Can the Leafs win the Atlantic (10-1-1 in last 12)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not so sure that they will collapse per say, of course they will have a slumps but this team is very different mentally than the last few yrs.

thats true but the Leafs have been a decent road team, they are 5-2-3

Yeah but 17 of their next 22 games on the road after their next 2 at home is a very tough stretch for any team. Back to back road games and 3 games in 4 nights on the road plus adding in the travel will eventually take it's toll. It's gonna be a tough stretch for the Leafs coming up so we'll see how they handle it.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Why is every post on here about the leafs? Why is there no "will the Boston Bruins make the playoffs?" Threads? Talk about something different for once.

bobbyt911

No this is a typical leafs hot streak, they will normalize again soon enough
thing is the Leafs normal isn't much below their play of late

Yeah but 17 of their next 22 games on the road after their next 2 at home is a very tough stretch for any team. Back to back road games and 3 games in 4 nights on the road plus adding in the travel will eventually take it's toll. It's gonna be a tough stretch for the Leafs coming up so we'll see how they handle it.

if they go .500 on the next 17 road games they should be in the top 3

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

Meh, most teams will have stretches like that at some point in the season. Montreal for example will finish their season with 16 road games in the final 27 games. Not as bad, but still

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Nope.

Even if Boston isn't better (and that's an if), Tampa Bay, Detroit and Montreal all are.

What makes Montreal better than Toronto? The Leafs are outscoring them by a wide margin and they have only let up 3 more goals with two games in hand.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
thing is the Leafs normal isn't much below their play of late

if they go .500 on the next 17 road games they should be in the top 3

Yes if they can go .500 or better in these 17 upcoming road games they will be in great shape for the rest of the season.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
I think they make the playoffs as a wildcard and get bounced in the first round. We all know how the Leafs are. They'll go 8-1 at some point but will also go 1-8. That is guaranteed.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Doubt it. Even though their possession is better, it's still bottom 5 with top-5 PDO, not a recipe for long-term success

They were 1st in 12-13, 4th last year and are again 4th this year.

PDO regressing towards 1 for all teams is a myth and 101.9 is not so significantly high that you have to assume it comes back down given their history.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If the Leafs can start outshooting their opponents on a regular basis and keep up with their play, then yes.

As they play right now, no!

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Don't worry, the traditional collapse at the end of the year is still coming. The Leafs never fail to do that, last season they were convincingly on a playoff position at the trade deadline but then they went ahead and collapsed and missed the playoffs.

How many times can you name that they have collapsed at the end of the season?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I don't think anyone's gonna unseat Tampa unless something drastic happens. None of Boston, Detroit, Montreal or Toronto are good enough.

As for those four, any of them could end up anywhere, TBH. I think the next half of the season will show a lot. Toronto has to get past their annual second-half of the season meltdown. Montreal and Detroit have to prove they're not over-achieving and they won't come back to Earth. Boston just got Chara back and hopefully Krejci soon so we'll see if they're mediocre record is a result of injuries or actually represents their talent. Plus I'm sure we'll see things at the trade deadline.

So could the Leafs win the division? I mean sure, technically anyone in the Atlantic could. Do I think they will? No. But, right now it's anyone's game.

geometrically*

I cant see the leafs finishing ahead aheah of the bolts, habs, wings and maybe the bruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig