Can we now finally retire Kolzig and Bondra's numbers?

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
might catch crap but Ive always thought Labre and Hunter shouldnt be up there. Shouldnt get your number retired for just being well liked/fan favorite. Hunter has to be in the running for worst player to hit a 1000 pts and when people talk of him its always about his goonery and massive pims.

Why not unretire all the numbers and just do an Honored Jersey in the rafters and really crack down on the criteria. 500 goal scorers=yes. Karl Alzners=no even tho fan favorite/well liked.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I had assumed both were retired within a few years of their career. I'm frankly shocked they aren't even making plans. That's ludicrous.

For comparison, Lehtinen on the Stars, all Canucks numbers.

Sure, Panthers haven't retired The Beezer yet but Capitals have 4 player numbers retired so they aren't playing coy.

Food for thought on here:
Bondra has most goals on 1 team without having number retired/honoured.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
how many 500 goal scorers are not in the hall of fame?

The Caps need a Caps ring of fame or something so that all time great Caps are acknowledged but not # retired. That should be reserved for hall of famers. 5 and 11. 8 and 19 when its their time. 32 and 37 belong in the team honors. 12 belongs in the hall of fame IMO

Reactions: Corby78

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
how many 500 goal scorers are not in the hall of fame?

The Caps need a Caps ring of fame or something so that all time great Caps are acknowledged but not # retired. That should be reserved for hall of famers. 5 and 11. 8 and 19 when its their time. 32 and 37 belong in the team honors. 12 belongs in the hall of fame IMO
There are 45 men who have scored 500 or more goals. 4 of those 45 are still "active" (Jagr, Ovechkin, Hossa, Marleau).

Of the remaining 41 only 5 are not in the HOF. Bondra, Roenick, Turgeon, Tkachuk, and Verbeek.

Bondra is in elite company, he deserves his number retired. He will not make the HoF but I don't see what that has to do with number retirement. The HoF is to honor individual performance, number retirement honors individual contribution to a singular team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There are 45 men who have scored 500 or more goals. 4 of those 45 are still "active" (Jagr, Ovechkin, Hossa, Marleau).

Of the remaining 41 only 5 are not in the HOF. Bondra, Roenick, Turgeon, Tkachuk, and Verbeek.

Bondra is in elite company, he deserves his number retired. He will not make the HoF but I don't see what that has to do with number retirement. The HoF is to honor individual performance, number retirement honors individual contribution to a singular team.

Its the bar you have to clear. My view is that a number retirement is for a hall of fame level player. Not a team hall of famer. The Redskins have a ring of fame that Dale Hunter and Kolzig and maybe Calle Johansson level players belong in. Is Turgeon's number retired? I think retired numbers should be rare. Only for an all time great. But that is why we have these conversations. The Caps have 4 numbers retired without winning a cup. Retiring more only adds to the banner problem. 8 and 19 will for sure be added in time. That is 6. Bondra is borderline hall of fame. I think he is borderline for retirement.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
What is this "banner problem" people keep talking about? Are we restricted in how many banners we can put up? Is the NHL going to fine us for putting up to many non-cup related items? Will other fans think its dumb and think less of us? (kinda too late for that one) The banners are for us. For the franchise. While I agree we should have enough pride in ourselves not to have "attendance records" hanging up there, not putting a #12 in the rafters because "we already have 4" seems dumb.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Its the bar you have to clear. My view is that a number retirement is for a hall of fame level player. Not a team hall of famer. The Redskins have a ring of fame that Dale Hunter and Kolzig and maybe Calle Johansson level players belong in. Is Turgeon's number retired? I think retired numbers should be rare. Only for an all time great. But that is why we have these conversations. The Caps have 4 numbers retired without winning a cup. Retiring more only adds to the banner problem. 8 and 19 will for sure be added in time. That is 6. Bondra is borderline hall of fame. I think he is borderline for retirement.

Again, I dont see the issue with retiring numbers for players that really "own" a number for a franchise. 5, 12, 37. All of those are truly owned by Langway, Bondra, and Kolzig. Has anyone even used those numbers since? Honest question?

We will certainly see it for 8. Maybe 19...and further down, 70, 74, or 92. We will see.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Again, I dont see the issue with retiring numbers for players that really "own" a number for a franchise. 5, 12, 37. All of those are truly owned by Langway, Bondra, and Kolzig. Has anyone even used those numbers since? Honest question?

We will certainly see it for 8. Maybe 19...and further down, 70, 74, or 92. We will see.

Well...I guess its a matter of how special you want it to be. Why not Ridley and Stevens and Hatcher or Dino? Bengt?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Well...I guess its a matter of how special you want it to be. Why not Ridley and Stevens and Hatcher or Dino? Bengt?

Now you are just being a little argumentative.

Stevens had most of his success elsewhere. heck, Cote is as much #3 for me as Stevens....and we had Rouse.

Ridley was a really good player....but you cant put him on the same plane as the 3 I mentioned. Plus Simon did some good w 17 too. Dino? He's a Northstar. Hatcher is someone to think about....but you cant put him ahead of 5/12/37.

Bengt was fine. But again....how could you put him ahead of 5/12/37? Johansson is the one that is a hard decision. Leader in all time games as a Cap. Thats something.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Eric Lindros just had his number retired by the Flyers, hold onto your butts when you look at these numbers.
Eric Lindros #88
Dated # Retired: 01/18/2018
Years w/ Flyers: 8
GP w/ Flyers: 486
Goals: 290
Assists: 369
Notable Accomplishments: 8 time All Star, Hart Memorial 1995, Lester B Pearson 1996

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What is this "banner problem" people keep talking about? Are we restricted in how many banners we can put up? Is the NHL going to fine us for putting up to many non-cup related items? Will other fans think its dumb and think less of us? (kinda too late for that one) The banners are for us. For the franchise. While I agree we should have enough pride in ourselves not to have "attendance records" hanging up there, not putting a #12 in the rafters because "we already have 4" seems dumb.

fwiw leonsis said a few years ago no more banners or anything til a cup banner goes up

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
fwiw leonsis said a few years ago no more banners or anything til a cup banner goes up

DKXHOFTXkAAfh-N.jpg

When did he say that? Seems like the banners are pretty up to date.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
DKXHOFTXkAAfh-N.jpg

When did he say that? Seems like the banners are pretty up to date.

No new banners, didn't say he couldn't update them lol

But like i said that was 2-3 years ago, whether or not that still stands i don't know but it could be the reason

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
No new banners, didn't say he couldn't update them lol

But like i said that was 2-3 years ago, whether or not that still stands i don't know but it could be the reason

Not arguing with you, because I know you aren't the one who said it. But what is the difference between updating a banner with an additional year and a new banner? The entire thing seems stupid to me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
When you’re a franchise with no storied history to speak of or celebrate, you hang some lame banners because you’re grasping for anything. It’s sad, but it’s the Caps.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
They update them but correct me if I’m wrong they’ve not held any pregame ceremonies for those sinceTed made that statement of no more banners.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
When you’re a franchise with no storied history to speak of or celebrate, you hang some lame banners because you’re grasping for anything. It’s sad, but it’s the Caps.
So the Caps turn their nose at the only legitimate history they have? Makes sense.

I might be in the minority but I don't think there is anything embarrassing about teams hanging banners for winning the division or Presidents trophy, most teams do this.

Reactions: Corby78

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s all legit, but is it all banner worthy? Honestly? If they have any more division name changes this is going to be INSANE! ;)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It would be interesting to know if 12 and 37 are available to current players? 12 has been worn post Bondra but only once and right after Bondra left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad