Pre-Game Talk: Can we "Dutch Oven" Toronto with our recent fart fest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
One on one drills aren't static. Those are small sided game type drills and are absolutely brilliant. It's part of why Sweden develops so well in hockey and soccer players.
I don't consider them flow drills either though. So when I say work on shooting and passing, I mean the entire gamut of drills.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't consider them flow drills either though. So when I say work on shooting and passing, I mean the entire gamut of drills.

They need to work on breakout and neutral zone passing. Way too often we just dump the puck to centre from our own zone or dump the puck into the o-zone from the neutral zone. I don't think I've seen a D make a breakout pass in a month.

The interesting part is that the more the rookies play (Bouch included) the more they seem to do this. So that might be another play gave by Dave.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They need to work on breakout and neutral zone passing. Way too often we just dump the puck to centre from our own zone or dump the puck into the o-zone from the neutral zone. I don't think I've seen a D make a breakout pass in a month.

The interesting part is that the more the rookies play (Bouch included) the more they seem to do this. So that might be another play gave by Dave.
I think that’s just a matter of Tippett not being able to adjust his breakout schemes to other teams trapping us.

Reactions: Duke74

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Doesn’t help that Keith, who was tops for this has been out for a fair bit of that month. Not sure why we aren’t seeing more from Bouch in that regard though. It’s certainly in his wheelhouse. Again, could be a coaching thing. Tippett is scared to have them take chances with the injuries they have, I’d guess. Sure isn’t working the way he wants

Reactions: Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think that’s just a matter of Tippett not being able to adjust his breakout schemes to other teams trapping us.

Trap works in the neutral zone so the breakout out of the Dzone is almost a given. Breaking into the offensive zone is a whole other matter v the trap.

There I don’t see any adjustment whatsoever. Oilers just hammer away shift after shift of trying to skate it in or unsupported dump ins.

Tippett often says “I don’t worry about the other team I worry about our team”. That is very evident when the other team locks it down tight.

Reactions: Cloned

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Cosmo?

One of the fairly odd parents that plunged the world into the depths of the First World War by granting one wish?

No thanks.
Nah, the OG Cosmo

C-78ZeAXsAEv0Oj.jpg

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Nah, the OG Cosmo

C-78ZeAXsAEv0Oj.jpg

Once upon a time probably in 2003 I was part of a “VIP Board” for WEM with other kids aged 12 to 13. Benefits were a discount card, snacks and behind the scenes tours.

They had us name the Shark. His name is… Sharky.
I don’t remember the name I picked, probably something lame like “Finn the Shark” but they were trying to steer us the whole time to Sharky.

Anyways, I was mad about them not listening to our input and quit the board. I found out later that their Mall of America in Dallas had the exact same mascot with the same name! We were never naming the shark, it was chosen in advance! Those slimy bastards made me feel important when I was just a PR pawn.

I may also be responsible for “Rock N’ Ride,” which was my idea on the application to join the board. It started within a year of my application so maybe it was already in motion. Either way, I’m sorry.

End of Sharky the Shark rant

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Trap works in the neutral zone so the breakout out of the Dzone is almost a given. Breaking into the offensive zone is a whole other matter v the trap.

There I don’t see any adjustment whatsoever. Oilers just hammer away shift after shift of trying to skate it in or unsupported dump ins.

Tippett often says “I don’t worry about the other team I worry about our team”. That is very evident when the other team locks it down tight.
Just jump on board FireTippett already! ;)

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Just play the top 3 lines equal minutes and call it a day

Foegele-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Hyman-RNH-Yamamoto
Shore-McLeod-Sceviour

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If Babcock went on the record as saying he has no interest in the job or Holland went on the record as saying he has no interest in hiring Babcock I’d probably jump right in.
It won't be Babcock. The PR risk is just too great for a team that really can't afford another distraction. I'd say Julien, Woodcroft, Gulutzan or even a completely unexpected name are all each more likely to be hired than Babcock.

Reactions: Mickelsnitz

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It won't be Babcock. The PR risk is just too great for a team that really can't afford another distraction. I'd say Julien, Woodcroft, Gulutzan or even a completely unexpected name are all each more likely to be hired than Babcock.

Can you refresh my memory what the deal with Babcock was?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I don’t think Holland cares much about PR.

We have a good team but we don’t have a Cup contender. So letting Tippett ride the season out doesn’t make our cup aspirations any less.

It also makes sense to ride it out to the off season so a panic search doesn’t have to happen. There’s no huge in season disruption happening, no sense of panic or urgency. More candidates especially from other employed assistant coaches or AHL coaches. Hiring someone away from an organization is tremendously difficult in-season.

It also clearly shows the players they have to alter their game if they want to take a next step as the next coach isn’t going down this passive hockey path.

Also we’ve had Smith for two and a half games. Missed half our NHL D for a long stretch here. Plus Holland is going to add. Maybe it comes together after Christmas like it has before.

So I’m happy to ride it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad