Can we Realistically Strip the C From Phanuef?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
My proposal: Trade the loser while Edmonton's management is still bad. We could lure them into thinking Phaneuf is great and he'll become the next Chara playing for his hometown team and we get their 2015 pick somehow.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It would need to be a mutual decision.

If the new coach approaches him to talk about it, and he agrees and has no issue with it, sure.

However, who would we give it too? No one else is deserving of it either. Can't just take it from him and leave it vacated IMO

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga

If the new coach approaches him to talk about it, and he agrees and has no issue with it, sure.

However, who would we give it too? No one else is deserving of it either. Can't just take it from him and leave it vacated IMO

Carleton the bear

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
My proposal: Trade the loser while Edmonton's management is still bad. We could lure them into thinking Phaneuf is great and he'll become the next Chara playing for his hometown team and we get their 2015 pick somehow.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing except it would be for a lot less. Dion's ntc clause kicks in this summer and there are not a lot of teams looking for a 49 million dollar guy who has significant defensive zone issues

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Why not?

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
for sure....message needs to be sent, certain players (Clarkson) need to see the game from upstairs. C needs to be earned not given!!! He has no trade clause i think so him askign for a trade will only benefit the Leafs!!!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Take the C from Phaneuf and give it to Clarkson.

It may fool people into thinking he has intangibles like Steve Ott, and then we trade him too and give it to McDavid. :sarcasm:

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Ok, I haven't really been watching games since I've had an incredibly busy March, but has Phaneuf really been that bad to demand that he be traded immediately? I'm sure there's a legit reason why he's dropped off the cliff so badly in only 8 games. What's happened that made everyone turn on him so quickly?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Take it from him, he's failed to deliver.

Give it to Kessel or Bozak, or trade for a leader.

I'm sure Phaneuf will be satisfied with his millions even if someone else has to manage the music.

leafstilldeath*

Only player that may be captain material with the leafs is Dave Bolland

everybody else is a friggen moron

leafstilldeath*

Take it from him, he's failed to deliver.

Give it to Kessel or Bozak, or trade for a leader.

I'm sure Phaneuf will be satisfied with his millions even if someone else has to manage the music.

Are you kidding? or are you serious?

Bozo a captain? :laugh:

WOW

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So you'd rather someone who clearly can't handle being captain nor deserves it to remain captain just because you don't agree with it being vacant. Got it.

When I was in hockey, I always refused to wear the C, because whenever I had it on, I would start overthinking the game, and trying to do too much. I always wore an A other then the one season the coach forced me to wear the C and it was my worst season.

I think Dion is similar, and that he would be better without it.

However, to say he doesn't deserve it is just ********. You, I, nor anybody else has a clue what he is like in the room. Players constantly say they love him as a captain. He is have a stretch of bad games, but so is the whole team. He was great, and playing arguably his best hockey as a Leaf before the Olympic Break.

So yes, maybe he can't "handle it" but none of us can say he doesn't deserve it.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

I'm scared as hell that idiots like Lowe and Mact will make this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad