Can we now finally retire Kolzig and Bondra's numbers?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
It has been 9 years since the Washington Capitals last retired a number, in that time many fans have asked the question why have Olaf Kolzig and Peter Bondra not yet been honored and if that time will actually come? Below is an examination of the cases of both players and whether they deserve the honor.

Reviewing the Past

To understand if Bondra and Kolzig make the cut it's important to establish what standards have been used to retire numbers. The Washington Capitals currently have four numbers retired, below are the players in order of retirement accompanied by their stats with the team. It's important to remember stats only tell one part of the story, for many of these players their contributions to the team require the context surrounding the team during their duration (Labre) or the understanding of the intangibles they offered (Hunter).

Yvon Labre #7
Dated # Retired: 11/22/1980
Years w/ Caps: 7
GP w/ Caps: 334
Goals: 12
Assists: 84
Notable Accomplishments: Member of inaugural team, team captain from 76-78

Rod Langway #5
Dated # Retired: 11/26/1997
Years w/ Caps: 11
GP w/ Caps: 726
Goals: 25
Assists: 177
Notable Accomplishments: 6 time All-Star w/ Caps, 2 time Norris winner, finished top 5 in Hart voting twice, Captain from 82-93, HOF inductee

Dale Hunter #32
Dated # Retired: 03/11/2000
Years w/ Caps: 12
GP w/ Caps: 872
Goals: 181
Assists: 375
Notable Accomplishments: 1 Time All-Star, 2nd Most Penalty Minutes in NHL history, captain from 94-99

Mike Gartner #11
Dated # Retired: 12/28/2008
Years w/ Caps: 10
GP w/ Caps: 758
Goals: 397
Assists: 392
Notable Accomplishments: 6 time All Star while w/ Capitals, one of only 7 players w/ 700 career goals, HOF inductee, owner of multiple team records.

Making the Case

Peter Bondra #12
Dated # Retired: N/A
Years w/ Caps: 14
GP w/ Caps: 961
Goals: 472
Assists: 353
Notable Accomplishments: 5 time All-Star, IIHF HOF, multiple team records, league leader in goals in '95 and '98

Olaf Kolzig #37
Dated # Retired: N/A
Years w/ Caps: 16
GP w/ Caps: 711
Wins: 301
SV%: .906
GAA: 2.7
Notable Accomplishments: King Clancy Award winner, Vezina winner, 2 time All-Star

Analysis

Contributions to the Organization

It's hard to ignore the fact that both Bondra and Kolzig was mainstays during arguably the Capitals second most competitive run. From 1990-2002 the Capitals failed to qualify for the playoffs only twice. During this impressive run we would see the team rise to heights we have yet seen them return to, a Stanley Cup Final. In that run Bondra would have 12 Pos in 17 GP including 2 GWG's. Kolzig would post an amazing 1.95 GAA a .941 SV %, and who could forget him standing on his head and out shining the Dominator in the Easter Conference Final? If you're looking for guys who came up big when it mattered these guys were there.

Context to the Competition

This is when we talk about the Labre problem. Yvonn's number was retired after the team had only been in existence for 6 years. His statistics don't hold the water well and as time goes on the move seems more and more like the attempt of a flailing organization to inject some artificial prestige and tradition into the organization. It's hard to hold the competition discussion because outside of being one of the fan favorites on a very bad Capitals team and being here for the inception, not a lot of guys wouldn't be Labre in a "stats-off". That all said, we don't really need to worry about Labre dragging the standards down because when you look at Bondra and Kolzig's stats they stand up on their own compared to the more deserving competition. Both men are the two most tenure players on this list, for the most part they spent their entire careers with the Capitals. Kolzig owned just about every single Capitals goaltending record until Holtby showed up, and while that alone is impress the duration of his consistency is really what stands out the most.

Bondra's numbers are where the real glaring oversight begins to pop. Gartner and Langway are both HOFers but a decent portion of their HOF resume's came with other teams. Bondra is a guy who will likely end up in the Hall of the Very, Very, Very Good, but the vast majority of his numbers came during his time in DC. He put together a fringe HOF career and it happened all in the nations capital.

Conclusion

The Capitals really whiffed hard, this is the 20th anniversary of the 97-98 ECF team, a better opportunity to retire these numbers really doesn't exist. Both guys are clear retirements, the numbers, context, competition all have them near the top. It's time for the Capitals to get on top of this.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Labre: While Labre was around during the one capitals era I wasn't a fan during, I understand the desire to put 7 in the rafters. It looks lame now and its not something I think the organization is very proud of, but he was a fan favorite and he is a part of our history. You can't take it back now so it stands, but I agree, we shouldn't use him as an example of what to do.

Langway/Gartner/Hunter: All great players, all great caps, they deserve it.

Bondra: He needs to be recognized. And I think its a shame it hasn't been done because I think people are forgetting about him as years go by. He was the Gartner of the 90's. He led the team during our one big run in the playoffs. He killed penalties, he was on the PP, he did a ton. After 40+ years we have had 3 big time goal scorers. One is in the rafters, the second will be, Bondra needs to join them.

Kolzig: Olaf is a bit tougher for me. He owns almost every goalie record for the club. He has outstanding for the finals run, and played his career here (outside 8 games in TB). My issue is he has many records on a team that has had only 2 goalies worth talking about. Carey had the one good year, Beaupre wasn't here very long, nor Peters, nor Jensen, nor Riggins. Holtby is going to smoke Kolzig and do it in half the time. While he was a staple here in DC, his numbers look very average looking outside the team. He was a great ambassador while here, but his coaching here flopped. As long as Holtby doesn't get hurt I expect him to be in the rafters first.

I would not be upset if Kolzig was added, but if we could only get one up there before 8/19 it would have to be 12. Of course I also never found out why it took till 2008 to retire #11, so maybe it there is still hope.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I have no problem with either number being retired. I did have a but if a problem when they retired number 32. Didnt like him when he was in Quebec. Tried to like him as a Cap but the Turgeon incident made it difficult. I also didnt really like the trade. Quebec/ Colorado got the better of the deal in the long run.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The fact they have a couple numbers in the rafter that probably shouldn't be up there shouldn't stop players who legitimately deserve it from being up in the rafters. Bondra deserves his number retired, beyond any shadow of a doubt. There's some debate on Kolzig, but he probably should be up there too.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
fwiw and this was a long time ago, leonsis basically said no retired numbers til they win the cup. basically was tired of the banners hanging like division champs etc

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
fwiw and this was a long time ago, leonsis basically said no retired numbers til they win the cup. basically was tired of the banners hanging like division champs etc

I fear he might have to go back on his words and hang #8 and #19 from the rafters before he hangs a Stanley Cup banner...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
pg2_g_mystics_banner02_576.jpg

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I fear he might have to go back on his words and hang #8 and #19 from the rafters before he hangs a Stanley Cup banner...
Why is everyone so negative? We just assume that we won't win a cup. It is a very difficult task to complete. A lot more difficult now that at any other time.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Bondra was my favorite player growing up, and is still my second favorite Cap all time after Ovie, but I wouldn't retire his number. Just because they had low standards in the past doesn't mean they should going forward.

Retire 8, absolutely. Probably 19. No one else.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why is everyone so negative? We just assume that we won't win a cup. It is a very difficult task to complete. A lot more difficult now that at any other time.

There is really not a lot of time left. I hope we pull it off within the next 2-3 years before Ovi and Nick's contracts expire.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

This is dumb. Retired numbers don’t have anything to do with cups. He has no problem hanging the div titles and president trophy banners. If he wanted to make a real point he would stop hanging up regular season banners till we win it all.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Bondra was my favorite player growing up, and is still my second favorite Cap all time after Ovie, but I wouldn't retire his number. Just because they had low standards in the past doesn't mean they should going forward.

Bondra is a low standard? Go look across the league and guys who have a number in the rafters and get back with me.

Reactions: WingsFan95

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

I really don't understand where the bar is if you're saying Bondra is low standards. Bondra isn't a HOFer, but his resume certainly lends itself to at least the argument.

I mean hell, if you have Backstrom barely making it I'm not really certain what you want. When all is said and done Ovechkin and Backstrom will own almost every single record for what is a 40+ year old franchise.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Labre: While Labre was around during the one capitals era I wasn't a fan during, I understand the desire to put 7 in the rafters. It looks lame now and its not something I think the organization is very proud of, but he was a fan favorite and he is a part of our history. You can't take it back now so it stands, but I agree, we shouldn't use him as an example of what to do.

Langway/Gartner/Hunter: All great players, all great caps, they deserve it.

Bondra: He needs to be recognized. And I think its a shame it hasn't been done because I think people are forgetting about him as years go by. He was the Gartner of the 90's. He led the team during our one big run in the playoffs. He killed penalties, he was on the PP, he did a ton. After 40+ years we have had 3 big time goal scorers. One is in the rafters, the second will be, Bondra needs to join them.

Kolzig: Olaf is a bit tougher for me. He owns almost every goalie record for the club. He has outstanding for the finals run, and played his career here (outside 8 games in TB). My issue is he has many records on a team that has had only 2 goalies worth talking about. Carey had the one good year, Beaupre wasn't here very long, nor Peters, nor Jensen, nor Riggins. Holtby is going to smoke Kolzig and do it in half the time. While he was a staple here in DC, his numbers look very average looking outside the team. He was a great ambassador while here, but his coaching here flopped. As long as Holtby doesn't get hurt I expect him to be in the rafters first.

I would not be upset if Kolzig was added, but if we could only get one up there before 8/19 it would have to be 12. Of course I also never found out why it took till 2008 to retire #11, so maybe it there is still hope.
To me this is why context to importance to the club is important. Kolzig was a constant this team leaned on for over a decade, him not standing up next Holtby's resume really shouldn't be a knock. Consider what he meant to the club, the outside comparisons aren't everything.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Ya Khristich should have him number retired.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
At least we can say thank you for 32 in the rafters.
If not, Ovi would play with that number
Great 32 doesn't sound as good as Great 8

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I think Bondra should be roofed. Love Kolzig too, but you cant ice all the numbers.

Would propably be better if there should be a tradition that numbers will be iced for 50 or 100 years or something like that, then they would remove the number out of the jersey and just leave it on the roof with a name on it. Would allow more guys to get recognized by their respected franchise. Franchise "wall of fame" would be ok too, for guys like Kolzig.

#7 and #32 are part of the franchise history, no matter what the standards were/are. Lets respect that aswell and not go into bashing the players.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think Bondra should be roofed. Love Kolzig too, but you cant ice all the numbers.

Would propably be better if there should be a tradition that numbers will be iced for 50 or 100 years or something like that, then they would remove the number out of the jersey and just leave it on the roof with a name on it. Would allow more guys to get recognized by their respected franchise. Franchise "wall of fame" would be ok too, for guys like Kolzig.

#7 and #32 are part of the franchise history, no matter what the standards were/are. Lets respect that aswell and not go into bashing the players.
7 was an original member so I'll give him a pass but honestly what did 32 really do that was so great for this team. We didnt win anything while he was here and the year we did get close it was Kolzig that got us there. 32 didnt exactly put up big numbers unless you count pim. If he is in because he was part of our history then you have to add guys like Calle Johansson and Gustafsson and maybe some others. Hunter was involved in possibly the worst moment in Caps history. And we retire his number?

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
7 was an original member so I'll give him a pass but honestly what did 32 really do that was so great for this team. We didnt win anything while he was here and the year we did get close it was Kolzig that got us there. 32 didnt exactly put up big numbers unless you count pim. If he is in because he was part of our history then you have to add guys like Calle Johansson and Gustafsson and maybe some others. Hunter was involved in possibly the worst moment in Caps history. And we retire his number?

I didnt take a stand whether Hunter should be there or not. Just stated as he already is, just let it be. Dont see any point in bashing him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I didnt take a stand whether Hunter should be there or not. Just stated as he already is, just let it be. Dont see any point in bashing him.
Actually my point is that if 32 is retired then 12 and 37 should be as well.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Retiring numbers shouldn’t be a big deal. There are 100 to choose from.

I’d retire 12 & 37. The other guy to think about is 6 (Johansson). I’d do his too for being the all time leader in GP in a Caps uniform.

8 & 19 are coming. As may be 70 & 74 & 92....depending on a lot of factors.

I think it’s cool to retire numbers. They could retire 70 different numbers and still field a team, so I’m not worried about the quantity, as long as they are deserving. Lots of metrics to use in determining that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad