Can we discuss about the elephant in the room ? (Carey Price's play)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Ridiculous. Not surprising tho

What you are saying is Price needs a sub 2 GAA with this team or else he is failing.

Andersson faces the likes of crest shooting Pleks while MTLs D gives up wide up open shots to Kadri, Matthews, Marner and Tavares and somehow you expect it to make zero difference. Mind blowing.

MTL scoring chances with their talent level arent equal to other teams.

I don't care about how many goals he lets it, he could let in 10, as long as he stop 92% of his shots. If he gives the team .900 then he is part of the problem not the solution.

And Price is a big boy, he used to stone the Crosby's and Malkins of the world so enough with him facing world class shooters. Guess what he is the NHL he is going to face the best hockey players in the world night in and night out. If thats the excuse then let him play in the AHL where the shooters aren't as good.

Anderson faced a ton of shots in close, tons of give aways from the D in front of him, but stopped the puck.

At some point the excuses have to stop and Price is either an elite goalie, or he is a below average one. Elite goalies stop the hard shots, stop the 2 on 1's, stop the giveaways, are the teams best penalty killers.

Ya he doesn't have a great D in front of him, and if his name was Lindgren or Niemi I would cut him some slack, but he is 10.5 Million , supposed to be a top 5 goalie in the league, those guys make a difference no matter how bad the D plays in front of them.

Since 2014/15 Price has put up .915 and 2.5 GAA and missed probably around 60 games. That is below average numbers and we are talking 3 years here.

Its not all on Price, but if he is putting up .900 then like I said he is part of the problem and is not part of the solution.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
McDavid is paid even more and couldn't carry the Oilers out of the basement. Both Toews and Kane are paid over 10m yet neither saved Chicago from crappy the bed last season. And I doubt Toronto gave Tavares his contract thinking he's going to save the team.

Being paid 10m doesn't mean the player is paid to carry/save the team by himself.

We expect Price to carry the team because we have unrealistic expectations for goalies and because the only success we are likely to have is if he does carry the team. And for some reason rather then blame the GM for building a team that is overly reliant on one player we blame the player for not doing enough.

And how many points McDavid had last year? Imagine the guy had 50 points he would be getting it a lot harder.

Towes was crap last year and this year he isn't on top 50 list for NHL, and his contract is looked at as toxic where fans on here were saying they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pool

If a forward goes from 90 pts to 50 pts they will be ridiculed, crapped on, etc...

Price putting up .900 or less save % is not acceptable and shouldn't be excused. I dont care if the team loses (I hope they do for the pick) but Price can't only stop 90% of his shots. He cant face 25 and stop 21. Thats not pulling his weight and is the equivalent to McDavid scoring 50 points.

Problem is we saw this last year too so its not like its just pre season he will get better. I hope he does and is just working out the kinks, but if this is continuation from last year this is going to get real ugly.

Reactions: Toene

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
no....im just saying nobody should be expecting Prices play to improve from last season,

Price plays to the level of the team in front of him,

when Price first came into the league he stunk, because the team in front of him stunk,

over the years Prices numbers improved because the team in front of him improved,

Price peaked in 2014-2015 conveniently that is when our team peaked also, do you think that is just a coincidence???

Price didnt get better over those years, the team in front of him got better, making him look better then he really is or was,

now we stink again, so guess what?......so does Price

it shouldn't be a surprise, last year was not a fluke or "off year" :rolleyes:

do you think Price wins the vezina in 2015 if he was playing behind the team we have today? hell no!

Price is just not a top goalie in the league anymore, those days are gone.....Niemi will likely outplay him and have better numbers this season.

Price's play will not improve unless the team improves,

the team didn't get better since last season, so Price's play isn't going to get better either

Err...Price peaked the year the team peaked...well, yeah because that is the year Price peaked. I mean, come on, I don't know what you have been watching but our team wasn't that good. Our offense certainly wasn't one that caused fear in our opponents, and hasn't for decades. And, although our defense was pretty good, it certainly wasn't the league best. Put that together and it's rather clear that Price had a profound influence on how well we did.
As for now, well, it's preseason, I don't really put any weight on how veterans play in the preseason.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I don't care about how many goals he lets it, he could let in 10, as long as he stop 92% of his shots. If he gives the team .900 then he is part of the problem not the solution.

And Price is a big boy, he used to stone the Crosby's and Malkins of the world so enough with him facing world class shooters. Guess what he is the NHL he is going to face the best hockey players in the world night in and night out. If thats the excuse then let him play in the AHL where the shooters aren't as good.

Anderson faced a ton of shots in close, tons of give aways from the D in front of him, but stopped the puck.

At some point the excuses have to stop and Price is either an elite goalie, or he is a below average one. Elite goalies stop the hard shots, stop the 2 on 1's, stop the giveaways, are the teams best penalty killers.

Ya he doesn't have a great D in front of him, and if his name was Lindgren or Niemi I would cut him some slack, but he is 10.5 Million , supposed to be a top 5 goalie in the league, those guys make a difference no matter how bad the D plays in front of them.

Since 2014/15 Price has put up .915 and 2.5 GAA and missed probably around 60 games. That is below average numbers and we are talking 3 years here.

Its not all on Price, but if he is putting up .900 then like I said he is part of the problem and is not part of the solution.

All you see is the money he is making so its pointless to discuss with you.

Maybe analyze the team the GM you defended for years has built. The best players in the world arent carrying terrible teams to anything

Reactions: Peanut

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's extremely hard being a goalie when you have to plan for every possible breakdown.

Petry is inconsistent.
Benn and Alzner are two of the worst defenceman in the league.
Mete and Juulsen need AHL time.
The rest are just journeyman.
Sure, but I mean the best goalie in the world getting paid 8 figures a year should be able to do it, no?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
And how many points McDavid had last year? Imagine the guy had 50 points he would be getting it a lot harder.

Towes was crap last year and this year he isn't on top 50 list for NHL, and his contract is looked at as toxic where fans on here were saying they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pool

If a forward goes from 90 pts to 50 pts they will be ridiculed, crapped on, etc...

Price putting up .900 or less save % is not acceptable and shouldn't be excused. I dont care if the team loses (I hope they do for the pick) but Price can't only stop 90% of his shots. He cant face 25 and stop 21. Thats not pulling his weight and is the equivalent to McDavid scoring 50 points.

Problem is we saw this last year too so its not like its just pre season he will get better. I hope he does and is just working out the kinks, but if this is continuation from last year this is going to get real ugly.

The point is that 10m+ doesn't equate to a player being able to carry the team.

So all the whining about how Price should carry us because he makes 10m is just BS. No player can carry a team by himself, and 10m isn't the salary you would give a guy who could.

As for the stats, a forward's stats are less dependent on the team in front of him then the goalies stats. SV% is extremely dependent on how good a job the team is doing keeping shots to the outside. A goalie is going to have a bad SV% and GAA if the team that gives up the slot constantly.

For forwards, it's a lot easier to produce even if you don't have a lot of help from teamates.

Reactions: Tank Toad

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
What I don't like about Price these last seasons is that he seems too mechanical. Ever notice how he moves around the net when the puck is around? He slides this way, put his stick down, move etc etc, always in the same fashion. It's like he traded his instinct for a technical robotic efficiency. But the problem is that he becomes very predictable this way.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
McDavid is paid even more and couldn't carry the Oilers out of the basement. Both Toews and Kane are paid over 10m yet neither saved Chicago from crappy the bed last season. And I doubt Toronto gave Tavares his contract thinking he's going to save the team.

Being paid 10m doesn't mean the player is paid to carry/save the team by himself.

We expect Price to carry the team because we have unrealistic expectations for goalies and because the only success we are likely to have is if he does carry the team. And for some reason rather then blame the GM for building a team that is overly reliant on one player we blame the player for not doing enough.
You don't have to save the team you just have to be the best or one of the best at your position.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Sure, but I mean the best goalie in the world getting paid 8 figures a year should be able to do it, no?

Do you also expect a forward being paid 8 figures to carry the team on his back? If so does that mean McDavid isn't living up to his contract?

And more importantly, if a single player can carry the team by himself, and that should cost you 10m. How come there are a bunch of teams out there with multiple 10m+ players? How can the team with only 1 of those players compete with a team that has multiple?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Huh? What fantasy land are you living in? Price came into the league the year we finished 3rd in the league and Price was 4th in Calder voting and 9th in Vezina voting.
Price was a work in progress from 07-08 to 12-13. He had flashes of greatness and flashes of crappiness.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Do you also expect a forward being paid 8 figures to carry the team on his back? If so does that mean McDavid isn't living up to his contract?

And more importantly, if a single player can carry the team by himself, and that should cost you 10m. How come there are a bunch of teams out there with multiple 10m+ players? How can the team with only 1 of those players compete with a team that has multiple?
All I expect from Price at 10.5 per year is to be a top 5 goalie in the world.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
i would take andersen at 5 or 6 mil over price at 10.5 any day

the difference between andersen and price over an entire season would be completely insignificant
Unless I'm mistaken about your feelings about Price, I think I can rightly say you would take any janitor at $50K to play G over Price at 10.5M.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I feel it's hardly an elephant. Price's status has been discussed to death since 2005, 2009, 2013 inking the extension last July and especially through the recent struggles.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
All I expect from Price at 10.5 per year is to be a top 5 goalie in the world.

That's fair, however determining if he is a top-5 goalie is going be difficult if the defence in front of him is a disaster. I don't expect Price's stats to reflect his actual level of play because I expect our D to be pretty atrocious.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Routs

Dec 17, 2011
Price's play last night did bother me, but more because it reminded me of last year's painful play than anything else. The guy has never had a "good" preseason. Like others have stated, he's a guy that uses the preseason to tune up his game and get ready. I was a huge Roy fan as a kid and I'm a big Price fan now. I remember trying to convince myself after the Roy trade that we would be okay and that we'd find a way to still win. I was wrong. Roy was a special goalie and so is Price.

It would be nice if some day our team was built without having almost 100% of the pressure on our goalie.

As for the money aspect of his contract - although I'm not a huge fan of that number - it really isn't limiting our team in any way now or in the future. We didn't spend near to the cap last year and won't be anywhere near it this year. With the next expansion coming soon the cap is only going to go up again and the overall hit won't be as bad as it's being made out to be.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
#1 goalies on almost every team, usually has sub par performances in the preseason. None of them put too much into their pre seasons....

Price is no different..................he has to rebound this year no doubt, he struggled last year, and he knows he has to step it up...and he will more than likely, which I have more faith in, than say............our GM or owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad