Pre-Game Talk: Can we "Dutch Oven" Toronto with our recent fart fest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I like them together too but I’d still like to see McLeod ease into the spot more. Don’t think he has much to learn in the AHL but 3C is a huge responsibility

Right now though he's far and away the best 3rd line Centre on the team, so he's already doing it. So much so that if they were to consider a RNH based third line, I might keep him and McLeod together anyways as McLeod is already way better than RNH at faceoffs and they can share the defensive duties accordingly.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Right now though he's far and away the best 3rd line Centre on the team, so he's already doing it. So much so that if they were to consider a RNH based third line, I might keep him and McLeod together anyways as McLeod is already way better than RNH at faceoffs and they can share the defensive duties accordingly.

Fair enough, I don’t disagree that he’s the best 3C on the roster (face offs, defensively, more than skilled enough to chip in but needs to stop over passing). Would you not bother going out to get a 3C then? If given the choice between 3C and goalie, goalie is 100% what I’d be going to get

Reactions: nabob

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Fair enough, I don’t disagree that he’s the best 3C on the roster (face offs, defensively, more than skilled enough to chip in but needs to stop over passing). Would you not bother going out to get a 3C then? If given the choice between 3C and goalie, goalie is 100% what I’d be going to get

I'd rather have an improvement at 3C if possible, but I think the impact to the roster would be more significant with a goalie upgrade than a 3C upgrade and personally I think it's unrealistic to think Holland's got the chops to add an LD, 3C and a goalie by the deadline with the current cap situation, so it may be best to give McLeod the reigns and he could be able to run with it to great success as soon as next year, especially if someone like Holloway can make the jump relatively soon to join him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What do you think of the Canucks system? Still early for them, but Boudreau has them playing a system where they pressure puck carriers in the NZ and zone entries instead of collapsing. Again, it might just be a new coach boost but the Canucks are looking much better now. Always seemed to me that the Oilers give up the zone way too easily and the puck carriers get a lot of time to work.

I haven’t watched the Canucks much since Bruce was hired but what I remember of how he coached the Wild, Ducks and Caps is he likes to pressure opponents hard in all zones creating turnovers and a quick transition up ice.

I remember when the Ducks went into a massive scoring slump and he changed to a full on hard trap and it got them out of the slump, clawing their way back into the playoffs. Once they regained their injured players and standings position he reverted back to his pressure tactics. Great adjustment.

Requires a ton of buy in from players as it’s bloody hard work to play this way game in game out. But he’s a players coach and usually gets the buy in he needs. Vancouver has been so bad this year players will probably walk naked through poison ivy and then backwards into a cactus for him.

For whatever reason he could never coach a team into a Cup win but his teams were always in the hunt.

Reactions: Skar

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I'd rather have an improvement at 3C if possible, but I think the impact to the roster would be more significant with a goalie upgrade than a 3C upgrade and personally I think it's unrealistic to think Holland's got the chops to add an LD, 3C and a goalie by the deadline with the current cap situation, so it may be best to give McLeod the reigns and he could be able to run with it to great success as soon as next year, especially if someone like Holloway can make the jump relatively soon to join him.

Hopes that Holloway can come back and have an impact in a month or so make me hesitant to spend too much on a bottom 6 forward. I hate hoping for a kid to fix things but he was very good before getting injured and looked NHL ready as a potential black ace last playoffs.

LD might be solved well enough with Nemo gaining experience and Keith being back.

Goalie is the one they absolutely have to look outside for

Reactions: nabob and bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hopes that Holloway can come back and have an impact in a month or so make me hesitant to spend too much on a bottom 6 forward. I hate hoping for a kid to fix things but he was very good before getting injured and looked NHL ready as a potential black ace last playoffs.

LD might be solved well enough with Nemo gaining experience and Keith being back.

Goalie is the one they absolutely have to look outside for

And despite his agent being a complete moron Lagesson is still serviceable. 4K is returning soon and Russell is absolutely fine as the 7th Dman. I'm not all that concerned about the left side, particularly as there's still Samoroukov bubbling under in Bakersfield right now as well. To me LD only needed help if Keith was going to be gone for months. If he's back this week, it's not urgent at all.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
And despite his agent being a complete moron Lagesson is still serviceable. 4K is returning soon and Russell is absolutely fine as the 7th Dman. I'm not all that concerned about the left side, particularly as there's still Samoroukov bubbling under in Bakersfield right now as well. To me LD only needed help if Keith was going to be gone for months. If he's back this week, it's not urgent at all.

Agreed, 100%. Lagesson, Russell are decent insurance. I’d like to see Sammy up at some point too. Keith being back makes the D focus on the right side, IMO. Still not as as urgent as goalie, no matter what

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don’t understand all the doom and gloom- this team was always going to have a losing streak at some point. They aren’t a dynasty superpower team, it was inevitable just like for every other team. Good thing they started the season red hot.

If they miss the playoff or have another 1st round exit I’ll be right there with everyone else ripping into the team, coach, and front office- but until then I remain optimistic about this teams potential for this year.

Really want them to make this the game they break out of the funk. No team more annoying to lose to than Toronto

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think Yamamoto and McLeod could be a pretty decent pairing on the third line. Decent speed, pretty tenacious, both are responsible defensively with just enough offence to pot an occasional goal. The concern will be whoever the third wheel on the line will be.

I think they make a good pair. Having Foegele would be a good fit but maybe Benson might work. We know he plays well with McLoed.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don’t understand all the doom and gloom- this team was always going to have a losing streak at some point. They aren’t a dynasty superpower team, it was inevitable just like for every other team. Good thing they started the season red hot.

If they miss the playoff or have another 1st round exit I’ll be right there with everyone else ripping into the team, coach, and front office- but until then I remain optimistic about this teams potential for this year.

Really want them to make this the game they break out of the funk. No team more annoying to lose to than Toronto
The main problem with the Oilers is that once McDavid and Draisatl leave the ice they become one of the worst teams in the league. And stacking the top line only makes that problem more prevalent.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The main problem with the Oilers is that once McDavid and Draisatl leave the ice they become one of the worst teams in the league. And stacking the top line only makes that problem more prevalent.
Yeah they need to remain split up that’s for certain.

My hope is the Oilers trade for a top 6 player to be the offense driver on the 3rd line. Or maybe it could be Holloway who fills that role. Regardless the 3rd line definitely needs work.
4th doesn’t do much but honestly it only seems like there are a handful of teams with notable 4th lines

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What do you think of the Canucks system? Still early for them, but Boudreau has them playing a system where they pressure puck carriers in the NZ and zone entries instead of collapsing. Again, it might just be a new coach boost but the Canucks are looking much better now. Always seemed to me that the Oilers give up the zone way too easily and the puck carriers get a lot of time to work.
I really wonder if the players just didn't give a shit under Green anymore. Sure looked like it from what I seen.

Maybe all they needed was a mannequin behind the bench to play better.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

My hope is the Oilers trade for a top 6 player to be the offense driver on the 3rd line. Or maybe it could be Holloway who fills that role. Regardless the 3rd line definitely needs work.
4th doesn’t do much but honestly it only seems like there are a handful of teams with notable 4th lines
I don't get how we can afford that long-term. We really need someone internally to grow into that spot given the current makeup of this team with regards to the cap.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

We don't have a ton of assets or cap space to give up for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad