Pre-Game Talk: Can we "Dutch Oven" Toronto with our recent fart fest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Took the words right out of my mouth, but man is it difficult to get a good goalie right?

Quite honestly, a lot of it seems to be luck, at least more so than other positions. I wanted Kuemper, not sure if he would have been the right acquisition. They need to find another Talbot type

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Quite honestly, a lot of it seems to be luck, at least more so than other positions. I wanted Kuemper, not sure if he would have been the right acquisition. They need to find another Talbot type
Toronto got Campbell for a depth center and two thirds, so it really can't be all that hard.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Who would be a coach possibility if they did fire Tippett.. I doubt Babcock would be a good fit after the stuff he pulled with the wings and leafs. Like it or not I don't think 20-somethings respond well to asshole coaches or bosses anymore. Is there anyone else? I've watched the Canucks play with Boudreau and I wish we would have snagged him... He's challenged a couple goals correctly in the games I've seen. Canucks winning (I believe they've had backup goalies starting for the other teams). Anderson had the night off last night
Woodcroft as interim HC.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

Yeah, I agree that it's hard to predict if a goalie will do well in a particular season/playoffs on a particular team, unless they're perennial Vezina contenders like Price, Vasilevskiy, Rask, etc.

Campbell could have just as easily fizzled and broke down completely dealing with the current Oilers' structure and EV play...

Reactions: nabob

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yeah, I agree that it's hard to predict if a goalie will do well in a particular season/playoffs on a particular team, unless they're perennial Vezina contenders like Price, Vasilevskiy, Rask, etc.

Campbell could have just as easily fizzled and broke down completely dealing with the current Oilers' structure and EV play...

I agree somewhat. Apparently, according to Woodley, LA had swapped out Campbell’s pads to much stiffer ones that took away many of his strength. Furthermore, they made him much more mechanical vs free flowing. Thirdly, because of this new style- he struggled. Credit to Toronto’s goalie coaches and scouts- they saw this. Their goalie coach simply gave Campbell back his mushy pads, took away the mechanical structure, and had him just focus on stopping the puck. This shifted his negative thinking back to positive one because he was able to play more naturally- and then- bounces back. It was on Gregor’s show early last season. Woodley predicted he would have a big bounce back season going back to his roots- so I’m guessing TO’s coaches/scouts saw it too. With that said- he could have totally flopped- but TO saw enough in his fundamentals that they took that extremely low risk chance.

Side note- Woodley also said Dreidger was a product of Florida’s system and if you look closely- he has huge flaws in his game. Also said he would be a prime candidate for an overpay.

Cant we get Woodley on our staff?

Reactions: Oilers90

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It’s hard to believe it’s Dec 13 and the Oilers still have 9 games to play in December with Xmas in between and all. That’s said, looking at the lineup, might be 2-7 or 3-6 to close the month out.

They'll come out of this in time to win at least 4. Tonight is the end of the worst stretch for opposition, before getting back against teams that are much more beatable. Now that they've lost all these games, I can't see them mailing in efforts against Columbus, Seattle, LA and San Jose before the break now and even Anaheim, as good as they can be, are beatable. Regression goes both ways and 5 goals in 4 games suggests the dam will break sometime soon and we'll see something like 12 goals in 3 games again, and considering the opposition gets a bit softer seems like a great time to break back out.

Flames and Blues post break will be tough, unless Calgary takes a post-covid swan dive like so many teams before have done, but I like their chances in the New Year's eve afternoon game in Jersey as well.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
They'll come out of this in time to win at least 4. Tonight is the end of the worst stretch for opposition, before getting back against teams that are much more beatable. Now that they've lost all these games, I can't see them mailing in efforts against Columbus, Seattle, LA and San Jose before the break now and even Anaheim, as good as they can be, are beatable. Regression goes both ways and 5 goals in 4 games suggests the dam will break sometime soon and we'll see something like 12 goals in 3 games again, and considering the opposition gets a bit softer seems like a great time to break back out.

Flames and Blues post break will be tough, unless Calgary takes a post-covid swan dive like so many teams before have done, but I like their chances in the New Year's eve afternoon game in Jersey as well.
I hope your right. LA and Columbus do have strong goaltending, and as for afternoon games, ya well, it’s the Oilers. ;)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I hope your right. LA and Columbus do have strong goaltending, and as for afternoon games, ya well, it’s the Oilers. ;)

I don't think they had matinees last year except that one wierd early Wednesday game which they won but that was against Ottawa.
They were 6-1-1 in 2019-20 outscoring the opposition 32-20 in games starting at or 4PM (4-1-1 if before 4PM)
They were 4-1-3 in 2018-19 in 4PM or earlier starts (3-0-3 before 4PM).

Considering most Oiler matiness are road games, those are pretty good results. Interestingly both losses in 19-20 were in home games and the lone regulation loss in 18-19 was also at home. They also lost in OT at home in their other home matinee that year.

The issue with matinees seems to have gone away in recent years.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I agree somewhat. Apparently, according to Woodley, LA had swapped out Campbell’s pads to much stiffer ones that took away many of his strength. Furthermore, they made him much more mechanical vs free flowing. Thirdly, because of this new style- he struggled. Credit to Toronto’s goalie coaches and scouts- they saw this. Their goalie coach simply gave Campbell back his mushy pads, took away the mechanical structure, and had him just focus on stopping the puck. This shifted his negative thinking back to positive one because he was able to play more naturally- and then- bounces back. It was on Gregor’s show early last season. Woodley predicted he would have a big bounce back season going back to his roots- so I’m guessing TO’s coaches/scouts saw it too. With that said- he could have totally flopped- but TO saw enough in his fundamentals that they took that extremely low risk chance.

Side note- Woodley also said Dreidger was a product of Florida’s system and if you look closely- he has huge flaws in his game. Also said he would be a prime candidate for an overpay.

Cant we get Woodley on our staff?

Always surprises me when it comes to goalies how has-beens or never-was's (with all due respect lol) can instruct an NHL goalie, who is at the peak of his game by the time he gets to the NHL level, to adopt significant changes to his game.

I'm not talking about new training methods. Telling a goalie to change the type of pads he uses, so that he can play a new style no less, is pretty mind blowing to me.

Reactions: foshizzle

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
Unfortunately the Leafs look like contenders and the Oilers pretenders.

I expect a loss but on the plus side maybe a high scoring loss. 6 to 5 Toronto.
we’ve been playing like total garbage the last 4 games, i suspect you guys will win tonight.

Reactions: Aerchon

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Always surprises me when it comes to goalies how has-beens or never-was's (with all due respect lol) can instruct an NHL goalie, who is at the peak of his game by the time he gets to the NHL level, to adopt significant changes to his game.

I'm not talking about new training methods. Telling a goalie to change the type of pads he uses, so that he can play a new style no less, is pretty mind blowing to me.

To be fair, the stiffer pads has been a bit of a revolution in NHL goaltending over the past decade. Go back and watch videos from 2010 or earlier. You'll see a lot of quite soft goalie pads (a lot of offerings from Vaughn and Reebok for example). Fast forward to today and almost everyone wears super stiff pads. I think it's largely an attempt to reduce the number of dirty-area goals by having rebounds pop out much further, and defensive schemes are also likely being tailored to that. The responsibilities of defensemen do change somewhat depending on how fast and far rebounds are coming out.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
To be fair, the stiffer pads has been a bit of a revolution in NHL goaltending over the past decade. Go back and watch videos from 2010 or earlier. You'll see a lot of quite soft goalie pads (a lot of offerings from Vaughn and Reebok for example). Fast forward to today and almost everyone wears super stiff pads. I think it's largely an attempt to reduce the number of dirty-area goals by having rebounds pop out much further, and defensive schemes are also likely being tailored to that. The responsibilities of defensemen do change somewhat depending on how fast and far rebounds are coming out.

Not everyone wears Hunrik Lundqvist-esque pads. Some goalies use them to kick out rebounds as far as possible to give themselves more time to re-set; many don't wear those sorts of pads. But you gotta at least look at the goalie and ask if his style is amenable to that sort of technique.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Not everyone wears Hunrik Lundqvist-esque pads. Some goalies use them to kick out rebounds as far as possible to give themselves more time to re-set; many don't wear those sorts of pads. But you gotta at least look at the goalie and ask if his style is amenable to that sort of technique.

I agree personally. I'm just saying the league (and goaltending at lower levels as well) has largely moved towards the stiffer pads over the past decade.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I agree personally. I'm just saying the league (and goaltending at lower levels as well) has largely moved towards the stiffer pads over the past decade.

Very true.

I'm actually not even sure when the change would have happened, because his numbers were always good, except in 19-20 for 20 games before he got traded. If the change happened then, you would think someone would recognize immediately that it was a bad decision, given that his sv % dropped from 92.4 and 92.8 to 90 lol.

Reactions: ujju2

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Talking about farts here's a couple of Swedish signs.

Näyttökuva 2021-12-14 kello 21.30.49.png
Näyttökuva 2021-12-14 kello 21.32.41.png

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Agreed. I’ve posted in a few threads my thoughts and choices. I know we won’t find consensus on a coach or let alone the need to change, but I think we can all agree the status quo is a bad f***ing decision.
Yah, we don’t have the luxury of burning off another year of McDavids contract. Whatever is wrong with this team needs to be sorted out this season and not in the offseason. They need to show that they can win games that matter now. Tippett clearly doesn’t have the ability to get the best out of the player we have. I personally think that the hole team just relies on McDavid and Draisaitl to score the big goals. It’s like the whole team forgot how they got into the league in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad