Pre-Game Talk: Can we "Dutch Oven" Toronto with our recent fart fest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Can you refresh my memory what the deal with Babcock was?
Made Marner make a shame list of teammates and then revealed who was on that list to the vets on the team to try to motivate them to perform better.

Also some alleged instances of being verbally abusive and just a general PITA in Detroit to the point where the entire roster hated playing for him.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don’t think Holland cares much about PR.

We have a good team but we don’t have a Cup contender. So letting Tippett ride the season out doesn’t make our cup aspirations any less.

It also makes sense to ride it out to the off season so a panic search doesn’t have to happen. There’s no huge in season disruption happening, no sense of panic or urgency. More candidates especially from other employed assistant coaches or AHL coaches. Hiring someone away from an organization is tremendously difficult in-season.

It also clearly shows the players they have to alter their game if they want to take a next step as the next coach isn’t going down this passive hockey path.

Also we’ve had Smith for two and a half games. Missed half our NHL D for a long stretch here. Plus Holland is going to add. Maybe it comes together after Christmas like it has before.

So I’m happy to ride it out.
I think it’s a risk to just let it ride. You know my reasons. :)

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think it’s a risk to just let it ride. You know my reasons. :)

That’s where we differ. I see it riskier we make a bad hire in season and don’t see it as a huge risk if we ride it out - unless the wheels totally blow off the bus. Lose another 4 games and we have a new coach to start after the Christmas break.

Ahhh whom I kidding…..Holland isn’t doing anything of the sort.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
It won't be Babcock. The PR risk is just too great for a team that really can't afford another distraction. I'd say Julien, Woodcroft, Gulutzan or even a completely unexpected name are all each more likely to be hired than Babcock.

Nicholson and Holland will reach out to Babcock for advice on who the next coach should be. Then Babcock will recommend himself and the Oilers will say "ok" and the next chapter in this story will start.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That’s where we differ. I see it riskier we make a bad hire in season and don’t see it as a huge risk if we ride it out - unless the wheels totally blow off the bus. Lose another 4 games and we have a new coach to start after the Christmas break.

Ahhh whom I kidding…..Holland isn’t doing anything of the sort.
The wheels are totally blowing off the bus though...

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Hey Del, your new avatar looks like someone from a Batman movie.
95SQF5e.gif

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s hard to believe it’s Dec 13 and the Oilers still have 9 games to play in December with Xmas in between and all. That’s said, looking at the lineup, might be 2-7 or 3-6 to close the month out.
Things will continue to be bleak until we have a coaching change.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Bus swerving wildly. Driver trying to maintain control. Kids being thrown around in the back. A real hard corner coming up to navigate tomorrow. Do we hit the ditch?
You need to listen to the Smartless Podcast (jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett) they just has Sandra bullock on. She’s a focused, strong willed lady, and super smart and incredibly talented. She talks a little about filming Speed with Keanu. If you want to listen to a mindless pod that will make you laugh every episode (perhaps, I roar at it), give it a try.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You need to listen to the Smartless Podcast (jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett) they just has Sandra bullock on. She’s a focused, strong willed lady, and super smart and incredibly talented. She talks a little about filming Speed with Keanu. If you want to listen to a mindless pod that will make you laugh every episode (perhaps, I roar at it), give it a try.

I’ll have to give it a whirl thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad