaf, but the entire team as a whole has been bad.

That's a terribly low standard for picking a captain. And he was telling Burke what we needed to get better? Well I guess that explains why this team has been so bad

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I'd normally agree with you. But Tim is a wildcard.

I needs to be done. Let's see how much testicular fortitude big bad Tim really has

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Title says is all... Can we, just like Roberto Louongo

Or is it a different situation here?

Thoughts?

I don't think "we" can, that's up to the organization. Phaneuf probably isn't the best captain, the C was kind of thrown at him before he even arrived in Toronto and there wasn't even a consideration taken. The C probably should go to JVR, but we can't do that, the Leafs have to.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I'd normally agree with you. But Tim is a wildcard.

I needs to be done. Let's see how much testicular fortitude big bad Tim really has

He is but I don't see Nonis being fired this season, obviously it's possible but I think he has a season left to prove himself.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't want the C stripped off, i want him OFF the team. Remember, his new contract has not even started, if he is bad now, how would he be after 7 years ? 7 FREAKING YEARS

:laugh: He isn't even close to "bad"

My god, this board is absolutely ridiculous right now....

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

I know lol, this thread specifically is filled with the worst type of posters all in one place. On the other hand, can't blame some people, this is a major collapse and people want change.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France

He isn't close to ''good'' either !! Stop being narrow minded (not you) if Dion is the leafs best Dman, then get ready to suck for at least the next 7 years :help:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
JVR and Bozak IMO come across as possibly the best "leaders" on the team. They both seem to handle the media pretty well, don't seem to get as frustrated as some other guys. Lupul to a certain extent as well, but I want that guy traded so it don't matter anyways ;)

As for actually stripping the C? It's very rare. Marleau had his C taken away and he stayed on the team. That was in an obscure SJ market though, here it would be a media frenzy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad