Can we discuss about the elephant in the room ? (Carey Price's play)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I thought this was going to be about Kotkaniemi, because not sending him back is the only elephant in the room I can see.

I don't watch exhibition hockey anymore, threads like this are a reason why.

The expression elephant in the room is used to refer to issues that are not being discussed, because people are avoiding it, not because they're unaware of it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
When reporters asked Julien about Mete-Juulsen (and Kotkaniemi), he repeated on a couple occasions that decisions were to be made whether they stay on the team or not.

I don't mind it at all if they begin the season in Montreal, but I'm also one of those who want to see both Ds in Laval, at least to begin the season, with Bouchard, and Kotkaniemi in Finland.

Posters here who are adamant they'll begin the season in Montreal should actually chill out, nothing's set in stone yet, and there's no hurry in their cases.

Like I've said before. Start them in the AHL. If they are truly NHL ready, their play in the AHL would dictate that they would be up swiftly. It also gives us time to evaluate some of the waiver eligible guys and find potential trading partners.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I missed the first but what I did see, especially in the third, were two players who were over matched by the pace of the game.
I saw the same from the Leafs D on many occasions throughout the night...Ohziganov, a 25yr old rooki looked completely overmatched at times last night, same for Rosen, same for Hainsey.

It happens - Mete & Juulsen are going to make mistakes.

If you want them to get used to the pace of the NHL game...sending them down to the AHL to get used to that pace, is not going to help them adjust when they return.

Juulsen got lost up the ice a few times which has been a consistent theme for him since his call up last year. Mete managed to get back but was very erratic and got caught biting too much on every pass. I believe it was the Marleau goal where you see him absolutely fishing.
These things are going to happen...they happen even with seasoned veterans.

But I also disagree about Mete on the Marleau goal, I think his teammates were much more to blame on that then he was.

Wasn't a great night from either of them.
Considering the high powered offense they were facing - I think you're being very severe, again, I think you have your mind made up and you're not allowing yourself to see their performances objectively. You made up your mind in June they should be in the AHL, nothing they do will suppress that it seems.

You wanted to see more offense from Mete, that was one of the main reasons you wanted him sent down, correct?

He's got 3 pts in 3 games...

I don't think you think Mete & Juulsen aren't ready...I just think you want to see the worst possible team iced.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
When reporters asked Julien about Mete-Juulsen (and Kotkaniemi), he repeated on a couple occasions that decisions were to be made whether they stay on the team or not.

I don't mind it at all if they begin the season in Montreal, but I'm also one of those who want to see both Ds in Laval, at least to begin the season, with Bouchard, and Kotkaniemi in Finland.

Posters here who are adamant they'll begin the season in Montreal should actually chill out, nothing's set in stone yet, and there's no hurry in their cases.
I'm pretty chill...

I agree, nothing is set in stone yet.

But nothing about their game indicates to me they won't be on the team.

If their play warrants getting sent down to the AHL, then they might as well cut everyone on D

Edit - will stop talking about Juulsen & Mete in this thread now...sorry fellas

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
On the power plays, Price was outplayed by a good moving power play ... on the Kapanen goal, he just wasn't fast enough.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Price looks completely out of whack so far this pre-season ; what the heck is going on with him ?
Changed his stance
Lateral movements uncontrolled
Slow as f^€÷¢
Can we expect a repeat of last season ?

can we?......yes......we SHOULD BE!

like i have been saying all summer, this season will be a repeat of last season for price, he isnt getting younger, he isnt getting better, he isnt majically reverting to his vezina form.....what you see is what you are going to get all season long

Reactions: Fixxer

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Petry is more to blame on the Kapanen goal, he didn't take either the passer or shooter on the 2 on 1 which makes it difficult for the goalie.

Regardless of what the defense did or did not do, it ended with Kapanen one on one with Price and Price wasn't fast enough to stop the shot.

It is still pre season, let's see what happens next Wednesday.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

like i have been saying all summer, this season will be a repeat of last season for price, he isnt getting younger, he isnt getting better, he isnt majically reverting to his vezina form.....what you see is what you are going to get all season long

Do you expect Price's stats to be Vezina worthy on a team that is expected to be a bottom team and in the eyes of many will tank? That would be a 1st in history.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
If Price considered as Elephant...

In the same vein, his D's partners means Mammoth?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Price is paid to save the team of itself.

But still is just one player. (I hate his f***ing contract with passion)

Til we get a better defense in front of him, I think we'll see inconsistent results from him (not for a lack of efforts, though)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If Price considered as Elephant...

In the same vein, his D's partners means Mammoth?

No, because we regularly discuss the D's, so they can't be the elephant .The expression refers to issues that people do not discuss.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Do you expect Price's stats to be Vezina worthy on a team that is expected to be a bottom team and in the eyes of many will tank? That would be a 1st in history.

no....im just saying nobody should be expecting Prices play to improve from last season,

Price plays to the level of the team in front of him,

when Price first came into the league he stunk, because the team in front of him stunk,

over the years Prices numbers improved because the team in front of him improved,

Price peaked in 2014-2015 conveniently that is when our team peaked also, do you think that is just a coincidence???

Price didnt get better over those years, the team in front of him got better, making him look better then he really is or was,

now we stink again, so guess what?......so does Price

it shouldn't be a surprise, last year was not a fluke or "off year" :rolleyes:

do you think Price wins the vezina in 2015 if he was playing behind the team we have today? hell no!

Price is just not a top goalie in the league anymore, those days are gone.....Niemi will likely outplay him and have better numbers this season.

Price's play will not improve unless the team improves,

the team didn't get better since last season, so Price's play isn't going to get better either

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl and scrubadam

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Julien said they've barely practiced the penalty kill. They haven't had time and some of the guys that were there won't be in the regular season. How about waiting for some structure in front of him before worrying about his play?

Reactions: Rapala

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Wouldnt be concern normally cause it's only pre-season games but....the way he perform from december to march in the 2016-17 seasons and all of last year.....yes i am very worried, but there is not much management can do about it except hopes he get back to is own self

The problem with a goalie who lost his confidence is, it affect all the team confidence and it showed last year and in the third period yesterday

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Like i have been saying all summer, this season will be a repeat of last season for Price, he isn't getting younger, he isn't getting better, he isn't magically reverting to his vezina form.....what you see is what you are going to get all season long

You are scaring a lot of Habs fans who are afraid to even think of this possibility, but it certainly is a possibility. Let's see what happens next Wednesday.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
no....im just saying nobody should be expecting Prices play to improve from last season,

when Price first came into the league he stunk, because the team in front of him stunk,

over the years Prices numbers improved because the team in front of him improved,

Price peaked in 2014-2015 conveniently that is when our team peaked also, do you think that is just a coincidence???

Price didnt get better over those years, the team in front of him got better, making him look better then he really is or was,

now we stink again, so guess what?......so does Price

it shouldn't be a surprise, last year was not a fluke or "off year" :rolleyes:

do you think Price wins the vezina in 2015 if he was playing behind the team we have today? hell no!

This is the list of top 6 center since 2010:
- Gomez
- Plekanec
- Desharnais
- Danault

And the team "peak" to make Price look good......and then he won 4 trophy in a single season because of it while having one the worst top 6 centers in the NHL. Okay.

Show me a goaltender that has a good team in front of him and stunk, then he's at fault. Then he sucks.
But even then, it happens. Holtby lost his #1 spot last year WITH a good team in front of him but won the Cup.
Fleury was supposedly done, a cap dump and last year went to the finals and just signed a new deal.

Price never had a good team in front of him....he did have better than we have now, but never even close to a great team and fact prove that he never had a team with enough offensive to bail him out of anything.

Reactions: Fixxer

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Julien said they've barely practiced the penalty kill. They haven't had time and some of the guys that were there won't be in the regular season. How about waiting for some structure in front of him before worrying about his play?

because we saw the same thing last year and it looks like its repeating.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
This is how the Roy hate started, and he went on to win a couple more cups. Price would be dominant on a good team, he's going to suck bag on this one for some time. But hey, at least he's rich?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Huh? What fantasy land are you living in? Price came into the league the year we finished 3rd in the league and Price was 4th in Calder voting and 9th in Vezina voting.

Reactions: Hardworker33

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Everyone will blame the D in front of him and there is some merit to that, but Andersson had a D just as bad giving the puck away like candy and he still stopped 33 of 36 shots.

Price has to give the team a .920. If he is going sub .900% each game its not good enough and he is part of the problem.

Last night I don't care how or why but he should of stopped at least 24 of the 26 shots he face. chose one of them, if he is supposed to be an elite goalie he stops the puck.

Scorers are expected to score. Dmen are expected to play D, a goalie stops the puck, and an elite one doesn't just stop the easy shots they find a way to make the tough saves, the 2 on 1's the giveaways etc...

He can't face 26 shots and only stop 21 no matter how bad the D is in front of him.

Ridiculous. Not surprising tho

What you are saying is Price needs a sub 2 GAA with this team or else he is failing.

Andersson faces the likes of crest shooting Pleks while MTLs D gives up wide up open shots to Kadri, Matthews, Marner and Tavares and somehow you expect it to make zero difference. Mind blowing.

MTL scoring chances with their talent level arent equal to other teams.

Reactions: Peanut

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Price is paid to save the team of itself.

But still is just one player. (I hate his ****ing contract with passion)

Til we get a better defense in front of him, I think we'll see inconsistent results from him (not for a lack of efforts, though)

McDavid is paid even more and couldn't carry the Oilers out of the basement. Both Toews and Kane are paid over 10m yet neither saved Chicago from crappy the bed last season. And I doubt Toronto gave Tavares his contract thinking he's going to save the team.

Being paid 10m doesn't mean the player is paid to carry/save the team by himself.

We expect Price to carry the team because we have unrealistic expectations for goalies and because the only success we are likely to have is if he does carry the team. And for some reason rather then blame the GM for building a team that is overly reliant on one player we blame the player for not doing enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad