Can we do a poll? Do the Leafs have the right balance?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You came here to solidify an incorrect stance in your mind, based on the knee-jerk reactions and uninformed opinions of the kids that populate these boards instead of actual evidence.

That is not proof of anything. We have lost to the 1st, 3rd and 4th best teams in the league over the last 3 years, been highly competitive in all of the series, and been the better ES team in at least one of them, despite being the underdog every time and facing considerable barriers like suspensions and injuries. This is a level of opponent that most teams of our quality face in the conference finals, if not later.

You want argue facts as if they aren't and go over too many points, Im not raising.

Lots of teams lose in the playoffs. This doesn't mean the entire makeup of their team is wrong. I never said the entire makeup is wrong, you did to start an argument that wasn't there.

Teams that make knee-jerk reactions to losing in the playoffs, especially without the context of those situations, are the ones that deteriorate into irrelevance. I think Barrie could be gone come TD and could be packaged with a winger to get someone more suitable.I would rather have another Mu nyself.zzin type

Keep improving the quality of the team and giving yourself chances, ideally to get home ice advantage, which is what Dubas has done. Not everything I say is about Dubas. But I see a struggle between him and Babcock. Tavares said last year " We need more grit!", yet I need more proof than him... why?

Beyond switching divisions, there is nothing else that will help. Buffalo looks really good and has made our division with them ,Boston,TB and us very scary now.

We literally don't have room for the wingers we already have. Hint: I think one will be packaged as we have cheap young depth who we could bring up in the AHL.

Because you don't want to be swayed. You don't want proof. You want to hear people agree with you, regardless of how far detached from reality it is.
No, you want an argument where there isn't one. I wanted a poll. In a poll I only get one vote as do you....next!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No, you want an argument where there isn't one. I wanted a poll. In a poll I only get one vote as do you....next!
I don't want an argument. I want people to actually enjoy the amazing team we have in front of us instead of trying to constantly nitpick irrelevant things that aren't real problems and that we have no control over anyway.

You made a thread where the opening post is full of untrue statements and is essentially low-key trolling, and you didn't make this thread a poll despite your insistence that that is what you wanted. You responded to me in my discussions with other individuals to repeat your unsupported opinion, and then go on to refuse to answer to anything I point out because you don't like the actual reality of the situation and just want people who agree with you about liking face-punching more than actual hockey.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'd be happy if we had a tougher team, toughness is a positive thing that helps a team win hockey games.

But anyone thinking that we lost in the playoffs the last three years because of toughness must have been watching a different series than I did. It might be our undoing at the end of the day, but frankly I doubt it. We outhit Boston last year and lost because our special teams shit the bed and theirs went on a bender. Toughness does not actually correlate with the ability to kill a penalty or inability to score a PP goal.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't want an argument. I want people to actually enjoy the amazing team we have in front of us instead of trying to constantly nitpick irrelevant things that aren't real problems and that we have no control over anyway.

You made a thread where the opening post is full of untrue statements and is essentially low-key trolling, and you didn't make this thread a poll despite your insistence that that is what you wanted. You responded to me in my discussions with other individuals to repeat your unsupported opinion, and then go on to refuse to answer to anything I point out because you don't like the actual reality of the situation and just want people who agree with you about liking face-punching more than actual hockey.

You put words in my mouth and perceive thoughts that aren't there. Are you Nostradamus? I wanted a poll of Leaf fans so I could read their opinions about what we need for a deep playoff run. I don't celebrate losing. Your arguments are lame ,clearly unsound and based on your opinion which I don't share. We need more than just Hyman, I'm not sold on Barrie and we may or may not need a vet Dman by TD depending on how Dermott plays ,who is currently injured.

You say we need nothing..

You have given your opinion and now I want the opinion of other Leaf fans. Not your or mine.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You put words in my mouth and perceive thoughts that aren't there. Are you Nostradamus? I wanted a poll of Leaf fans so I could read their opinions about what we need for a deep playoff run. I don't celebrate losing. Your arguments are lame ,clearly unsound and based on your opinion which I don't share. We need more than just Hyman, I'm not sold on Barrie and we may or may not need a vet Dman by TD depending on how Dermott plays ,who is currently injured.

You have given your opinion and now I want the opinion of other Leaf fans. Not yours or mine.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I wanted a poll
Yet didn't make a poll...
I don't celebrate losing.
Yet you wish to spend your time talking about your perceived "negatives" of this cup contender, despite zero actual evidence that they are negatives or have hindered the Leafs.
Your arguments are lame
Yet you have not refuted a single one, and you provide no evidence yourself, while making unsubstantiated claims.
We need more than just Hyman
We have more than Hyman.
I'm not sold on Barrie
He seemed to have no problem leading a worse team in Colorado past the first round as one of their best players while playing 5 minutes more than any of their other D.

Maybe "t3h hitz" isn't the best measure of a player. :eek:
and we may or may not need a vet Dman by TD depending on how Dermott plays ,who is currently injured.
For like 5 more games. Dermott has put up amazing numbers in a 3rd line role, which is all he needs to be this year. We have veteran leadership. If we want to trade out forward depth for D depth, then maybe that's what we do, but that's not needed right now and it won't be because of a desperate misguided rush for "toughness".
We currently need nothing. If we decide we need something later, then we have an amazing GM making those decisions, but what we need isn't going to be paying a premium or downgrading the quality of our players to specifically get a "tough guy".

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
According to Dubas, yes.

He believes a highly skilled, puck possession team is the way forward.

Only time will tell.

This thing goes in cycles.

When the Ducks won, people thought you needed to be big and physical.

The Wings, Pens, and Hawks convinced people that maybe being deep and skilled was then the new way to go.

Then the Bruins and Kings reverted people back in favor of big and tough teams.

The Hawks and Pens won three straight cups between them without really having any toughness and grit.

The Caps and Blues have, again, reversed that belief.

The truth probably is - there's no right way to build a team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
According to Dubas, yes.

He believes a highly skilled, puck possession team is the way forward.

Only time will tell.

This thing goes in cycles.

When the Ducks won, people thought you needed to be big and physical.

The Wings, Pens, and Hawks convinced people that maybe being deep and skilled was then the new way to go.

Then the Bruins and Kings reverted people back in favor of big and tough teams.

The Hawks and Pens won three straight cups between them without really having any toughness and grit.

The Caps and Blues have, again, reversed that belief.

The truth probably is - there's no right way to build a team.

Wings Hawks and Pens had grit on their teams. Never really been a team without grit that has won. The first year the Pens made the cup they had Gary Roberts lol

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd love a top 9 LW with some jam or a top 4 RD that can play with some physicality

Generally you draft those guys because if you have one your loathed to trade them and giving them UFA dollars doesn't end well usually

We are what we are, may as well just embrace it and hope the boys can figure out a way to get it done in the playoffs

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Wings Hawks and Pens had grit on their teams. Never really been a team without grit that has won. The first year the Pens made the cup they had Gary Roberts lol

Maybe their first cup 10 years ago. The recent Pens SC teams didn't have anymore grit than this Leafs team.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I've been saying Moore instead of Kappy since the beginning of season.
The organization had to play Kapanen and Johnsson higher up in the lineup at the start of the season.

Once the organization signed them to those contracts, they have to earn them. It is an organization issue in my opinion. It makes no sense to sign them, two young offensive players who shown they can score, then put them on the 4th line or 3rd line. They were signed to produced, so go produce. The organization gave them that contract so the organization must give them that opportunity.

If it does not work out as planned, then comes plan B.

Unfortunately for Kapanen, it was kind of obvious rather quick that he did not click with Marner and Tavares.

Maybe Marner does not like him? Who knows.

Marner calls Moore "T-Dog" because they are X-box lovers.

:laugh:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I'm not sold on Barrie being what we need on defense and would love to know how we are going to resign him.
Barrie has been a surprise for me.

He is slower than I thought. He plays a better defensive game than Gardiner for the most part. Smooth hands.

If he can complete a stretch pass, he will pile up the points with this team.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Boston won off theur red hot pp.

I don't understand why this myth of the Bruins grinding out a win at 5v5 came from... the Leafs matched the Bruins at even strength, their pk just had no answer to the Bergeron unit

Edit typo
That series lasted seven games.

The Zaitsev Muzzin pairing was so good, it forced Boston to break up their top line. That pairing held that line to 3 even strength goals in seven games. That is enough to win.

The reason was not the power play, but a more basic reason.

The Leafs choked. They could not score. They could not forecheck. They could not score on the power player.

The players could not do it.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This team might actually be worse than last year!

Record wise they are right where I expected after 9 games but they are actually a slower and softer team than anyone could anticipate.
Plays like a team full of cliques with a broken locker room

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Answer is a definitive no.

They have all the talent they need to win but not enough of the character and determination. This is still a team that thinks they can win most nights on their talent alone

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Every leaf fan should be very concerned right now. This team looks like pretenders. Serious issues​
It’s way worse than people think

Sorry quote from another poster.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Anyhow, I rest my case. Dubas needs to do something about this team. Cherry is right, they are too soft and wait for perfect plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad