Blue Jays Discussion: Can We Clinch the AL Today? (avatars: posts 2-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah, because all the players fainted in New York, right? Let's not pretend baseball tournaments aren't one day things usually - where you can play 3-4 games a day. Let's pretend it's a physically taxing and demanding sport - and justify the rest they need.

You'll never see an NHL back to back game because it actually is taxing on the body... but all hell will break lose if a baseball game is played back to back. It'd suck for those players to have to ground balls once every 5 batters (it's spread out) and hit once every 9 hitters.

Baseball isn't taxing on the body? ... Wow, okay then.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Yeah, because all the players fainted in New York, right? Let's not pretend baseball tournaments aren't one day things usually - where you can play 3-4 games a day. Let's pretend it's a physically taxing and demanding sport - and justify the rest they need.

You'll never see an NHL back to back game because it actually is taxing on the body... but all hell will break lose if a baseball game is played back to back. It'd suck for those players to have to ground balls once every 5 batters (it's spread out) and hit once every 9 hitters.

You HAD to play them in New York because there was far, far (and the Rock means far) more at stake.

(Looks at second paragraph - thinks to self, oh geez, hockey fan, fish out of water talking about something they have no idea about...don't kill em Joe, let him off easy)

Carry on.

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
just imagine if we lost Donaldson to injury in the 2nd game? Than what?

no no its okay we could have won home field. who cares who gets hurt

resting the regulars was one of the greatest decisions Gibbons has made

I laugh at those who keep going on about if one of our starters would have been injured during that second game. Maybe we should have just rested our starters for every game after we clinched. After all, they could be lost to injury. Maybe we should use all our subs today and tomorrow, thus ensuring no injuries to our starters before the playoffs.

The fact is the starters got rested the day after clinching, they were hungover, and if they had played and won the second game of the doubleheader and won today they could have been rested tomorrow.

mikebel111*

Cant believe this is even a debate. The fact that this is even being discussed is kind of dumb

The bad weather messed everything up and sorry but resting the regulars in both games was a wise decision

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
One might say it's a bunch of bollocks

Let me fix this for you...

"One might say it's a bunch of..."

giphy.gif

"...bollocks:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
why would you play your top guys in horrible conditions in the 2nd game and next morning basically and basically being hungover. I rather not risk that.
So not Risk an injury to Donaldson and have everyone healthy.
or
win the AL risking losing a top guy over a stupid decision to play them in terrible conditions

Its a no brainer to me

what horrible conditions in the 2nd game?
it wasn't raining yet .

and easy: don't drink. party after you the 2nd game of the doubleheader

again. I don't know anyone who is saying "they should have played on Thursday" that's not the game I am questioning. the one I am questioning is , why not play the 2nd game of the doubleheader, especially when they did it vs NY. and that 2nd game was extra innings, and then they turned a round and did it again

so again. it confuses me.
if you are using "well they started to get hammered...."

(shrug)

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Cant believe this is even a debate. The fact that this is even being discussed is kind of dumb

The bad weather messed everything up and sorry but resting the regulars in both games was a wise decision

The fact that we have to debate half the stuff we debate in this thread is dumb. Resting the regulars was the right move, Revere is a below average hitter, etc. This isn't hard to understand, people!

Fisticuffs

Oct 25, 2013
Brampton
I don't know about you guys but I'm just happy that the Jays have made the playoffs after 22 years. Whatever they've done to get here is the reason I'll trust any decision they make from here on out. Enjoy the ride, don't nitpick every decision.

It's very "Toronto" of us to be cautious and wary of any success. Usually there is something to complain about, but now that we're winning, people are grasping at straws to find something to complain about.

I'm pretty sure to the jays players it doesn't matter who they face, and we should think the same. This team is special

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Exactly. Who says KC even makes it out of the first round...

Well do u want to face a teams ace once, or twice? Thats more of the issue for me and facing Texas.

Hamels twice doesnt sound great even if we have Price. Gallardo also pitches us tough.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Oh, so playing 162 games is not taxing with very few off days? Good thing we know you've played baseball before.

Who's talking about playing 162 games?

You HAD to play them in New York because there was far, far (and the Rock means far) more at stake.

(Looks at second paragraph - thinks to self, oh geez, hockey fan, fish out of water talking about something they have no idea about...don't kill em Joe, let him off easy)

Carry on.

Yes, so what you're saying is... it's possible. If we truly wanted to win the division, it was also possible. That's why the posters who care about the AL are annoyed - is that so hard to comprehend? Just because someone disagrees with your opinion is no reason to belittle their 'fandom' or 'baseball experience'.

Baseball isn't taxing on the body? ... Wow, okay then.

Not as taxing as hockey, would you disagree with that?

Trouba95*

Yeah, seems likely no one is happy the Jays have made the playoffs for the first time in 22 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learn to be happy. Stop looking for something to complain about.

mikebel111*

I laugh at those who keep going on about if one of our starters would have been injured during that second game. Maybe we should have just rested our starters for every game after we clinched. After all, they could be lost to injury. Maybe we should use all our subs today and tomorrow, thus ensuring no injuries to our starters before the playoffs.

The fact is the starters got rested the day after clinching, they were hungover, and if they had played and won the second game of the doubleheader and won today they could have been rested tomorrow.

I laugh at those who think resting them in these 2 games is some how going to be their downfall in the playoffs. yeah because home field is the "holy" ground lol.

and did I just see that Baseball isn't taxing on the body. really?

wow lol. good to know we have some smart baseball people around here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad