Blue Jays Discussion: Can We Clinch the AL Today? (avatars: posts 2-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
short sighted decision. kc and texas prolly 2nd and 3rd best team in AL. would be great for them to face each other first round.

if minni comes back ill faint.

Dude, you need to chill. Two games in less than 24 hours after clinching the division. You would've had the regulars play that second game at 8 pm that night, and then turnaround for a 12:30 start. Asinine.

Stop piping your unrealistic trash into this thread.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Dude, you need to chill. Two games in less than 24 hours after clinching the division. You would've had the regulars play that second game at 8 pm that night, and then turnaround for a 12:30 start. Asinine.

No one's saying to play the next day. Most people were suggesting you play the second game and rest your starters for one game - instead of handing the AL back to the Royals.

mikebel111*

just imagine if we lost Donaldson to injury in the 2nd game? Than what?

no no its okay we could have won home field. who cares who gets hurt

resting the regulars was one of the greatest decisions Gibbons has made

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

This x1000

mikebel111*

No one's saying to play the next day. Most people were suggesting you play the second game and rest your starters for one game - instead of handing the AL back to the Royals.

lol at handing?:laugh:

we still control our destiny.
win the next 2 and we win home field

good choice to rest the regulars

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
still a great decision by Gibbons to rest the regulars. Got a needed day off and played well yesterday

very solid choice

not if the goal was to win the conference

again. what people are pointing out, it wasn't yesterday's game. nor was it "the regulars should have played on Thursday." people are questioning . it was NOT playing the 2nd game of the double header.

as the Jays played a double header with starters vs . the Yankees. I don't know how much of a "great" decision it was to not do it in Baltimore. That - is what people are curious/questioning about. They did it not even twoish? weeks ago, so why was it "Oh yeah it totes makes sense not to do it!" when you could have potentially won that game, THEN partied, rested the A squad (so again,day of rest) come to Tampa (a ball park we don't do so hot in), and you potentially have two games to play with, vs . setting yourself up to hoping that Kansas loses one, OR sweep a series.

esp. when it could be v. benefical to have home field advantage throught the entire playoffs., and giving your ultimate control over your pitching line up (ie: making sure Dickey pitches at home for example).

It would be a good option. I think personally, we'll be okay, regardless of on the road, or what not, but -I am sorry, I personally don't see how it is a "great" decision, if you ultimately lose having the AL crown. If that in fact was the goal (which, it was).

Trouba95*

Anyone who is saying Gibby should've played the regulars in the wet conditions is out of their mind. Did you want Donaldson to pull a hammy? How about Bautista pulling his groin on a slip in the outfield?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
lol at handing?:laugh:

we still control our destiny.
win the next 2 and we win home field

good choice to rest the regulars

Handing because we can't use any of our good starters because we want them rested for the AL. Meanwhile, if we used them in Baltimore - we still have 3 days off after the regular season AND the team we would have played wouldn't be able to use their ace because they used him in the WC game.

We made it significantly more difficult, that's for sure - even if we end up winning the AL.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

One might say it's a bunch of bollocks

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Home field advantage vs KC would be great, but I thought the Jays get home field advantage anyway vs the other teams because they have better records, the only chance they wouldn't is if they play KC and it goes 7 games, so is it that much to really worry about?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Double header vs the Yankees: The Jays were in direct competition with the Yankees for the division lead .. Winning both games was crucial.

Double header vs the O's: The Jays clinched the division in the first game

One of these circumstances was not like the other.

I cannot see the starting players, who just clinched the team's first division title in 22 years, having the proper focus for the second game. In addition to that 18 innings of ball in one day is a lot of ball, and in game 158 of the season a double header is unnecessarily risking an injury.

Trouba95*

Home field advantage vs KC would be great, but I thought the Jays get home field advantage anyway vs the other teams because they have better records, the only chance they wouldn't is if they play KC and it goes 7 games, so is it that much to really worry about?

Exactly. Who says KC even makes it out of the first round...

mikebel111*

not if the goal was to win the division.

again. what people are pointing out, it wasn't yesterday's game. nor was it "the regulars should have played on Thursday." people are questioning . it was NOT playing the 2nd game of the double header.

as the Jays played a double header with starters vs . the Yankees. I don't know how much of a "great" decision it was to not do it in Baltimore. That - is what people are curious/questioning about. They did it not even twoish? weeks ago, so why was it "Oh yeah it totes makes sense not to do it!" when you could have potentially won that game, THEN partied, rested the A squad (so again,day of rest) come to Tampa (a ball park we don't do so hot in), and you potentially have two games to play with, vs . setting yourself up to hoping that Kansas loses one, OR sweep a series.

esp. when it could be v. benefical to have home field advantage throught the entire playoffs., and giving your ultimate control over your pitching line up (ie: making sure Dickey pitches at home for example).

It would be a good option. I think personally, we'll be okay, regardless of on the road, or what not, but -I am sorry, I personally don't see how it is a "great" decision, if you ultimately lose having the AL crown. If that in fact was the goal (which, it was).

why would you play your top guys in horrible conditions in the 2nd game and next morning basically and basically being hungover. I rather not risk that.
So not Risk an injury to Donaldson and have everyone healthy.
or
win the AL risking losing a top guy over a stupid decision to play them in terrible conditions

Its a no brainer to me

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Hilarious. Even better. Let's play 18 innings in late September! Because the players are 100% and fresh.

Yeah, because all the players fainted in New York, right? Let's not pretend baseball tournaments aren't one day things usually - where you can play 3-4 games a day. Let's pretend it's a physically taxing and demanding sport - and justify the rest they need.

You'll never see an NHL back to back game because it actually is taxing on the body... but all hell will break lose if a baseball game is played back to back. It'd suck for those players to have to ground balls once every 5 batters (it's spread out) and hit once every 9 hitters.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Anyone who is saying Gibby should've played the regulars in the wet conditions is out of their mind. Did you want Donaldson to pull a hammy? How about Bautista pulling his groin on a slip in the outfield?

again: i don't know anyone who was saying they should have played on Thursday.
if they are - that is silly.

I know I am just curious - why didn't they play the 2nd game of the doubleheader?

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Hilarious. Even better. Let's play 18 innings in late September! Because the players are 100% and fresh.

I'm speaking from experience. Double headers make you feel like **** the next day. You wake up and everything is sore and you're very tired. At this point in the season it was best to have the regulars sit out the second game and especially the 3rd game in 24 hours given the weather conditions. They never "handed the AL to the Royals", they're still in control of their own destiny. They need to either win 2 and they're guaranteed home field, or go 1-1 and hope KC loses tomorrow.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Double header vs the Yankees: The Jays were in direct competition with the Yankees for the division lead .. Winning both games was crucial.

Double header vs the O's: The Jays clinched the division in the first game

One of these circumstances was not like the other.

I cannot see the starting players, who just clinched the team's first division title in 22 years, having the proper focus for the second game. In addition to that 18 innings of ball in one day is a lot of ball, and in game 158 of the season a double header is unnecessarily risking an injury.

If that's the case, we have literally no chance of a World Series. They don't have the mental capacity to focus after winning a division title?

Trouba95*

Yeah, because all the players fainted in New York, right? Let's not pretend baseball tournaments aren't one day things usually - where you can play 3-4 games a day. Let's pretend it's a physically taxing and demanding sport - and justify the rest they need.

You'll never see an NHL back to back game because it actually is taxing on the body... but all hell will break lose if a baseball game is played back to back. It'd suck for those players to have to ground balls once every 5 batters (it's spread out) and hit once every 9 hitters.

Oh, so playing 162 games is not taxing with very few off days? Good thing we know you've played baseball before.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto

It's not unrealistic alot of people are saying the samething. But thanks for your opinion :popcorn:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

Really? These aren't 11 year olds with boundless energy and rubber muscles in a little league tournament. There's a reason greenies were so prevalent in the game for years until baseball cracked down on them: don't kid yourself, playing this game at a high level day in and day out for the spring/summer/fall against the best the world has to offer IS intensely draining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad