Blue Jays Discussion: Can We Clinch the AL Today? (avatars: posts 2-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Stephen A. Smith tries to stay current with too many sports. You can't be an expert in everything, you just end up being average.

That's probably the least of his problems. Ahead of that I would rank his ego, his arrogance, his apparent lack of concern with being beholden to facts or logic, and his aggressive and confrontational manner of dealing with people who oppose/refute/question/criticize him.

Just the other day he put out a "rumor" that Kevin Durant would consider Los Angeles his "top priority" destination if he were to leave Oklahoma City as a free agent. Not long after that Durant not only quashed that rumor, but questioned its sourcing given that Smith had never talked to Durant, his family, or his representation about the matter.

Smith's response, rather than admitting he got bad info or backing down because he was wrong, was to chastise Durant for questioning him, argue semantics, and strongly imply that he's somehow lost a measure of respect for Durant for having the audacity to publicly denounce the truthfulness of Smith's reporting of the issue.

Seriously, the exchange was basically this:

Smith: "Kevin Durant wants to target Los Angeles as a free agent if he leaves the Thunder, my sources say"

Durant: "That's a lie. I never said that. I've never told anyone that. And Smith never talked to me or anyone around me who might know if I had said something to that effect."

Smith: "I never said WILL! I said "I HEARD HE WILL!" I never said I talked to his family! I said I talked to people in the know. It doesn't matter what Durant says, I know what I heard because I've covered basketball for 2 decades! That trumps a guy giving his own unfiltered version of events because I'm Stephen A Smith! How dare he be offended that I reported something he claims is untrue! I'm the victim here! He should just put up with it because I don't need to talk to him to talk about him! I'll be here long after he's gone!"

He sounds like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum. It's exactly the same as this stupid Yankees debate. He has no leg to stand on, so he'll just shout his point as loudly and angrily as he can and insist that he shouldn't have to justify himself with anything but the flimsiest non-evidence for support.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Wouldn't Revere's inability to take a walk be mitigated by his placement as 1st in the lineup? I'm asking if pitchers would be unwilling to put a player on base when they're about to face Donaldson/Bautista/EE; both because those players are excellent, and because putting a player on base means you have to face all three of them in the same inning (barring gidp...which the Jays are excellent at...).

I fully agree with not blowing 7 million on a decent leadoff man when you can just put Pompey in that slot for less production and vastly less cost, I'm curious if the above is a factor.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It doesn't hurt their case.

Striking out less is great, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a below average (aggregate) hitter. He's great at making contact, but the contact he makes isn't great.

He has been making good contact this year, as evidenced by his 27% line drive rate (MLB average is 22%). For his career he is only at 20% but he has been better than average in each of the last 3 years (he was pretty bad his first 3 years). The problem is that even when he hits it solid he doesn't have enough power to split the gap or put it over the OFers heads for extra bases.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Wouldn't Revere's inability to take a walk be mitigated by his placement as 1st in the lineup? I'm asking if pitchers would be unwilling to put a player on base when they're about to face Donaldson/Bautista/EE; both because those players are excellent, and because putting a player on base means you have to face all three of them in the same inning (barring gidp...which the Jays are excellent at...).

I fully agree with not blowing 7 million on a decent leadoff man when you can just put Pompey in that slot for less production and vastly less cost, I'm curious if the above is a factor.

I think where people run into trouble is in assuming it's actually less production, when in reality, a sub 100 wRC+ hitter is quite easily replaced. Add in the mediocre defense, and one could argue that it could indeed be an upgrade for less cost.

But to each their own. Yay Hitz, and stuff.

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
After they clinched giving that game off made sense. The following game was bad conditions due to rain. It was best not to play the regulars to risk injury.

i was also one of those critical of Gibbons. The last game they were never going to play regardless of the weather because they were hungover from partying the night before after clinching. They should have played the regulars both games of the doubleheader I feel. Oh well.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Revere actually has a higher BB% with Toronto than he did with Philadelphia this year - 5.5% to 4.9%. In fact, that 5.5% would be his best for any full season of his career.

Just for comparison sake, the MLB average is 8.3%. Bautista is at 16.2% this year.

Trouba95*

So, if we play the Rangers, what will the rotation look like?

Price/Stroman/Dickey or Estrada?

vs

Hamels/Holland/Gallardo

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I think where people run into trouble is in assuming it's actually less production, when in reality, a sub 100 wRC+ hitter is quite easily replaced. Add in the mediocre defense, and one could argue that it could indeed be an upgrade for less cost.

But to each their own. Yay Hitz, and stuff.

Dustin Ackley has a negative WAR this year and his wRC+ of 92 is only slightly worse than Revere's 98 wRC+.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

jQmVFypWInKCc.gif

mikebel111*

still a great decision by Gibbons to rest the regulars. Got a needed day off and played well yesterday

very solid choice

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
still a great decision by Gibbons to rest the regulars. Got a needed day off and played well yesterday

very solid choice

short sighted decision. kc and texas prolly 2nd and 3rd best team in AL. would be great for them to face each other first round.

if minni comes back ill faint.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Why couldn't we of rested our players against Tampa after we clinched again? Plus there is 3 days off next week.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why couldn't we of rested our players against Tampa after we clinched again? Plus there is 3 days off next week.

so we wouldn't be playing hungover in the rain, injuring ourselves in our our 3rd game in 24 hours maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad