Blue Jays Discussion: Can We Clinch the AL Today? (avatars: posts 2-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

I have class at 6:00 PM mountain time. I wont be able to watch the entirety of 1st game since I need to leave after 3:30:(

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Buehrle will be on the playoff roster. Jays wouldn't disrespect him like that, and it's not as if he's been bad lately. He is also insurance in case a starter gets injured or blows up early, or if the game goes extras.

There's room for both he and Loup. We don't need 5 outfielders.

Also, I'd flip Dickey and Stroman's starts today. Would give Stroman the Dickey boost.

Two backup outfielders would likely have more impact than two lefty relievers. The Jays could use a five-man bench a lot more than they could use an eight-man pan.

I don't think the Jays are worried about players' feelings right now. They're worried about trying to win the World Series.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Why would you switch Stroman and Dickey's starts today? Would that really have any impact? Get Stroman in there to get us the clinch in the first game, have Dickey with the scrubs for the second game.

BTW for double headers like this do they have to post the lineups for both games before the first one starts? Or can they wait un between games to post the line up for game 2?

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
jays bullpen is full of fireballers, maybe Burhle's arm would be a nice changeup to throw at a team?

Trouba95*

My dream scenario for the playoffs:

Astros/Angels beat out the Yanks in the WC game
Astros or Angels/Jays in the ALDS
Royals/Jays in the ALCS (oh man would that be sweet)
Cubbies/Jays in the WS

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
jays bullpen is full of fireballers, maybe Burhle's arm would be a nice changeup to throw at a team?

Thing with Buehrle coming out of the pen is that he's all about getting batters off balance and you can't really establish a baseline, in terms of what the batter is expecting, going less than once through the order. If he's a long man if one of our starters get tuned up for 5-6 runs. Sure. But I wouldn't toss him out there for an inning.

Trouba95*

Yeah, only way Buehrle comes in would be mop-up job. No way he comes into a high-leverage situation.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Why would you switch Stroman and Dickey's starts today? Would that really have any impact? Get Stroman in there to get us the clinch in the first game, have Dickey with the scrubs for the second game.

BTW for double headers like this do they have to post the lineups for both games before the first one starts? Or can they wait un between games to post the line up for game 2?

They're switching starters for today?

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Its going to be weird if they win the division in game 1 and have to mute their celebrations until after game 2 :D

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Thing with Buehrle coming out of the pen is that he's all about getting batters off balance and you can't really establish a baseline, in terms of what the batter is expecting, going less than once through the order. If he's a long man if one of our starters get tuned up for 5-6 runs. Sure. But I wouldn't toss him out there for an inning.
that's a good point

don't care enough to look it up but I am guessing he is like Estrada in giving up most of his runs early

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Absolutely no way Buerhle makes the playoff roster IMO. He's either lost it or he's too tired. He's not going to come out of the pen and he's not pitched better than Price/Stroman/Estrada let alone Price/Stroman/Estrada/Dickey. I appreciate his efforts that kept us in the hunt through the beginning of the year but for a couple months now IIRC he has fallen off a cliff.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Its going to be weird if they win the division in game 1 and have to mute their celebrations until after game 2 :D

Dunno if it's speculation on his part or if he was told, but he says they'll celebrate on the field if they clinch after gm1. Then do it up right after gm2 when they have more than 20min to enjoy things.

Trouba95*

If Pompey doesn't make the postseason roster...Gibby deserves to be fired. He can win a freaking game alone with his legs. Just because he didn't have a good showing at the beginning of the season doesn't mean it'll be the same now. This is the only roster spot I'm really concerned about.

Trouba95*

Catchers (2)

Russell Martin
Dioner Navarro

Infielders (7)

Josh Donaldson (3B)
Edwin Encarnacion (DH)
Ryan Goins (2B)
Cliff Pennington (Backup IF)
Justin Smoak (1B vs. R, PH otherwise)
Troy Tulowitzki (SS)
Chris Colabello (1B vs. L, PH otherwise)

Outfielders (4)

Jose Bautista (RF)
Kevin Pillar (CF)
Dalton Pompey (4OF/PR)
Ben Revere (LF)

Pitchers (12)

Brett Cecil (L #1)
RA Dickey (#3)
Marco Estrada (#4)
Latroy Hawkins (R #2)
Liam Hendriks (SU)
Mark Buehrle (L #3)
Aaron Loup (L #2)
Mark Lowe (SU)
Roberto Osuna (CL)
David Price (#1)
Aaron Sanchez (R #1)
Marcus Stroman (#2)

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
C-Thole
1B-Hague
2B-Barney
3B-Pennington
SS-Diaz/Kawasaki
LF-Revere/Diaz
CF-Pompey
RF-Carrera
DH-Navarro/Colabello

I'd love to see this lineup for game 2 :laugh:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If Pompey doesn't make the postseason roster...Gibby deserves to be fired. He can win a freaking game alone with his legs. Just because he didn't have a good showing at the beginning of the season doesn't mean it'll be the same now. This is the only roster spot I'm really concerned about.

Yeah fired:help:

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Dunno if it's speculation on his part or if he was told, but he says they'll celebrate on the field if they clinch after gm1. Then do it up right after gm2 when they have more than 20min to enjoy things.

hopefully one of the O's doesn't try to hit one of our stars in retaliation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad